OK, I'm done with Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Dec 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I was certainly one of those, but it's not like any of us influenced what the Jets did - or do. It's just opinions in the end.

Borat and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  2. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

I was with you on Zach for a long time, but I started to have serious doubts around the 5 or 6 game mark, and after the Pats debacle I knew he was too broke to be fixed this season. IMHO, the staff should have just sat him for the rest of the year rather put him out there again in a situation where failure was 95% pre-ordained and only more damage could be done. Zach should really be gone at this point, but given his draft status and his contract hit, I think we have to bring him back as third string next year and just let him sit and learn and see if an unlikely miracle can occur. There is no question Zach has impressive physical skills, but for anybody who doubts it, we are learning the position is 80 to 90% mental and technique.

As for Mike, his teammates love him and he inspires confidence. That counts for a lot. He is still new to a starting role, and he seems to be a player who will work, learn, and improve. The two issues with remain:

1. He has not proven he can get the ball in the end zone.
    2. He has not proven he can stay healthy, and that is a biggie given his major weakness - immobility.

I think the Jets absolutely have to bring Mike back. The locker room would be lost if they dont unless his replacement plays at a very high level - LOL on the Jets getting that one right. If they dont bring Mike back and he stars elsewhere, I just cant even imagine the fallout - bye, bye Joe for sure. If you do bring Mike back, the #1 off season mission becomes fixing the O Line. Anything and everything else can wait.

But, you cannot enter the season relying only on Mike. We will have a lot of $$$ invested in the QB position between Zach and bringing Mike back. I think this is a great time to audition Streveler for a QB2 role rather than rush Mike back, and then go from there. I would like to see Streveler get at least one start and see what happens. It is not like we are still in the playoff hunt. If we are paying fairly big QB $$$ to two guys, we need a cheap, but viable, third option for our QB2.

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He's better. I'm telling ya, the kid Is the real deal. I'm not just a homer, when he gets some weapons and a better OL. He's going to be dangerous In the years to come. I'm more than confident after watching him play for as long as I did. He Is every bit right there with TL coming out of college. No way he should've been derailed the way he was pre-draft. What a costly error that was for our Jets. It'll show, If It hasn't already. It should, dudes been playing good football this year as Is.

You just wrong. I don't know what else to say. He Is really good In the pocket with great pocket feel.

It's whatever though.. You can't prove It, I know you can't, so I'll leave It alone. All the evidence suggests otherwise.

Br4d and Borat like this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

Can we relax on this stuff? Calling out everyone. We get It, they get It.

You don't have to, you are you, but, It's unnecessary If I'm honest. I NEVER thought Zach Wilson was the guy but I put on my Jet colored glasses and I hoped like hell to be wrong. Truly, I did.

..and If I was. I wouldn't have batted an eye, I would've taken whatever BS I needed to.

On the other hand. Those In Zach Wilson's corner wanted what we ALL wanted. For the kid to be the real deal. To be really good and to help us get to the playoffs, then to be good enough to eventually win the whole damn thing.

Nobody wants this outcome, holding on for as long as you can pushes that dreaded reality back as far as possible. It sucks to be In this spot and I still maintain, I wish I was the one wrong In this scenario we find our team in.

I'm not wrong though. Unfortunately and that means.. We don't have a fucking answer still at the QB position. Maybe It's Mike White? Maybe, not..

I'm holding on to the Mike White dream because I would love to think that our FQB Is still on this roster, just not the guy we thought It would be. A Kirk Cousins scenario.

Is It realistic? Maybe not, I don't know yet. I don't think any of us do.

...but regardless, until we know, It's very uncomfortable for all of us I would imagine. It has been uncomfortable for us as fans for a long fucking time.

We all just want that to change for the better I think.

Me personally. IDGAF who It Is, as long as they aren't over the fucking hill and can actually play consistently good football at the position. All I want.

Call me an Ageist. It's fine.

I just want to enjoy It for more than a year or two as well. At least.

5. ColoradoContrails

Well Bud, it will simply reinforce what you said. I shoulda listened!:( I doubt watching it will upset you because it simply confirms what you predicted, but keep throwable objects far away from you if you value your tv.

