I am a Zach supporter, but I am also a realist...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Nov 28, 2022.

1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

That's not the reason. Zach is not getting better. He's 55% last year and he was 55% this year with better offensive weapons and less attempts. He's simply not a good NFL QB.

He was a late processor in college, and his combination of arm velocity and competition allowed him to get away with it to look really good. The NFL game is different, because the defenders close fast, and his arm talent while still above average doesn't make up for a late ball.

This video explains it fully. He was doing the same thing that plagues him now in college, but his ball velocity made up for it against slower competition.

Watch this video starting here:

#121 BrooklynJetsFan, Dec 8, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  2. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Like safe sex. Like wearing a condom on a one stand. Even if you eventually hook up again.

Mike White is awesome

#122 JETFUEL1580, Dec 8, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good analysis. And it predicts what we've seen from Zach. That said, these are shortcomings that can be overcome. As you noted he was a late processor in college, but was that because he couldn't process quickly enough or because he didn't have to because of his arm and ball velocity? Frankly I don't know. I haven't been in the film room with him or the discussions with his coaches. But here's what I do know: he has elite arm talent and that is something that can't be learned. It may take him time to learn how to adjust to the speed of NFL defenses, but he is capable of doing that as evidenced by the video you included - the analyst points out numerous times where Wilson recognizes the defense and makes the right call or adjustment. His main problem was and is waiting until the receiver makes his break to throw it. But it's not like he always does that, which tells me that he can do it, he just has to get much more consistent about it.

There's an old coaching saying: "You can't teach speed or height". And likewise, you can't teach arm talent. The other stuff can be taught and learned if the player is willing and is given enough time. We'll see if Zach has the commitment, and if the Jets have ability to teach him.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

How long before Zach requests a trade. in the offseason?

ukjetsfan likes this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I think the poor ability to read the defense and see the field well is one huge detriment, but to me the inaccuracy is a second one. We’ve just seen way too many balls in the dirt or over receivers heads and it hasn’t really gotten any better. And even on the dump offs, he just flings them at a hundred miles an hour and not with great ball placement and certainly not with any touch, those are basic things that he just for whatever reason has not been able to do consistently. Even half the dump offs that are caught I’m surprised the receiver was able to get to the ball and catch it.

to me the problem is he has really just not shown much improvement since last year. We are seeing the same exact problems we saw last year yet he has a much better cast around him. Enough excuses already.

I’m tired of the narrative that he won 5 games when those were so clearly due to Breece Hall and the defense. He threw 4 TDs in those games, four! That’s not nearly good enough.

I don’t want to see him on the field unless White we’ll and truly shots the bed AND he shows that he can light it up in practice. That’s it.

he’s had 20 games so far …. White has had what, 5? And this offense has looked better with White hands down.

Ralebird, tomdeb and SOJAZ like this.
  6. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

It is just a fact that Wilson was 5-2. It is also a fact Jets beat buffalo without Hall. Also a fact White has gone up against two of the worst defenses in the NFL. These are not narratives. White beat a really bad Chicago team and lost to a Good Minnesota team. Also the 7 games Wilson played were against arguably top 10 defenses in NFL. We will find out a lot on Sunday. The second pats game also had the worse OLine the Jets have line up all year. not a narrative just tracts. It will all be decided on the field. If White is bad against Buffalo and loses to Lions he is back on bench.

LAJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

considering that wins are not an individual stat, this is absolutely a narrative

But let’s go into detail about those wins with Zach since you want to dissect the quality of the jets last two opponents …

The Steelers are bad
    The dolphins played with their third string qb
    The packers are bad
    The broncos are terrible and played with their backup
    The pats are 4-6 in games against non Jets teams … they are a mediocre team, at best

The bills are elite but their defense was missing their two all pro safeties, all pro corner, pro bowl linebacker, and they lost two corners during the game

these are just facts

K'OB, Jets79 and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

Your stance is clear. You've basically given up on Wilson unless he returns to the field and convinces you otherwise. That's fair. And at this point I do agree that White is the better option and that Zach should be on the sideline trying to correct the problems he has rather than trying to play through them. I think he can do this but it remains to be seen.

But 20 games isn't really enough to prove what he can and can't do. And while White has only had 5 start, he's also been in the league 4 years so it's not like he's a rookie.

In the end I don't care who the QB is as long as he can bring them a championship.

