MLF

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JackBower, Oct 23, 2022.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree. No argument. He is inconsistent as they come. The offense doesn't flow and I hope they get someone else next year.

2. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

Is Charlie Weiss the last good OC the Jets had? That's going back to 1999. Who can forget the maddening multi years of Paul Hackett and Brian Schottenmeyer? We have had many OCs who abandon the run mid game when it's working or call the worst possible plays at the wrong times.

#262 coloradojet, Nov 4, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
    boozer32, Brook! and Jets79 like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I liked John Morton's system too. He got bounced after one season though..

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Hackett wasn't that bad. His QB was injured in 2 out of the 4 seasons he was the OC including the hidden injuries in 2004 that accumulated over the course of the season.

Chad, BTW, was an extremely tough QB playing through several injuries that would have sidelined other QB's. His return in 2005 to finish the game against the Jacksonville with a separated shoulder after his backup went down with an injury is one of the more courageous acts in NFL history.

5. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

IMO, by far, the worse we ever had and the most predictable.

Jojo likes this.
  6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I hated Hackett…and he WAS bad…he was the classic “it takes two or three years to learn my system” guy. And his system was running Curtis Martin on draws on third and longs. He sucked. And that’s backed up by the fact he never did anything of note after leaving us either.

Schotty was also terrible…seemed like every time we had a string of nice plays going and started moving the ball, he’d call a trick play like a reverse that lost us like 10:yards and killed the drive. He sucked too.

man we’ve had a LONG list of terrible OCs, HCs, and GMs

Jojo and boozer32 like this.
  7. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I agree. The early 2000s teams had VERY talented offenses: Pennington at QB, Curtis Martin and LaMont Jordan at RB, Laveranues Coles, Wayne Chrebet, Santana Moss, and Jericho Cotchery at WR, plus a great O-line...and yet Hackett just coached scared. I always screamed at the TV: You've got a Super Bowl caliber team! Use it, damn it!

Jets79 and Jojo like this.
  8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

There is a reason there is still a poster here called HackettSux (later changed to HackettStillSux).

I've said LaFleur is our best OC since Schotty. I didnt really like Scotty though. I dont know who the last OC I actually liked was. Probably nobody.

I love how the Namath-Kolber clip is only interrupted by a Hackett draw play.

LAJet likes this.
  9. Br4d

Charlie Weis! Dude rocked with Vinny!

Jetfanmack likes this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good solid information supported by facts, and points to his ability to quickly process that window. Refreshing posts unlike some real negative garbage with no rhyme nor reason I have been reading recently from a couple of other posters

Red Menace likes this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Probably something in the franchise agreement; the Jets have been abusing the draw since Ewbank.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This is the smoking gun, it doesn’t get anymore damning than this. Thank you for making this available.

13. Br4d

Draw plays are severely under-used in the NFL today.

The advantage of trapping and drawing is that it not only creates decent yardage potential but it also forces the defense to adjust the rush patterns over time.

The draw went out of style because of the 3-4 zone blitz schemes that dropped a heavy a few yards deep and put them in position to adjust rapidly to the draw while also putting an unblocked rusher in a position to read the play. However the zone blitz is rarely used at this point. Heavies tend to be rushing 90% on passing downs and the defenses are vulnerable again to interior draws.

ouchy likes this.
  14. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Firstly, it's almost halftime, so who knows how the rest of the game plays out.
    As some of us have said, where are the quick hits, slants, etc, to help Zach? Well, finally, MLF got our message, out of fear of the Bills O & we've seen a different Zach, so far. Now, if he'd only utilize Moore, we may have something here.

15. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Credit where credit is due. He called a good game today.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He committed to the run and that changed everything. Lets hope he learned something today. We're a run first, pass second team. Run until the other team stops it and then run some more. We have the backs to do it. We have the oline to do it. No need for Air LeFleur this year.

boozer32 and cmcm750203 like this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Wow, a name I haven't heard in a long time, Charlie Weiss. He was the last good OC we had for sure.

18. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

MLF called a great game against the Bills and followed the winning ground and pound format and limiting Zach's passes. Not sure what he was thinking by doing the exact opposite in the Patriots game. It's a winning formula for these Jets and he should stick with it.

19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

More 3rd down empty backfield calls in the first half against the pats than screens.

He is a problem.

burf, boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I don’t understand why there are no RB screens ever…

block and then peel off type plays.

Also you got a team that wants your young qb holding on to the ball… gotta get rid of the ball faster.

Everything looks so hard… painful to watch.