No way Zach should play another game for us

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Dec 18, 2022.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes those would be examples. And I think they could run those types of plays more than the 2-3 times a game they do now without "going to the well" too often. I think 10-12 times a game would work just as a guess. When Zach has to think too much - which happens when he's trying to play as a pocket passer - his mechanics and timing suffer, leading him to press more -and think more - leading to worse performance. In the long run he does need to learn how to play from the pocket most of the time, but that's going to take time. In the short term, they need to call plays that work to his strengths - like the Bears are doing with Fields.

And yes, Zach needs to bear responsibility for improving his shortcomings which we've discussed ad nauseum. And since the Jets don't seem to be inclined to give him much help with this as far as can be detected, he should hire his own QB guru to help him in the offseason.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  2. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

In todays interview Robert Saleh said "Zack was on fire in the 1st half", this guy was obviously not watching the game no wonder he forgot to call a timeout, please get him into Canton now why wait!!!

SOJAZ and Nyjets4eva like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I don't understand how your response to me includes criticism of two commentators who I have not mentioned. Is it simply because you don't agree with a thing they say? Who is it you're referring to who has a "throw it all away" attitude and what does that have to do with objective evaluation? It seems like you have confirmed here exactly what I caution against.

4. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

If Zach was on fire what was MW the prior games when he was throwing for 300 plus and actually looking like a NFL QB lol Saleh is tripping

SOJAZ likes this.
  5. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Seems like ZW sadly will be playing the rest of the year for us. Let’s hope he plays better starting on Thursday but doubt it

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. Ralebird

I might remind you that the Jets had three QB coaches working with Wilson a year ago - Calabrese, Cavanaugh and Beck. I think it might be interesting for all of us to know why Beck and Cavanaugh are no longer involved, I strongly doubt the cost involved was the game changer. Knowing that will never happen but we still have guys here at TGG who would have us believe they have all the answers.

7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Well Beck I believe was only ever intended as a short term measure. He came in to help as he was Zach's personal coach. I don't think he has any aspiration to be part of an NFL coaching team and basically said as much.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Ralebird

The poster I responded to had said "Zach Wilson needed (needs) more hands on coaching than he's gotten from the Jets," kind of an odd statement when they loaded him up with three guys. I don't know why neither Cavanaugh nor Beck have continued, particularly in light of the fact that Beck was Wilson's private coach before being brought on by the Jets. Is it possible that, money aside, Wilson is not the kind of student who teachers find rewarding to work with?

SOJAZ likes this.
  9. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I don’t know if Zach playing better is the best for this franchise.
    If he looks a little competent that means we will waste another full season on this turd when this team is close to be a solid winning team. It will just set us back another 2-3 years, we need to move on.

10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

or we could just play MW when he Is healthy again because he has the actual ability to run this offense. He's had plenty of time up to this point. Time Is not on his side.

SOJAZ and REVISion like this.
  11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Dude, you really gotta stop believing these quotes literally or you're going to have a stroke....

IIMeanDeanII and dawinner127 like this.
  12. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Good point RB. I think this idea that the Jets are just lazily sitting around smoking cigarettes and staring out the window until game day arrives and then thinking "damn... maybe we should have tried coaching our QB a little so he didn't embarrass us all" is way overblown. Just because Zach isn't having a lot of success doesn't mean that the whole operation (including Wilson himself) aren't trying their best.

Playing NFL QB and winning NFL football games are both really hard things to do. And things don't always work out no matter how much time effort and resources are put in. And I suspect a lot of times the reason some of these players and teams work out and do well is more of an art than a science. Or what the sports industry usually refers to as "chemistry" Some things just mix together perfect and other things not so much.

Ralebird, IIMeanDeanII and SOJAZ like this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Is what he said wrong though?

ZW was 8-12, 185 yards, 1 TD in the first half. Is that not good?

Obviously he fell apart in the 2nd half but he did play really well in the first half.

14. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thank you for the caution. I'm not picking inputs that put Zach in the positive if that is what you imply. I have gone on record as to all his disappointing shortcomings many of times. I also said I respected very insightful and critical inputs from the likes of Joe Namath and others so I'm not at all sure what the caution is entirely about. But apparently, if they do provide some positives, your input was look elsewhere. The two you mentioned I used it as examples of people that I challenge the term "expert" being placed on. I didn't say you mentioned them, but many other have. If you are trying to tell me that all inputs should be weighted equally, well I disagree.
    As for the bold, are you kidding me? there are a few members here who has completely thrown Zach in the trash can already and have gone on record at nausea that Zach will never be any good, he has not done anything right, it was all someone else's doing early in the season, can't improve, and should have been already released. Clearly he did not meet expectations, but that over the top BS aint for me. But apparently by the responses to their viewpoints, others considered it a subjective evaluation.

ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

No. I am showing you the guy who played and stunk for 5 games (3 starts) when he was in his second year at 25 years of age, to then drastically improve next year. The only difference is that Washington didn't allow Kirk to play much when they saw he wasn't ready, while the Jets played Zach in spite of it. But the outcome in games played was similar, actually Zach did better at younger age. Burrow example is also valid: the guy wasn't good enough to play in College, and when he played, he stunk, then suddenly in his 5th year at 23 he has the best season ever. Why? This is the age where players can take a leap. Will that leap happen? I am not counting on it, but it is possible. I don't think Zach has been bad enough where we can completely rule it out. Mike White greatly improved right here on the Jets. I didn't have to go far for an example either.

Besides, it's not like we can go back in time and draft say Fields instead of Zach now. Zach is under contract, he is young, and IMO he's got a shot no matter how small it may be to improve. All I am saying is that keep him this summer, let him complete with likes of White or another vet, and let's see what happens. If he loses out, he a back-up. What choice do we really have anyway? We can't get back much for Zach now, his value is low for the reasons you outlined. Our draft pick is not going to be high enough to get Young/Stroud, we would have to break a bank to get one of them if it is even possible. And are they worth it? If we had a top 3 pick in this draft I would say perhaps, but we don't. Hopefully between Mike and Zach we will have a solid starter in 2023.

I actually think Mike is a solid starter now if he can learn how to protect himself better, which is a good and realistic project for the offseason. Right now the guy is playing 7 on 7, completely oblivious to anything else as long as he gets the ball out quick. If he learns how to move just a little bit inside the pocket to not take direct hits all the time, I feel we have Kirk Cousins with the bigger arm. And if Zach beats that out in the training camp - even better.

#476 Borat, Dec 21, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

According to everything I read, MLF did not want Zach to have multiple voices. So they chose not to extend Beck's contract. I believe not having Beck for Zach
    was not smart. I thought last year Zach looked more decisive, better foot work, and more accurate than this year. He digressed in 2022.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Wasting your time. He wants Saleh fired too. I suppose there are some here that might considered he has a balanced view of the facts..

19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Not going to read 24 pages but I'm unsure how anyone could argue that Wilson gives us a better chance to win than White. I was as big a Wilson homer as anyone but the overwhelming likelihood is that he'll never become that good at this point. There's been too much evidence of AWFUL play.

Before we start the straw man brigade - I'm not saying trade Wilson for a 6th round pick and give up on him entirely. He's young and cheap and we should give him a little more time to figure it out, but not as our starting QB. White should be the starter, bring in a competent vet, and have Wilson and the vet duke it out for the backup spot with the hope that the competition leads to Zach actually improving.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I had to go back to watch BYU film, but it confirmed what I remember from before: Zach is a pocket passer. People are saying he is not, because he was inaccurate from the pocket hence we need to roll him out more, but this is just not the case. In BYU, vast majority of his plays, including big plays were from the pocket, and very accurate ones at that. In addition to that, he was mobile, great athlete, and was also able to roll out and make off platform throws. They made all the highlights of course, but his bread and butter was being super accurate pocket passer. Do you remember earlier there was a stat when he was not pressured he was one of the best QBs in NFL, and when pressured, the worst? That's the difference I think that screws him up now. Before he had OlIne which gave a lot of time. He didn't have to worry about getting hit. He needs to learn the reality that he now has less time, and having a better OLine would not hurt either. It is easier said than done, it's a big adjustment, but he is still young, and not impossible to do in the offseason.

The point is, I don't think coaching has been terrible, though I am OK to have a few more rollouts. I don't think he fix all the problems in the next few games. I do think we need to have more designed runs for him. Not like Fields, but the guy can take easy yards on the ground, and there should be more of these. He did it last time vs Jags. Over long term, he should not be a runner, but we need to get a W tomorrow, and if that means more runs, more rollouts, so be it. Then probably White can come back for Seattle, and Zach can focus on offseason improvement program to come back and make easy throws from the pocket, like he did all year in BYU.