The New "Tuck Rule"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fenwyr, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Gator

Gator Active Member

Eggzactly. In fact when they replayed it at the game the crowd roared 2 seconds into the replay as if to say...Our ball.

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Logic 101:

1)Chad Pennington is a player.
    2)Chad Pennington threw the pass.
    3)Chad Pennington watched the pass go backwards.
    4)Therefore, a player had to know it was a backwards pass.

3. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

I'm sure you've had your fair share of threads on here. And the fact that you've been here longer than me does NOTHING in supporting your argument. I don't know why you have such a hard time accepting that the pass was clearly backwards, but you obviously do. You came in, guns blazing yelling about bias and rule changes when none of that took place.

The fact is, the ref saw the ball travelling backwards, the d-lineman knocked it down and it was recovered. I really fail to see the problem here.

4. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

And you have the balls to call ME ignorant. That was the worst call I have ever seen.

All I stated to even start this thread was that I have never seen a tipped pass near the LOS called a fumble, ever. Rather than relaxing and chatting about it, you made it an argument. Just because YOU are OK with the call, than I HAVE to be. Screw you.

5. Cinvis

Cinvis New Member

We probably have never seen an example of this before.
    I don't think there are very many examples anyway.
    How many times does the defender get deep enough to knock down a lateral? They would have to know that the play was coming.:wink:

6. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I guess my point is that there is no way in bloody hell that same call would have gone against the Patriots.

7. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

9. Section 227. Row 5

That's correct. That should have been Clue #1 to our sidelines. Somebody should have alerted Mangini and we need to wrok on this for future games. There are times when you have to throw the red flag because it's highly questionable. This one wasn't one of those times.

I'm not pissed about the call. The call was correct. The throwing of the red flag is what pissed me off. I even remember yelling out, "WTF are you doing? Now we're gonna lose a Time Out!"

10. Section 227. Row 5

It certainly would have. I respect you as a poster but you really need to let this dead horse be.

11. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

12. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

13. JetBlue

you still don't get it. the ball being knocked down AFTER it has left the QB's hand is in no way similar to a play in which the QB's arm is hit while either in the motion of throwing or being cocked back to throw.

arguing they are the same is either dishonest or ignorant. you decide which you are.

14. Section 227. Row 5

15. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

16. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Fen, your a good poster so calm yourself down a bit before you get a banning.

It doesnt matter if the ball was tipped or not because it was ALREADY a backwards pass.I was at a bar with a few other jets fans, and most were saying it wasnt.... but after they took there 'homer shades' off they agreed it was backwards...tipped or not its a live ball because it was goin backwards....let it die....

17. Section 227. Row 5

After reading the above thread, I'm in agreement. The board must really exist for the purposes of saying other posters are "full if it" and for making inflamatory exclamations such as "Screw You!" In the future, I'll use your posts as a guidleline and resolve myself that discussion has no place here. Thank you for clarifying this.

#57 Section 227. Row 5, Jan 9, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  18. JetBlue

part of a discussion is at leat the willingness to listen and acknlowledge the legitimacy of what others are saying. instead, you are busy calling people f-wads and telling them to shut the f-up. can't really have a discussion if everyone shuts the f-up, can you.

you don't want to discuss, you want to defend, even in the face of evidence to the contrary of your position. but if you think everyone here, who believe it to be the right call, are wrong, why are you bothering to even discuss it. why not just go find another board where people agree with you -- probbaly because you won't.

19. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Let's just tone it down in here some.

20. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

1. I only made those comments after negative comments were made to me personally.
    2. I am a Jets fan. I try to be as objective as possible, but it always seems close calls with the Pats (not just against the Jets) go to the Pats every single time.
    3. I was going for the Pats in 2002. My father lives there and is a Pats fan. I wanted his team to win. The "tuck" call was, and will always be, entirely BS regardless.
    4. The ball was on it's way up. Period. Only instant replay was able to show it was a lateral. The call on the field should have been incomplete. Let the Pats throw the red flag and have it reviewed. I may have even supported it going in their favor.
    5. At the very least, it should have been a dead ball when recovered. It was loud and the players had no idea if a whistle had even been blown. With the way personal fouls and fines have been handed out this year, who could blame them?
    6. Of course the fans were cheering when the ball was picked up. I've seen fans go wild on these types of plays, and many if not most of the times it's not even ruled a turnover. This relates to #5.
    7. A clear toss to a RB 2-3 yards behind the QB is very different than a clear pass to a WR who may or may not be in a position to catch the ball ahead of where the ball was thrown.

Finally... Let me just say that I HATE that play. It blows up on us ten times more than it works.