No way Zach should play another game for us

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Dec 18, 2022.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Totally agree. Was a poor performance all around today in 2 phases of the game and then the D had a huge let down in the 4th. Not a recipe for winning football.

Br4d likes this.
  2. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Maybe it had something to do with the fact that Detroit's defense was keying on the run and pretty much challenged Zach Wilson to beat them. Their game plan was to stop the run, as they knew Wilson couldn't do much without the run support. Wilson did complete a few bombs but did he ever methodically move the team down the field in this game? I don't believe so. Take away those few completed bombs (some were just pure luck) and he had nothing to show for. In any case, if you read most comments online, the vast majority of fanbase has turned on Zach Wilson. Unless, all of a sudden, he turns into the next coming of Peyton Manning, he's done in this city. He'll be run out of this city one way or another.

stinkyB, fggrimes and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Our offensive line has been pretty decent in pass protection for the most part, but pretty bad in run blocking since AVT went down.

I also don’t understand all the shotgun runs especially when Wilson is playing. The line is shitty. We’re not giving our runningback a head start at penetration.

4. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think it's "underperformance" ... I think they just stink.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

We had one of these when Tebow was on the squad.

That sentence really should be a joke but is actually factually accurate.

stinkyB and Br4d like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I have changed my mind. I just haven't given up on him altogether. He has some elite tools that you don't find every day, and while he's been up and down, overall I think he's improved on balance. Has he improved enough? No, but I think he still can. And I have no problem having him sit behind MW, or having them sign/trade for a good vet for next year and allow him to continue to learn from the sideline. But he made some plays today that MW wouldn't have made because of his mobility, and for whatever reason LaFleur stopped calling for those early. The last play he made with 1 second left was definitely not a called play, and Zach pulled it off.

He tried playing from the pocket today and did better, but again the OL let him down. So I think that shows that he's willing to learn and capable of it.

The one guy who I've also been supportive of has been LaFleur, but I'm getting more questioning of him. I'm not ready to call for him to be fired, but he clearly needs to learn some things, especially regarding the skillset of the players he's working with.

I realize I'm in the minority with this assessment of Wilson, but I'm confident of it.

Sinjz, KY Jets Fan and bicketybam like this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah the shotgun runs that are effectively delays where the RB gets the ball a split-second later than he should are really ineffective.

If the Jets want to run out of the shotgun the answer is the RPO and I don't think ZW has the field vision to run the RPO effectively. He does have the legs for a wider option setup but that's just asking for an injury.

8. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Putting up17 points at home against a crappy defensive team which gives up 26 per game is not going to cut it in this taco stand. If permitted by his controllers, Saleh needs to either shit or get off the toilet and pick a #1 QB already. If he's going to continue to waver from one guy to the other, the team's performance will remain schizoid and inconsistent. So next time anyone of you dudes grabs a beer with RS, can you ask him who the Jets #1 QB will be going forward? With most teams who are not the Jets, QB competitions are usually reserved for the preseason.

NYJetsO12 and Lon Chaney like this.
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

For a team that wants to run a version of the Shanahan scheme, it still boggles my mind that we don’t have a capable FB on the roster. Maybe they thought Uzomah or Conklin could give them that?

IDFjet and Lon Chaney like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

I agree that we could use one. But we have two NFL backup guards, a somewhat below average center and two journeyman tackles.

Douglas has to rebuild the offensive line and it’s pretty concerning since he’s dumped a bunch of resources into the group already. I’m not sure why we haven’t tried to find a center of the future in the mid-rounds that can double as a backup guard.

11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I apologize for my earlier outburst. Bourbon and Zach Wilson are a bad combo.

The Jets win this game with MW at QB. That's just my opinion. ZW will never be a good qb in this league. He stinks and I'm sick of people defending him.

I loved the ZW pick at the time. But he's a terrible QB. The last pick in last years draft looks better than him. It's depressing

NY Jets68, Br4d, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  12. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I agree but in his defense AVTv and Becton are out. Both first round picks.

And I know Tomlinson has underperformed but he's not a "back up guard".

But I'm in agreement. Not sure why they haven't looked for an upgrade at C

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If I’m JD and this FO, I draft multiple OL this year. One in the early rounds and 2 more in the later rounds.

Jets81, NYJetsO12 and Lon Chaney like this.
  14. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Don't ever apologize for bourbon. Zach Wilson on the other hand fuck him.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Tomlinson is pretty much a backup guard in my eyes. He had a good season and a half next to two Hall of Fame offensive lineman and parlayed that into a big contract. He’s been pitiful for us.

Unfortunately, Becton was pretty bad the last time he was playing too. Mauling run blocker, a not so good pass protector. Either way, we need at least two new offensive lineman next year at minimum.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  16. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Agree strongly on both counts.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Clearly mike white is the better QB for this team. i really don't know how anyone cannot appreciate that.
    the sooner the jets reason with themselves and make that decision, the better.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Zach has shown that he has talent.

His arm and mobility are top 10-15 of NFL QBs.

Where he fails completely is the mental part of the game.

If he could learn the playbook, hit his receivers in stride, and throw with touch instead of slinging fastballs on short routes he could become better than Mike White.

That clearly won't happen this season.

All we can do next year is bring him to training camp and see if he is ready to be QB2 or if he just takes up a roster spot while he continues to develop

Our GM threw in the towel early on Sam who is now starting for another team. I don't see him doing the same thing again so soon with the guy he drafted himself.

KY Jets Fan, Sinjz and Lon Chaney like this.
  19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Our center has been the MVP of our line since AVT went down.

Tomlinson needs to be cut loose after this season.

Sinjz likes this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

His mechanics blow chunks. Any throw that is not 30 yards plus is likely to be poorly delivered.