Said during the Bears game that the defense didn't play well

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETFUEL1580, Jan 1, 2023.

1. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Who knew it would become this bad. This defense did not play well down the stretch. Yeah I know the offense stinks as well, but we knew that from the start of the season. We never blew anyone out with a full team. Those same stat geeks who posted their numbers tell me again how good are we on paper? I'm more of visual person. Like see a great defense with my eyes and not so much the numbers, The freaking Bears were able to move the ball on us without Justin Fields one week after we keep the Pats at 3 points. I'd say it got progressively worse down the stretch as this team couldn't stop jack shit. Again don't look at the numbers look at the plays. Not being able to stop the run or make any kind of clutch stops. No pass rush, no rushing defense, and no "big" turnovers when we need them. Called it during the Bears game, where are your numbers now after all this?

Good season overall, but as usual maybe next year.

Jojo, ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  2. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

I agree with you nd also said it. Then promptly was told how many points they gave up and how stupid I was. We’ll hey only gave up 23 today. Must be great.first Pats game, up 10-3, could have been 17-3 at half except for D. Next time O got ball back, it was 13-10. O then sucked, but D not getting off the field is a problem.

3. JETFUEL1580

Well you obviously have common sense. Btw, this is not gloating or anything of such. I'm just as pissed and disappointed as many of my fellow Jets fans. But there was a bad trend that started right around Thanksgiving that most didn't want to accept. The energy has died little by little as the weeks progressed. Is it finally fair to say that the defense was a tad bit overrated? or are you gonna say we still are in the top ten numbers wise? just asking

4. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

The defense was massively overrated. Their numbers were inflated by playing so many backup and third string QBs at the beginning of the season.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

They were never a championship level "D" or even a top 10 "D", but probably closer to a top 15 "D". Compared to the last few years that was a massive improvement. And they have a lot of young talent on that side. Still, they have some big holes - LB and SS to name a couple. And they have to learn (be coached) to create and convert more turnovers.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  6. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

A good solid defense but not great by any means.
    Can’t consistently stop the run, too many missed tackles, lack of consistent pressure and never seem to get turnovers or create good field position for the offense.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, our D could be better, but it is still very good. This is an offense oriented League. It's hard to get the ball back often for anyone. Not many teams' defenses did better than our defense. #1 defense SF just allowed 34 points. I haven't checked, but I am pretty sure by both points and yards we are still a top 5 defense or very close to it. Especially with our shit of offense, which time after time puts defense on the field. I just don't think you can watch today's game, and say defense is the problem with this team.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The defense wasn't great today, but it wasn't why we lost.

9. JETFUEL1580

Look, where were the big sacks and game changing interceptions? Where were the big plays on defense in general. I'm outside of the Q Williams sac/strip on Lawrence, we just lacked a big pop to put our crappy offense in a better position. It's great to get stops, don't get me wrong, and I know our offense is straight ass, but don't convince that this D was special because of their inflated numbers as a prior poster just mentioned cause that's all it was.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The talk of the Jets being an elite or championship defense all year has been stupid. We have a very good defense. It’s above average at home and when Quinnen Williams has dominated games (maybe half the season), we’ve been close to elite.

But it’s been overrated by fans. We have bad linebackers which is tough to overcome.

11. JETFUEL1580

Didn't say that was just saying this is a microcosm of what this defense has been since Thanksgiving when we needed to be at our best. We didn't beat a lot of great QB's or offenses, aside from Rodgers very early who has finally looked like Rodgers as of the last month.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I know this isn't a top 5 defense, but it never was. It's a playoff-caliber defense though; a bunch of playoff teams would be happy with their defense performing like ours did today.

Jonathan_Vilma and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  13. JETFUEL1580

LB and SS need to be upgraded and get younger.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. JETFUEL1580

I can agree with that. Anyone with a proper offense that is. Just wish this D could have made more big plays over the past few weeks. We are a typical bend but don't break defense.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We did have big sacks. Yeah, no TOs, but at the end of the day we didn't yield too many points on the road. It sucked to allow early TD because of the momentum, that's for sure, but still. If we have competent offense, our defense can keep us in games. Look around the League. Which defense is clearly better than ours? If you are telling me SF, Buff, NE, Ravens are better, OK, fair enough. But we are right there after them among the next best group. It's a very good defense. If only our offense did just as well as our defense.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  16. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

They have potential, but Ulbrich is still a terrible playcaller: Soft zone D and no blitzing, everything designed around not giving up big passing plays. Even after teams figure that out and go with short dink and dunk passing, he STILL doesn't change up the defense to stop it. His playcalling does the exact thing it's designed NOT to do: Give up big plays. Offenses are cranking out long runs, as well as short passes with long gains after the catch, as there's rarely anybody within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage at any given time.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  17. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I was just thinking the very same thing. The defense came out flat against the Bears but, were able to overcome it against a crappy team playing on the road. This defensive malaise has snowballed for the last month into an avalanche of ineptitude.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  18. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

They flashed a stat during the game today that I felt perfectly represented the Jets defense: Lead the league in QB hits. Not Sacks, Not tackles for loss, not fumbles forced nor recovered, not interceptions nor lowest rushing nor passing yardage nor total yardage allowed. Not fewest points. QB "hits"... meaning, the Jets lead the league in "almost making the play".

19. JETFUEL1580

I must have missed that, but that sounds pretty accurate. "Almost" like almost making the playoffs as well lol.

20. JETFUEL1580

I agree our offense stinks. Just horrific outside of the Dolphins game. Score wise that is.

Borat likes this.