Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Packers have the 2nd rated secondary in football. None of their WRs were getting open.

He made a couple big throws when it mattered most. Jets needed to go to the screen game a little earlier.

Expecting a run heavy gameplan this week against a strong Denver defense, especially with how bad that offense is.

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Every pass play by Zach and a few more plays for fun apparently.

Overall, after watching this a few times, I feel the same as I did yesterday.

Zach looked off in the first half. Not sure if he was scared or as @Jonathan_Vilma mentioned previously in this thread, maybe MLF had a "don't eff this up" gameplan. Either way it resulted in Zach being more timid than I've seen him all year.

I thought he calmed down a bit in the 2nd half and played better but I struggle to say he was good yesterday. He was solid. Again, no turnovers so that's absolutely something. Playing mistake-free football should be the goal for him this year because if he can get there then I think everything else will sort itself out.

A couple of bad plays from Zach, a couple of drops, and a couple of questionable playcalls from MLF all contributed to Zach's stat line and overall play yesterday.

Bad plays (not all from Zach) that stick out:

12:44 1st quarter, 3rd & 1 (0:28 in video): I hate everything about this play tbh. 1 yard to go and we run a boot action out of gun to Zach's left side? Zach actually delivers a decent ball and Garrett creates a good bit of separation at the top of his route but he comes back too much, catches the ball a yard short of the first down marker but then drops it as he goes to the ground.

8:15 1st quarter, 3rd & 6 (0:53 in video): Starts as a good play by Zach. Everyone looks to be covered up and Zach realizes that he's got a lane so he tries to make a play with his legs. However, he begins his slide a good 1-2 yards short of the first down marker. Poor situational awareness by Zach. Sort of a moot point because there was a penalty on the play, I think it was an illegal formation?, that would've nullified the first down but because he didn't get it, GB declines the penalty and we have to punt.

3:19 1st quarter, 3rd & 6 (1:21 in video): A very good display of Zach being uncomfortable/unsettled yesterday. Gets some pressure from the inside, looks like it's Tomlinson's man (#90 Jarran Reed), but instead of just stepping up and keeping his eyes down field he tries to boot out to his left and runs directly into #52 Rashan Gary. I just don't understand what made him feel like he had to do that inside of the pocket? It also looks like he had GW early on a slant/sit down route. Would he have gotten a 1st? Idk but he could've given him a shot. Will get a better look at the routes/coverage once the All-22 comes out but based off of the TV broadcast angle, it's a rough play from Zach.

10:59 2nd quarter, 1st & 10 (2:00 in video): Not a bad play from Zach. He actually puts this right where GW should catch it on a quick slant going right to left over the middle. GW also creates a decent amount of separation at the LOS. Hard to call this one a "bad" play considering it's against one of the best coverage CB's in the league (Jaire Alexander) but GW HAS to catch this ball. Looks like GW tries to trap this ball against his body instead of catching it with his hands. However, like I said, he's going up against an elite CB in Alexander, that's a tough play to make but it's one that I expect GW to start making very soon.

6:04 2nd quarter, 3rd & 6 (2:34 in video): Another example of Zach looking unsettled in the first half. I feel like Zach from last week sticks this ball to CD on the slant and gives him a shot to get the first down. CD is his first read as his eyes go directly to him once he gets the ball but for some reason, once he senses the pressure up the middle his eyes come off CD and he scrambles out to his right. This is what makes Zach special though. He breaks contain, gets to the sideline, and gives CD a shot to win in the EZ. But again, this should've been a quick 1-2, stick it to CD and see if he can get a first down because he has his first read open.

0:39 2nd quarter, 3rd & 1 (3:25 in video): Enough with these 3rd & 1 boots to the left side. Why is MLF putting Zach in these situations?? You either run the ball here and get the 1st with Breece or force GB to burn a TO. This was a bad mistake by the CS IMO and heavily contributed to us going into half at 3-3 instead of 6-0 or 3-0. Zach doesn't make a good throw and puts it behind GW on the sideline but this is a very difficult throw to make. Especially considering how the first half had gone up to that point. If Zach's balling and already has 150-200+ yards and 1-2 TDs? Sure, see if the kid can keep it going and ride the hot hand but I just don't understand the playcall here.

