So, what now about Clemens?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Jan 7, 2007.

1. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

What makes you think Clemens will be better then Chad? Chad is a very good QB, we need a RB to run the ball. Because that leads to what he does best, the PLAY ACTION pass.

Believe me, it would be a mistake to start Clemens over Chad just because of his arm strength. Its Chads job to lose.

2. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

here is the problem:

if we're down 10 points in the 4th quarter, having Chad Pennington as QB pretty much means the game is over. put someone like Carson Palmer or any strong-armmed QB back there, and you believe. how many people can truthfully say that they think the Jets have a legit shot of coming back down 10 in the 4th? this has been the anti-Chadists complaint all year long.

i'll admit, Chad played very well today and he's a damn good QB; but you need a guy that has the ability to stretch Defenses when there isn't a lot of time left, a guy who can move the ball in other ways besides timing routes.

cheers

3. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Bingo! I agree with every word. Chad does not instill fear in too many Defenses around the league. Really tired of watching our dink-n-dunk Offense.

4. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

I believe that when Clemens is ready Mangini will give him the job.

5. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

6. steviep

steviep Active Member

Chad should be stronger next year.
    Clemens wll have a year of watching a terrific leader.
    Chad had to wait for a bit (and so did Brady I think)

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This isn't a Roger Clemens thread? :eek:hmy:

Well, :beer: PENNINGTON= K I N G :beer: I guess. :)

8. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Pennington goes into the season as the starter and if he's healthy and producing like he did last year you don't change things. But the situation in Dallas could replicate itself and might not be the worst possible situation long term.

9. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

he's just holding-the-fort until they can get someone better. they saw enough of him in new england for mangini to know they aren't going anywhere with him starting. just like belly saw in 2000 with bledsoe.

10. tangini_disciple

tangini_disciple New Member

In this league you need 2 QB's. This is the first season in a while where we had the same starting QB for an entire season. Clemens will most likely be our backup QB next season. And he'll get his opportunity next year sometime, if not the year after. We'll find out then, and only then, how good he can be.

I actually think Chad's good enough to get us to the super bowl. But that also would mean we'd have to have more talented players for our system. You can win with ok talent and a great QB (Brady + Pats in 2001) or an ok QB and great talent (Dilfer + Ravens). We have an ok QB and ok talent on our team. We need to upgrade one and since QB is the hardest one to upgrade, I say upgrade the team first. We'll see if Clemens is good enough soon.

Pick up a huge NT/2-gap player on defense, a top-flight corner, a smash-mouth guard/tackle combo and now we'd be talking.

11. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

So all the Jets have to do is overhaul their offense and defense and they'll be in pretty good shape with Chad at QB?

12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Agreed. Right now, Chad is our QB. And Mangini feels that way too.

13. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

I doubt Pennington can go consecutive seasons without an injury, so I'm sure we'll get to see Clemens start some games.

14. FREEJET

FREEJET New Member

Pennington will play until there is a better option, either with Clemens or through FA. It's really very simple if you look at Mangini's MO, even though he loves Chad.

15. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Give him a running game, NE had almost 100 yards at halftime. If it does nothing else, it tires out the big guys for the second half. Also, don't give me this crap about how good houston and washington are, every game we had to set up the run with the pass. In the 3rd and 4th quarter today, I thought we finally played to Chad's strength of going down the middle of the field to the TE. If we get a running game, that part of the game will take us to the Championship.

16. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I posted this in the other Clemens thread by nohope.

Clemens COULD be the FUTURE QB of this team. COULD and FUTURE are the key words.

Chad will be our QB for a few more years, unless the Staff or Woody Johnson want him out. When Chads time is done, I guess you can expect Clemens to come in. I'm curious how well he can do on the NFL Level.

I'll compare him, for now, to Phillip Hughes. I know I know, he's baseball and it is totally different. I'm just comparing the fact that they may be young studs and the future of their teams, but they aren't ready for the professional level just yet. (Phillip Hughes maybe this season, but that is a different story for a different thread).

17. themantda

themantda New Member

hey Clemens....see ya in 20011

18. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

For people that say we can't win a championship with Chad what are you basing that on. I agree that we never had a realistic shot to win the superbowl this year. We didn't have the running game or defense. However, just two years ago we were one kick away from the AFC Championship game. What Chad needs in this offense is a running game. He needs a guy like Curtis Martin was in 2004 that can pound the run inside to set up the playaction. Pennington is a great playaction passer and will make a lot of plays if he has the defense thinking run. I believe that once we get that consistent running game our offense will be better than in was in that 2004 season.

19. themantda

themantda New Member

Was Proud To Be A Jet Fan Then I Come To This Sight Ofd Cluelss Fan>>we R Talkin Abkout Kellen Clemens Here!!!! Who??? Get Alue And Realize Our Qb Now Has The Highest Winning % Of Any Qb We Ever Had>>>>clueless Fans

20. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

i like your writing:lol: