With Some Good Run-Blocking, Leon Will Be A Star...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Notorious J.E.T.S, Jan 7, 2007.

1. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

People keep saying we need a Running back....nobody would be productive with the putrid run-blocking we have. Get some o-line help in here and Neon Leon will rush for 1000 yards easy. No need to wastee a pick on a RB when we have bigger holes (namely run stoppers and run blockers.) A stud cornerback would't hurt either. Oh yeah, and a QB who knows the rules of the game and tries to recover a blocked lateral.

2. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

He looks a lot like Warrick Dunn, another small FSU back. Washington'll benefit a lot from a good blocking back like Dunn had in Tampa with Alstott.

#2 Learn To Swim, Jan 7, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  3. Chrisn777

Chrisn777 New Member

although it's not very known leon was a 5 star prospect coming out of high school,.

4. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

I think we can stop with this now. The last three-spot of games (@MIA, vs. OAK, @NE) has made it immensely clear that Leon Washington is not a feature back. He can be a talented back, a significant back in our offense, and a key contributor. But he is not the guy to be the #1 rusher.

The Leon Washington experiment is over.

5. The Notorious J.E.T.S

excellent comparison...both Florida St. guys. I'm not sure Askew is the guy for the blocking job, that might be something we should explore in the middle rounds of the upcoming draft.

6. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

To be more of an all round back, leon also needs to fix his pass blocking

7. The Notorious J.E.T.S

what part of "no run-blocking" aren't you getting? If we had a pro-bowl calibre line, I would agree that Leon underachieved...but the guy had NOWHERE to run, and he has shown what he can do with an open lane...sh*t, any space you give him showcases his speed and cutting ability. He needs more space...get him some lineman who will create it.

8. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I agree 100%. This kid had a great rookie season, and can only improve with better blocking.

9. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I wouldn't say that the Leon Washington experiment is over but I would still like to get a guy like Michael Turner in here. Then you could use Leon a little more situationally.

10. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

We still don't know what we have outa the guy. We keep giving him < 20 carries in each outing.

Backs like him get yardage in chunks. He was starting to heat up before we were forced to pass. He makes guys miss, but we have to get a Oline capable of protecting him until he gets to the next level.

If a back like Lynch falls to us, I think we should get him just to get a potent 1-2 combo....but other then that I think Leon will hold up just fine once we improve our Oline.

11. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Leon is not an every-down back right now. He needs someone else to share the load with. Houston sucks, Barlow and Blaylock are gone. The O-line needs an upgrade but they also need to bring in another back to go with Washington.

12. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

Leon can be a good star but I think we will need two effective RBs. That is why someone like Turner would be the perfect fit.
    Leon/Turner dual.

13. bigjetfan10

bigjetfan10 New Member

with some good run blocking the jets would have won this game......you cant depend on throwing the ball in the red zone

14. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

He's gotten run-blocking. He's got a 4.4 YPA average this season, but he's gotten it in limited action. There's of course a need to improve the play of the offensive line, but that doesn't change the fact that's he's merely a talented speed back who won't be able to carry the mail 30 times a game.

Exactly how many times did Washington bounce outside for a big gain today?

Again, Washington can be a key contributor and big-play guy. But he will not be star running back, at least not on this offense, and he needs a compliment back.

Are you sure? It seems possible to me that he's not getting all the carries becuase the coaching staff does know what they have in Leon Washington.

15. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

Actually, 4 star as a running back Rivals/Insiders.com and 5 star and pre-season #1 CB in the nation going into his senior season in high school.

16. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

While I agree Washington has been a find and will be a significant contributor in the future, I see him as more of a change of pace and 3rd down back. I see another Bruce Harper type. He's just too small to be a 20-25 carry back and is tackled too easily in traffic inside the tackles.

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I love Leon, but this offensive line is pretty good okay. The right side may be a little weak, but there are few olines out there which don't have a weak link.... We need a guy who can carry the ball 25-30 times a game no problem. Someone with big play capability, speed, but good size and who can break tackles.

That is why if that Clinton Portis rumor has any truth to it, we gotta pull the trigger. We need a stud RB like Curtis in '04... 1500+ yards 10+ TDs.

Imagine if we had Curtis from '04 in the backfield this year.

Either trade for Portis, or draft a guy in the first round!

18. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

And, once again, what part of a 208 pound 5'9", 5'10" 202 lb, 5'9" 190 lb, running backs that had dominated the NFL in rushing yards do you refuse to accept/understand? Emmitt, Walter, Dorsett respectively!

19. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

I totally disagree on 2/3 of your points:
    - Leon can be a star 1000 yard rusher
    - The OL is to blame for the lack of production

The OL has improved a lot, it's not Denver, but its not bad. Does Miami have a better line? New Orleans, Dallas, Tennessee, Chicago, Arizona??

22 Running backs rushed for 1000 or more yards this year, you saying 22 teams have a better OL? No, sorry.

I do agree on not wasting a 1st day pick on a back. I think you guys need a veteran in here. Should go after Turner, but that can be a little more costly than you'd life. Both Chris Brown and Green will be FA next year, both should be cheap, and both, imo, have enough talent and experience to revive their careers. One of them will be here next year.