Mike White not cleared… Zach will start the Lions game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 16, 2022.

1. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Saleh already said Flacco is the backup so why is this even a discussion? I don't like that move BTW but this whole situation sounds a bit fishy.

Ouchy made a great point earlier with Herbert playing with busted ribs throughout the season, as did Romo and Luck. White has said he wanted to play, but maybe the organization wants to make this Zach's last stand. Well at least for this season. I just want this team to win. Dolphins will hopefully get crushed tomorrow with Tiny Tua and the Patriots are still a flaming mess offensively. This could setup nicely for us to sneak in. I'll worry about the Jags after I see what we look like on Sunday.

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

For all the conspiracy theorists out there, here you go. MW has fractured ribs. Totally understandable why our team doctors don't feel great about clearing him to play on Sunday.

3. burf

burf Well-Known Member

On the hopeful side... Zach played the best game of his career, against the Bills, following the first Pats loss.
    On the reality side... we've all wanted to know if Zach is the Guy. if he has the Guy inside him.
    Well, here we go.
    This will help the FO make decisions for the future. If he plays like he did against the Bills, that'll make the Zach vs White competition in TC (provided White re-signs), fascinating. If he implodes, who knows if he'll be on the team?
    And this is a test of Jets fans too. I'm hoping that on Sunday, the stadium will give Zach his biggest, loudest cheers as a Jet. Please people, refrain from the boos... Zach needs everyone's support. Give it to him!

4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

5. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Ouch. That was a massive hit and I literally was afraid for White after watching him on the turf trying to regain his breathing. If you look at it in slow mo you wonder how he wasn't broken in half.

6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He can't keep taking huge hits like that.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Stress fractures often wont show up on initial x-rays, until they begin to calcify.

* I'm no doctor.... but I've spent alot of time and money at the orthopedists office

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

100% agree

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Good luck to Zach and the Jets!

Keep that game-plan simple: Win

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

11. burf

burf Well-Known Member

It's always amazing to me, how so many people prefer reading between imaginary lines, rather than just seeing reality.
    They imagine that Jets' ownership & the FO, would prefer losing than playing MW. Amazing.

12. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I’m reading a lot about the Lions defenses being horrendous but they have improved a lot during the last couple of games. Like the last 6 weeks. That’s a big sample size so I think talk of their bad D is being a bit exaggerated.Have to be one of the top scoring teams in the League. Honestly if I were playoff teams I’d be rooting against them making the playoffs. Out of all the teams on the fringe they’d scare me the most.

I read that Flacco is Qb # 2. So hopefully Zach can get through the game.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

We will find out. Detroit has a bad pass defense. I really do hope Zach comes out on fire Sunday afternoon, but all the evidence shows he won’t.

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

To answer the question as to why MW was allowed to come back in against the Bills.

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Pray that Air LeFleur takes Sunday off..

Fiftynine and SOJAZ like this.
  16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Lions’ defense is a worse matchup for Zach Wilson than it seems

Latest article from Nania and the Jets X-Factor crew, some good points on the Lions D and why this might not be the slam dunk matchup for Zach I thought it was.

Quick notes from the article:

"On the surface, this seems like the perfect game for Wilson to return. Detroit’s defense is poor. It ranks 31st in points allowed per game (26.7) and 24th in defensive DVOA (+5.1%). However, the Lions’ defense is not a favorable matchup for Wilson from a schematic perspective. Their tendencies are perfect for exploiting Wilson’s weaknesses."

"According to NFL Next Gen Stats, the Lions rank second in man coverage usage at 42.9%. This is bad news for Wilson, who has performed much more respectably against zone coverage than man coverage.

Take a look at Wilson’s 2022 production against man and zone coverage (ranks out of 40 qualifiers):
    • vs. Man Coverage (80 passes): 60.1 passer rating (40th), 5.4 yards per attempt (34th), -0.41 EPA per dropback (36th), 3.75% INT rate (35th)
    • vs. Zone Coverage (109 passes): 81.8 passer rating (29th), 7.8 yards per attempt (11th), -0.04 EPA per dropback (24th), 1.83% INT rate (14th)
    Wilson is still quite subpar against zone, but against man, he is bad to a team-sinking degree. Detroit is built to exploit this disparity in Wilson’s game."

"Cover 1 reliance
    Regarding the Lions’ man coverage reliance, they specifically love to run Cover 1 Man. Detroit ranks fourth-highest in Cover 1 usage at 33.5%. The league average is 23.2%.

Wilson has a lot of trouble against Cover 1. Here are his numbers against Cover 1 compared to his numbers on all other passes:
    • vs. Cover 1 (76 passes): 61.9 passer rating (36th), 5.7 yards per attempt (35th), -0.34 EPA per dropback (34th), 3.95% INT rate (37th)
    • vs. Others (113 passes): 79.8 passer rating (35th), 7.5 yards per attempt (12th), -0.10 EPA per dropback (31st), 1.77% INT rate (12th)
    Wilson remains poor on other passes, but against Cover 1, he is especially bad.

Much of Wilson’s struggles against man coverage and Cover 1 have come against the Patriots, who deploy very similar coverage splits to the Lions. New England is fourth in man coverage usage at 41.7% and first in Cover 1 usage at 36.9% – eerily similar numbers to Detroit’s 42.9% and 33.5%, respectively.

Obviously, the Patriots’ defense is far more talented and reliable than the Lions’ defense, but they operate similarly in a lot of ways. Wilson needs to prove he can succeed against a less formidable version of the same kind of defense that has caused his greatest nightmares."

17. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Hopefully, MLF comes to the game on Sunday, wearing his balls. I wanna see first pass from Zach, a bomb down field. That, & the no-huddle to start the game, to force the players to play fast... rather than the slow starts that infect this O.

ouchy likes this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Sorry but I've been following the league for 50 years, and this has never happened. Perhaps this is the new NFL, or a reaction to the Tua situation. Obviously doctors are afraid to approve anything that will cause a witch hunt against them.

If this is the case. Its Zach's team the rest of the season. There is no way they can justify bringing White back because the ribs wont be healed in a week or two.

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You ARE talking about Mike LeFleur right?

NYJetsO12 and burf like this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Teams that come out throwing against the Lions have good success.

NYJFOREVER likes this.