Merry Christmas!

legler82, NY Jets68 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

If they absolutely MUST go with Wilson - I pray they don't - because MW is still hurt and they don't believe Strev can play a full game, they'd better figure out how to get the running game going at all costs, and how to get the defense to return to its former high level of play.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

Yeah, fuck, Chris Simms. This dumb mother fucker wants to call me out as a fan (indirectly, obviously) and call me the problem with Zach Wilson's dog shit QB play. Fuck him. He's lucky to have the daddy he has and the fortune that comes with that because In no fucking world does this guy climb that ladder on his own. He's probably the one media guy that has ever truly pissed me off as a fan.

Ralebird, tomdeb and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Fields is on a team with one of the worst rosters in the NFL including the offensive supporting cast. His top receiver is 5’10” 170 pounds and the next two in line are career journey-men that have spent their careers as #5 receivers and special teamers. The line is OK at best.

His progression isn’t that different than Josh Allen. Run around like a maniac for the first two years while the team builds around you. Allen was a much better passer in his second year though.

He very badly needs to do the same thing Allen did and take thousands of throws in the off-season to tighten up his release. He will get sacked way too much for his entire career if he can’t add four yard stops, outs, slants to his passing arsenal.

legler82, Mogriffjr, Borat and 3 others like this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Zach, Blair Thomas, and Lam Jones were our highest drafted busts. All at pick 2. But considering the value that Zach pick had going into the draft - he has to win it.

10. IIMeanDeanII

You are a lovely soul.. Truly.

However. Feel bad for you, for the fans. He Is going to make 30+million dollars regardless. He'll be okay, hopefully he will grow up, mature, and have a future somewhere. If his passion Is truly football, then he should keep pursuing It.

I wish I could get hired by a company for millions of dollars, then keep all that money even If I suck at my job and get fired. What a life that would be, eh?

Fairy tale shit.

11. ColoradoContrails

And were he on the Jets, he would never get developed properly. He should be grateful he landed on the Bears.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He would’ve been on a much better team so I don’t really get that. His receivers would’ve been way better, he would’ve played half a season with an explosive runningback, better tightends, equal line and a significantly better defense.

Mogriffjr, Borat and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  13. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

This is something I mentioned in another thread. Saleh and MLF don't give me the impression they can develop a young QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

At the time there were a few posters here that just refused to acknowledge the opportunity cost of that pick. And in general, one in particular who no longer posts here apparently and was head over heels for Wilson to sum up his argument was that if you don't have a franchise QB nothing else matters. And while I get that sentiment I don't think its really that cut and dried simple.

If we'd have known for absolute certain Zach was going to be Joe Montana OK.... I get it. But the Jets passed up a full portion of carnation instant playoff team to draft not a franchise quarterback, but rather a CHANCE at a franchise quarterback. A gamblers throw of the dice on the roulette wheel which we OF COURSE lost in spectacular fashion because its the Jets and thats what we do here.

It was just a bad risk to take and I didn't like it at the time. Your right. That pick had a ton of value as evidenced by the 49er trade.

ouchy likes this.
  15. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I reached the same conclusion at 3:00 am angry and unable to sleep from the shit show we all witnessed.

The team seemed to step aside and not support Wilson on any level. The O-Line simply collapsed as defenders stormed through to attack our hapless young QB.

Saleh's complete refusal to discipline players is one of the major reasons for this recent free fall. It's not pleasant but, it's critically important if you expect your team to act accordingly.

#295 BleedJetsGreen1981, Dec 23, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Somewhere in the dark corners of the interwebs, there is a mailing list of guys still working out how Zach can "become the guy", if we don't ruin him so much. They won't post here because we don't understand football as well as they do.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

These Jets aren't like the ones Geno and Sam played for. If we drafted Fields, I think he would be better off here than he is in Chicago. It just happens that this time we picked the one QB who is truly unsalvageable.

Borat likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

Honestly this question is meaningless to me. It's like how far across the Grand Canyon did Evil Knievel make it?

ouchy likes this.
  19. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

I feel you but … nah. They gotta wear this L for a while

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.