No way Zach should play another game for us

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Dec 18, 2022.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You’re trying to use age in an argument when I’m talking about games played. Wilson doesn’t get to reset his career and negate the years he played.

Burrow was 23 years old in college and produced the greatest QB season of all time leading his team to probably the greatest season of all time (I believe it was 7 Top-25 wins).

Wilson has played two seasons in the NFL already. His age is irrelevant in comparison to guys who were older in college.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You are talking about games played without factoring age and considering people who didn't play because they would have sucked, coaches saw that, and for that reason didn't play them. I gave you perfect example - Kirk Cousins sucked at 23-24 when he did play, and hence didn't play much. Age matters. Burrow sucked in College for 4 years until he was 23. Then he put together a great season as an older guy. No Wilson doesn't get to negate two years, just like Burrow doesn't negate his bad College seasons, but age does matter, not just playing experience.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Zach will get more time and chances no matter if you think he is a bust or the next coming. The timeline was always year 3 the team just had a run that pushed the timeline a bit. Add the injuries to the o-line and Zach has had some issues. I will not get into MLF.

If he comes out next season with zero improvements he is most likely done here. What I liked about this past game is Zach's clutch plays and coming back after a bad stretch. The last two drives Zach put the team on his shoulders and not for some clock management issues might have pulled this game out.

What I do not like is the dip and out-of-time throws. That INT was unacceptable (you can't lob passes up like that) and the poor play after that pick. Before he threw that pick he hit Conklin on a critical 3rd down and the offense was rolling. After that pick he sucked for the rest of the quarter.

We will see what he does against Jacksonville.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No, it really doesn’t. The early playing time has a net negative effect or else guys wouldn’t be out of the league. You don’t get to reset because you’re still young.

Why hasn’t Darnold turned a corner yet? It’s not like Wilson can’t become some sort of Tannehill or Geno reclamation project later in his career. But the chances that he becomes a QB we hitch our wagon to is slim to none.

Dude he is significantly worse than Baker (3 teams in two years now), Darnold (will be lucky to be a backup somewhere next year), and Rosen (out of the league) were.

He has comparable career numbers to guys like Colt McCoy and Kyle Allen.

dawinner127 likes this.
  5. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

On your last paragraph, you only need to look at the difference when he gets out of the pocket on designed roll outs. His number of options come down, the pressure often does too, and he looks a different guy. But he's got to be able to make plays from the pocket some of the time.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Maybe not, but that did throw things off to start the season. Nothing ever just runs smooth for the Jets. I've always said confidence is key in 2 of the biggest positions in sports: QB and Goalie. Once you lose it, you can't properly perform. Zach looks like he doesn't have confidence at the moment. I hope it returns.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

This should be enough to just acknowledge the kid sucks.

8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

If those mistakes weren't there. They would have won. Which, in turn, suggests they should have won.

Am I talking In riddles at this point?

If the opportunity was there to win, but I mistake was made, It doesn't change the opportunity that was there for the go ahead win.

You are confusing. Also, wrong.

9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I just don't know if ZW can ever learn things like the geometry of the field and how the patterns interact in a play or playbook. It's not that he's stupid--he lacks understanding--he's a boy playing a mans game.

NFL QB is the hardest position in sports.

Add his mechanics to the problem.

Also, did you notice the contrast between his bench behavior and MW's bench behavior? ZW was learning nothing sitting on the bench--if he's not involved he's disinterested. It's just his personality.

10. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

As most predicted, Wilson will start on Thursday vs the Jags. It's now official.

11. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

RIP NY Jets 2022

12. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

It's official, Mike White just ruled OUT for Thursday as per Saleh.

Our whole season rides on ZW Thurs night.
    Can already hear his post game sound bite:

"Guys, it was really wet out there"

#412 heartpumpsgreen, Dec 20, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    Centiment and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I said they provided a balanced perspective, and liked that, none said by a long shot that he is the long term solution. He has a bunch of great flashes and a bigger bunch of brain farts. At this point he is an unknown moving forward. His development is disappointing and slow particularly on the simple stuff from the pocket. Much of what some have said here without the drama and anger.
    I would be happy to read other experts points of view that I missed, because they have played the game and know what it takes. In fact I loved Namath's perspective, critical but full of substance.
    Fact remains. We don't know what the future holds for the Jets at the QB position and people that proclaim they do know even less. Is most likely that our starting QB in 2023 is not even on the roster.
    But with all due respect, if what you call experts are people like "zero wins" Brady Quinn and Cimini and some of the folks here with " throw everything in the trash now attitude and fire every one" and start over, then I pass. I have seen that movie a million times before, and it never has a happy ending.

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah as soon as we knew ZW was starting last week I was like there go the playoffs…sad

we need to fix the OL and find a QB next year…if it’s White, great, if it’s someone else, great but it sure ain’t ZW

15. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

It's now officially over

16. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Look there are some who believe and some who do not but we want the team to be successful. I said this before, I do give a rats ass who plays QB as long as they can execute the plays that are called... for me its that simple. If you can great, if you can't, next man up.

AS most of you know, I am no longer a supporter of ZW. However, having said tha, I agree with some of the sentiment posted here that says he needs to "reset"this off season. I would add that they have a "realistic and truthful" QB competition in TC...

BTW, I never subscribed to the thought the FO and CS would give up on him this year and trade him; although I was please with hiswell deserved benching. I think he comes back yr 3 and if he does win and become the 1st string QB, but is the same inconsistent QB, then I truly believe - based on some of the HC comments - he will be done here.

LAJet likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I see a lot of Rosen comparisons, but he is not at Rosen's level just yet. Rosen was a statue, who did a lot less on the ground than Zach, and on top of that even if you look at stats, his passer rating in second year went down to 52 (QBR 19.7), at which point he was waived. Zach, as bad as he is, is at 75 (QBR 42.4). This is not good, but not even close to being a Rosen comparable.

As far as Sam, maybe. Sam progressed from 1st to 2nd year then regressed in his 3d year. At the end of the second year, there was a hope he can take a leap. I have that same hope for Zach, who also progressed from 1st to 2nd year (passer rating, from 69.7 to 75.3, QBR from 28.2 to 42.4) and want to see how he does after the off-season. It's not a guarantee he will regress or be stale, like Sam, though it is certainly likely that he does not become great either. It's worth finding out though, at least by having him compete for the job in the training camp against a vet like Mike White.

I think we will have to disagree whether age matters or not. I am not sure why it is not obvious that generally the younger the person is, the more room they have to develop, but if you feel otherwise, so be it. I already gave examples of guys sucking at 22 or 23 and then doing much better a year or few later, such as Burrow (in College), Cousins, and Mike White.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

"No way Zach should play another game for us"

But he is. In 2 days. Go Jets!

19. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Relax. EM is coached to run out of bounds which he was trying to do.

He’s not the coach or QB so can’t call a timeout himself.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. For now, unfortunately we are between a rock and a hard spot QB wise, and Zach is not going to miraculously elevate his game overnight to the level we want to see. We have to figure out a way to win with a performance at best similar to Sunday. For that to happen, we will need extra help from special teams and the defense and a stronger running game to give us a realistic chance. Much like some of the other teams victories this week. That didn't happen Sunday for us.