Mogriffjr and bicketybam like this.
  9. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

CC, I am pretty dam sure that we win one at least because he is more comptent at running the O then ZW was and is...

10. ColoradoContrails

Maybe. We can't possibly know or say for sure. Look at the Minny game...White had more than a few chances to do something to win it instead of settling for FGs but he didn't. He racked up a lot of yards, but couldn't close the deal.

I agree, most feel more comfortable with MW as QB right now - I do myself - but it remains to be seen if he can carry the team and rack up the wins needed to get into the playoffs at least. It's not like he was flawless or ran a clinic against the Vikings. He made more than a few mistakes and had some bad throws and missed opportunities - just like people have criticized Zach for - but he also made some throws that Zach has struggled with and made his reads and decisions quicker than Zach has. All that to say, yes, let's stick with White for now, but let's also see how he does against a really good defense too.

bicketybam likes this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The lack of improvement is what's troubling... and it's not just his mechanics... it's his reads/progressions & timing.
    You can be lacking in one or the other... but not both.

At this point he's all arm... no cattle.

Jets79 likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

That's not quite true. He has improved on balance, regardless of the steps backward in the last few games. The question is: can he turn it around or have we seen the best he can do? I know I'm in the minority here in believing he can turn it around - although it may not happen this year. Again, I find it hard to believe that a guy with his arm talent and a track record of fighting back against the odds will completely fail. But, I've been wrong before so we'll see.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Mike White was put in because he gave us a better chance to win. Pure and simple. As people have said at nausea. at this time he is a better leader, the teams rallies around him much better, they love his toughness, players play harder, he performed much better on his first game, and he held his own on game two etc, etc, etc.
    So to put your first sentence in perspective. Yes, Is a team stat heavily influenced by the QB and this is a much better team with Mike so we should expect better results moving forward, not just better stats.
    We need to stay focused about what matters, winning. I fully expect this team to make the playoffs, and that only means one thing, winning some games.
    The rest are a bunch of personal opinions about what team is good and who is bad and when where they good or bad to make a point for either Zach or for Mike. Means absolutely nothing.
    This team has gone to battle with his fair share of missing top players so we shouldn’t give two give two shits about what the rest of the teams had to overcome, especially Buffalo.
    The only thing that matters is beating the team in front of us. We need 3 wins to assure the playoffs.That is the ultimate fact. If we fail, after such a promising start, it would be a failure by the entire team.

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This is such a bad take…Zach was basically along for the ride..he threw 4 freaking TDs in those games. He threw for under 200 yards in most of them. Yes, he made some nice throws in those games and no one is saying he doesn’t have the raw talent. But as has already been laid out, we did face backup QBs and such. Not going to take away those wins as I’ve loved every single one. But to use that as a claim to support a QB who has so clearly been mediocre or worse doesn’t make sense…

Ralebird likes this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

agree with that last point for sure…I just want wins and playoffs!

on the other point, I am clearly down on Zach as I don’t think he’s improved much at all…to me, that’s a narrative and a story. His stats this year look almost EXACTLY like last year…completion rate is still mid 50%, yards per game still considerably under 200, more picks than TDs. It’s 20 games. If not quite enough to know, it’s getting damn close to it…I’ll go back to Bill Walsh who said you know by 24-26 games. We are almost there.

you want to talk eye test? To me he looks the same there too…he still doesn’t even see too many open receivers, he still air mail balls over their heads, he still puts balls in the dirt. What has changed? He’s the same guy.

the stats show it and the eye test shows it…the rest is just storytelling.

he still is at the very bottom of the league QB ratings…again.

all that being said, he has a great arm and he’s athletic and he can make some crazy tight throws…but he’s not a good QB right now…he reminds me a bit of a guy like Jeff George back in the day…crazy arm but shitty QB.

I don’t know if Zach can figure it out….but If he can I think it’s more likely next year than this year…there’s a a bunch of our receivers hate playing with him…that’s not a fluke, it’s a problem….

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

Mostly agree. The reasons you spell out as to why his stats aren't good and the "eye test" is also bad are why he's been demoted and I agree with that demotion. I also think he won't see the field again this season unless White gets hurt or does a spectacular nosedive.

Going forward though I'm still hopeful he can figure it out and put his great arm to good use.

Jets79 likes this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Apparently not. On the bright side, I definitely knew what to look for. Except I am getting sort of guilty about ending that sentence with a preposition.

#137 abyzmul, Dec 11, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2022