Year End Grade: Mike LeFleur - OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your Year End Grade for MLF

1. A+ to A-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B+ to B-

6.4%
  3. C+ to C-

28.2%
  4. D or below

65.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'm just saying I don't want a guy who has any idea of going on a crusade to make somebody into something he's shown no sign of becoming. If there's a player on the team he gets every effort to make him better but not at the expense of the team. Wilson has reached his potential, even if it's not what you want it to be.

We'd be planning playoff trips tonight instead of doing a post mortem on the season if the Jets had not proritized Wilson over the team this year.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Just what exactly are your credentials for evaluating players, especially QBs? How can you possibly make a definitive statement like that? Maybe you're right, but it's also possible that Zach hasn't reached his potential because the Jets don't know how to develop it.

And why would any coach do anything at the expense of the team? Have you ever heard of any coach doing that? Moreover, where do you get the idea that Reich would "go on a crusade" for ANY reason?

Don't bother answering.

boozer32 likes this.
  3. Ralebird

My credentials are just like anyone else's here, just more than most. They're based on watching the NFL and this team for sixty years. They focus on history, statistics and the old fashioned eye test. Of course I could be proven wrong next year or five years down the road, but I see no reason in changing what I've been steadfast about since he first emerged as the front-runner for the position.

It was your post about Reich being the guy to get Wilson to reach his potential that took the focus off anything but winning games that sounded like a crusade and that would just be continuing a mistake going on three years in the making. As I said earlier, I believe the focus was not solely on winning games this year which had Flacco start the first three games and Zach Wilson finish games he should never have started. Why would any coach do that?

4. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

I disagree with this. I think the Jets made a big mistake declaring Wilson was the sole problem in his two losses to the Pats. They scapegoated a 2nd year player and declared everything else was Playoff caliber. They had an opportunity to play him against an awful Bears team and get his confidence back. Instead, the fantasy of Mike White bloomed out of a terrible Chicago D. Mike F’N White shirts come out for Minnesota and we have not won since. All the things that were the reason we lost the Pats games in addition to Wilson playing terribly were still there and not addressed because only if they had a QB. That is when this season was lost.

5. ColoradoContrails

I too have 60 years watching this team, and have used stats and historical evidence to support my opinions, but I don't state them with the certainty that you did above. So I'm wondering what makes you qualified to make such an assertion? Your answer is what I expected: you're not qualified to make a definitive claim as you did.

As to my post about Reich maybe being the guy who could help turn Zach around, there was nothing in my post to suggest that he should do that at the expense of winning games.

How about for once just admitting you were wrong?

boozer32 likes this.
  6. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Yes. and in fact Belichick laid the blueprint on how to beat this team in the first Pats game.

Run the ball, and attack the interior with pass catching TEs. Saleh and Ulbrich were never able to adjust because they don’t have the personnel. and everyone blamed the QB and MLF. They found an alternative for the QB, but never addressed the LBs and Safeties. They also stabilized the OL.

Pete Carroll had enough tape to realize, i don’t even need Metcalf or Lockett, my tough running RBs can gash the interior of this defense.

Tough to swallow, but we’re not a good team.

boozer32 and Lon Chaney like this.
  7. Ralebird

Correct me if I'm wrong - I don't believe anyone within the Jets organization ever said anything like Zach Wilson was the sole problem in the two losses to the Patriots. Nor do I believe anyone was scapegoated or was the rest of the organization claimed to be playoff caliber. If a team loses because of some Tshirts, they're playing in the wrong league.

Putting Wilson up against Chicago when it was clear to almost every observer he needed time off would have just extended the misery and would have gone counter to attempting to win every game. Not even his guys Simms and Warner pushed for that.

8. Ralebird

Okay, fine, if that's not what you meant, I was wrong. I thought you had laid Wilson aside for what he has shown to be.

May I assume you are no better equipped to opine with any certainty? Of course I've been right about Wilson for three years and you just got on board, well sort of, in the last few weeks.

9. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

The scheme/game planning doesn't elevate the players. The players have to elevate the plan and unfortunately we just do not have enough talent for that.

10. ColoradoContrails

No you can't assume that. Just because Wilson hasn't shown himself to be ready yet doesn't mean he will never be. Look at Geno for one great example. Of course since Zach hasn't proven himself yet it's uncertain whether he will ever reach his potential, but it's still possible. He still has exceptional physical tools, and he has shown flashes of being able to perform at a high level. Given a decent, consistent OL, and an offensive scheme tailored to his strengths instead of one that stubbornly insists on him changing what he does best because that's what the OC insists on, he might do much better.

You can assume that I think it was the right decision to sit him in favor of MW, but I also think it was wrong to deactivate him entirely. Bringing him off the bench today in relief of MW might've produced the spark they needed to win.

You've closed your mind about Zach. That's fine, but that doesn't mean the Jets have.

11. ColoradoContrails

If the players they have can't do that, then they need to change the plan.

12. Ralebird

Okay - tell me what experience you have that is better than mine to have an opinion that is better than mine.

I already said a few posts back that Wilson could prove me wrong next year or in five (precisely with Geno Smith in mind) - that's not something that someone with a closed mind would have said but you were accusing people of being closed minded two years ago when you were penciling Wilson in for the Hall of Fame and they wouldn't get on board. Let's not revise the history of Zach Wilson on this board at this stage, okay?

You're entitled to believe Wilson should have come off the bench today as I'm entitled to believe the Jets had a better chance riding with White, or even Flacco. That all proves nothing except our opinions differ. Just clarify one thing please, aren't you the guy who started the thread entitled "OK, I'm done with Wilson" just over a week ago? At least my opinion has remained consistent.

13. red75bronco

What other change did they make beside Wilson? Did they change anything else?

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Geno had some terrible games as a Jet, but he also did things like this (apparently you have to click the links to see the games) that showed there was a potential good QB in there if he could somehow get it together. Whereas Zach's best games have been the games that Cousins, Garoppolo, etc. put together on an average week. Zach has never even had a single game in two years as good as an average game for an elite QB. There's just nothing there with him.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  15. Ralebird

Tell us who at the Jets said the loss was all on Wilson, that's what you claimed after all. I'm not going to discuss things people simply make up.

16. red75bronco

It is the only change they made and they allowed the ridiculous MW T shirts. It was played up big time that way. Of course no one publicly said that, but you could tell you the players comments.

Why deactivate Wilson when demoted. Point to any other QB treated that way, veteran, young guy, anyone.

17. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

No you’re right, let’s piss away yet another season because our offensive coordinator has no ability to adapt a game plan to the talent available to him. While we’re at it let’s bring back Gase to act as assistant head coach

18. Ralebird

So, you made that whole post up? Let's just try to make our points by dealing in what actually happened, not fiction.

There were many weeks this season when only two quarterbacks were active, that means there were weeks when two were inactive. All four were never active at the same time. What's your point? And why has anyone made such a big deal about Tshirts that supported the starting quarterback? It's not like anyone was wearing a shirt promoting a guy who wasn't active.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Fire MLF while keeping Saleh and Douglas and having Zach at QB1 until free agency, which is after we have to hire the OC, and only the Gases of the world will want the job.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  20. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Fuck MLF!!! Shanny can make Mr. Irrelevant look like the second coming off Tom Brady from an early perspective. MLF hasn't done jack with second overall pick, and a capable backup. Get rid of this fool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.