Zach had some good moments yesterday. The bomb to CD (4:31 in video) while he's rolling out to his right (see that MLF? see what Zach can do when he doesn't have to try and make a throw across his body??) and the screen to Uzomah (6:07 in the video) where he adjusts his arm angle to squeeze the ball into Uzomah stand out as good plays to me. There were a couple more where he made good throws in rhythm too so it wasn't all bad. The good thing is he has learned how to be a good game manger. He's not making back-breaking mistakes like last year which is progress. This started a pretty tough stretch against some good D's (@Packers, @Broncos, Patriots, Bills, @Patriots) so if Zach can continue to just not make mistakes, I think that will be a good sign for him.

3. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Thing that worries me , teams are going to start game planning to stop the run, and Wilson is going to be exposed and forced to throw the damn ball, especially in the RedZone, BB is a master game planner, I expect the Patriots game will be brutal

Jets79, Ralebird and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  4. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

On a side note, I wish we could have BB draft us a QB, doesn't matter who he puts in, they're all successful

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Sounds like a pretty fair assessment. It will be interesting to see the all 22. When you only throw the ball 18 times it is hard to get into rhythm but with the way the defense is playing and the running game there is really no need to throw it more.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson is doing everything I could ask a second year Quarterback to do. He is running the offense, keeping the team on the field, and most importantly, limiting harmful mistakes.

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This checks out and continues the trend of this season.

Hopefully sooner rather than later Zach can be a little more consistent against pressure.

Brook!, NCJetsfan, Lon Chaney and 2 others like this.
  8. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

It's hard for me to gauge these statistics in isolation. I'm sure Patrick Mahomes has worse stats when he is pressured too

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

All QB's do.

I don't expect Zach to be flawless against pressure but he can't be 1/7.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He has to learn how to beat pressure by finding his dump off guy and getting it to him, or if he can't find that check down, quickly chuck it away.. This is what the great QBs do against a good pass rush. How many times have we seen that done to us by Brady, Manning, et. al.? This should come as he gets more experience and internalizing the play clock as well as recognizing more quickly that his protection is going to be beaten.

Again, he's still played less than a full season in the pros.

REVISion and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Yeah, As Noam pointed out he was very tentative in the pocket when his first read was not open. He was also not moving as well. The good thing is in the Steelers game he just threw the one up to GW he did not do that against the Pack.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

However, in the 2nd half that hesitation was gone and he was decisive. IDK why he was like that in the 1st half. Nervous playing against his idol? MLF told him to be cautious? If the latter, they need to be careful about stunting his creativity too much. Zach is at his best when he plays loose (actually most players are).

NCJetsfan, KY Jets Fan and cval like this.
  13. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Zach easily could've had 2 interceptions yesterday (from just 20 throws) with one of them being a drop. He didn't play well. My guess is Flacco was allowed to sling it 50times a game because the coaching staff trusted him more to not throw interceptions. They don't have that confidence with Zach yet. We're probably going to limit his throws and stay as a run-heavy team for a while.

#113 Get me the Damn Ball, Oct 17, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    Ralebird likes this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

TBH Zach is giving me Sanchez vibes. He can be good in spurts and then just crash. Its still early in his development but I hope to see consistency improve as the year goes on.

#114 ouchy, Oct 17, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  15. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

The Jets are winning by playing "Rex ball". Strong running game, sticky secondary, and pressure on the QB. Zach is playing the Sanchez role, move the chains, limit mistakes. IF he grows into Aaron Rogers Jr., we're golden for a long time.

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

good coaching

4th round rookie with no name receivers throws for 300 against the Browns D…ugh

BacktoQueens likes this.
  17. NYJFOREVER

He hasn’t really taken many bad sacks this year, so he is getting rid of the ball.

The one sack I can think of is the one he took against Miami.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. NYJFOREVER

It’s their system.

They’ve had almost the same system installed on offense for 20 years. The play calling is simple as are the roles + responsibilities for each receiver going out on routes.

Zappe isn’t a good QB, neither is Mac Jones. BB just knows how to coach.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Mark Sanchez in his first 3 games of season 2 had a 60% completion percentage, 6 TD’s, 0 Ints. This was including games again BAL and NE, 2 of the best D’s in the league. We make fun of Sanchez because we know the end result, but thus far into his career Zach has not been better than him.

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Is he getting rid of the ball? Wilson currently has the longest average time to throw of anyone in the NFL:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

This matches up with what I've been seeing while watching him. I think it's glaringly obvious that he's holding the ball for far too long and needs to make his reads more quickly or throw the ball away/hit his checkdown if nobody is open.

Ralebird, Brook!, stinkyB and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.