Year End Grade: Robert Saleh - Head Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your grade?

1. A+ to A-

1.4%
  2. B+ to B-

21.8%
  3. C+ to C-

49.3%
  4. D or Lower

27.5%
  1. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I second this

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

To be fair, 67% of people expected less than 7 wins. 90% 7 or less. Now, expectations do change, but if you compare to what people thought prior to the season, Saleh exceeded them and definitely met them.
    https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/2022-season-win-prediction-poll.97754/#post-4222231

Jets79 likes this.
  3. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Agree completely. Before the season, hardly anybody had the Jets contending. People thought that 7 or 8 wins would have been huge step forward.

They can't just keep firing coaches and GMs every time disappointing things happen. They are still building and this year was a good stepping stone.

The crazy thing about this season is that half of those games were 1 possession games and could have gone either way. They could have 10 wins or just 4 wins if a few plays down the stretch bounced a little bit differently.

Jets79 likes this.
  4. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Look at you in your glass house.

5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

That doesn't even make sense.

6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

You think those winning franchises were built that way? All of these teams has had a time of hardship before they were relevant. It didn't happen over night and those winning teams have a common theme. They have had the same HC/GM tandem the entire time.

When do we allow that to manifest? To happen?

We finally see promise or potential, yet, now everyone wants to fire everybody for the great collapse of the almighty Jets team of 2022? Come on...

This Isn't the same. I can see It. Despite the heartbreak that was this season. I can still see things looking up. Despite the missed pick on Zach Wilson. I still see this time might just be different.

It sucks that I feel like the minority with It, but, that usually seems to be the theme. Which Is fine.

We shall see what happens I guess.

I won't argue that our owners have sucked for years. Clearly. I can't say they haven't listened to the fan base though, the anger, the wrath. To be honest, I think that's been an absolute flaw of Woody. Stop listening to all of us and find the right people to do what needs to be done.

I think maybe, just maybe, we have that now with this GM/HC combo.

What do I know though?

chandler likes this.
  7. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

Agreed. Parcells didn't do too well with Mirer after Vinny went down. Wasn't Zach worse than Mirer? But can we really compare Saleh to Parcells? Picking a DC or OC to be your HC is like drafting a QB: you will be spending 2-3 years to find out wkat you really got. We even hired Herm who wasn't even a coordinator. We hired Gase over McCarthy. How did that work out on both ends?

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Parcells has the huevos to yank him for a punter to play QB, then go to Ray Lucas, who almost saved the season....

cmcm750203 likes this.
  9. burf

burf Well-Known Member

My fav Saleh quote of the day... about MLF & the offense...
    Yup, results are unimportant... & it's the losing (adversity) that shows growth.
    If that's what he's been feeding the players, they just followed their leader, & must be ecstatic.

Brook! and Cman68 like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I gave him a B. I think some here are over-reacting

1st off, nobody expected us to make the playoffs this year. next year was the timeline to be a playoff team. this year we wanted improvement. he took over a 2 win team and we won 4 last year and at least 7 this year. he's doubled wins every year.
    2nd, he promised meaningful games in december and delivered. we entered december in control of our destiny. we haven't had a meaningful December game since 2015. thats the 1st time in 7 years we were in the race
    3rd, we lost way too much talent to injury in 1 spot. o-line especially OT was hit hard, plus breece
    4th, he handled some tough situations great. he handled moore well, he handled zach well, he even handled flacco well.

I won't give him an A because he has had some questionable clock management and punts. and because we collapsed in december. but still he gave us a good year with a playoff shot and gives us a future where players want to be. really we are just a decent QB and some injury luck away from being a playoff team and have a 3-4 year window thanks to JD and his ridiculous draft class

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

While no head coach can control quarterback play, they all can control which quarterback plays.

12. Ralebird

The persistent fan noise about players, and now coaches, being reluctant to come to New York because of media scrutiny is of no importance. If there is a head coach candidate, even the second coming of Rockne, Lombardi and Shula combined, who is at all concerned about standing up to the media he doesn't deserve any coaching job in the NFL. I don't want a guy who is supposed to be a leader of men displaying that kind of weakness.

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I wonder how it would have played out if Zach wasn't injured.

14. Ralebird

I wonder how it would have played out if White, rather than Flacco, played the first three games. I cannot believe that Flacco started those games because anyone believed that gave the Jets a better chance to win but because Wilson was being protected in his absence.

Since1969 and BrowningNagle like this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

There were mumblings that White was not having a good camp/pre-season... so there's that.
    That's not to say that things were not compromised to "develop" Zach Wilson.

If we left two (or more) wins get away because of that... then I hope it was worth it in the long term.

This team needs a quarterback... we know that now.

16. Ralebird

I pay very little attention to mumblings and other unsubstantiated nonsense; it tends to piss off some people who deal in that kind of currency but helps me keep a clearer picture of what is more likely going on. I didn't need to wait until now to be confident in my opinion that the Jets need a quarterback, I was there at the bye. It's not the wins that may have been left on the table early on that I question but missing a better look at what White actually is or could be, I don't think that was by accident.

17. Ralebird

He should stop telling us how well things are going and show us.

I believe the big divide among fans here is that those who want the team to succeed so badly that they think unwarranted optimism is as good as results cannot understand those who have seen it for decades and withhold their enthusiasm until we have more than empty talk to rely upon while still rooting for success.

burf and Cman68 like this.
  18. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

This team had an identity when winning. Thought defense, run game, don’t turn ball over, create turnovers. Didn’t make mistakes except for the couple RFP which everytime cost games. Then the bye comes. They drinks their own koolaid, defense thinks they can just show up and be undisciplined, offense decided to throw the ball 50 times a game, turnovers galore, bad special teams, undisciplined, uninspired.

I put this on CS. Buffalo, jump off sides, bad discipline, Detroit, 4th and inches at 50 and players just say F it and screw their assignments, bad clock management, there is at least one win, dolphins against 3rd string again would be two. If CS can’t get those wins, they deserve to go.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

good question to ask. Maybe they would’ve realized he wasn’t the answer sooner

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’d be so Jets to fire Saleh and go hire someone like Steve Wilks even though Saleh has clearly built something.

Whether it can turn into a consistent playoff something or not remains to be seen, but he’s progressed the franchise.