For the JD critics.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Sep 3, 2022.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it seems like disastrous timing, doesn't it? Like suddenly when the Jets finally figured it out and they're still a day late and a dollar short?

The first 9 games this season really leaves no room for growth. However, after that is where I see the team making major strides. They'll figure they're stronger and athletically capable, armed with a good game plan and that’ll get the players to establish confidence. I'm not thinking the Jets will make the playoffs this season but I do think their arrow will be pointing straight up by season end.

Noam likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets need a teambuilder who has the full respect of the players. They need somebody who has done the job before.

Saleh is not going to learn on the fly what needs to be done to fix this mess. He barely keeps his legs under him as it is.

When the locker room was chanting Mike White last season it told us what we really needed to know about the situation. A HC who had the respect and trust of the players wouldn't have had his players openly doubting his QB choice like that.

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

severe overthink alert

bicketybam and FJF like this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The locker room was chanting Mike White?

Chanting to replace Zach or chanting his performance?

bicketybam and Jets69 like this.
  5. Br4d

As opposed to your no-think fandom?

I have no problem with fans remaining optimistic through a bad couple of seasons.

This has been a bad decade plus and anybody who is optimistic now is not thinking at all.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The bold are both speculative and not proven true yet.

SOJAZ, FJF, Ralebird and 5 others like this.
  8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

What a delight you are.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Whatever you gotta tell yourself to justify thinking a team chanting a QBs name after a huge win shows disrespect to the coach.

bicketybam and FJF like this.
  10. ukjetsfan

It's been an almost unbelievably bad decade, but unless you think this level of ineptitude can continue forever (which has never happened with any team in any sport), then sooner or later optimism will be justified, won't it?

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I keep thinking about what Showalter has done to transform the Mets into a contender in a single year. The change in ownership helped but it was the Veteran Manager that turned that team around. The Mets went the same route as the Jets by hiring rookie/first timers and pretty much got the same results the Jets did. When they decided to hire someone who has experience in managing a major league roster, things changed in a hurry.
    Fast forward to the Jets of recent times and you'll see a string of marginally successful hires but none who stand out in a good way. If Saleh and his staff continue to have the same level of futility they've had so far, I don't think JD will have a choice other than to replace them with a HC with prior experience being an HC. This market has not been kind to OJT guys running teams.

SOJAZ, papapump, Br4d and 1 other person like this.
  12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It’s obvious this roster is far more talented than it was when JD took over. It is also obvious that will need to translate to wins.

Unfortunately it takes time to build through the draft and young talent need to learn how to win. I understand we’re Jets fans and are out of patience but that is the reality of the situation.

bicketybam, KY Jets Fan, FJF and 3 others like this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sorry ...the TIME IS NOW

The young talent did a whole lot of winning in College..so what do they need "to learn" ...if you mean no mistakes well forget that

But the First and Second round players we drafted HAVE to make an IMMEDIATE impact or else 4th year GM Douglas will have more busts on his hands than Just fall on your knee Zach

14. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

While I agree that Buck has helped the Mets, mainly due to bad team characteristics developing under their last manager... The influx of talent brought in by the new owner, and some guys playing who have been hurt previous year or two, definitely is a bigger reason the Mets are where they are.

HC/staff is way more important in the NFL though and I agree of it's importance there.

FJF likes this.
  15. Br4d

Optimism will be justified when the Jets perform in a way on the field that warrants optimism.

NYJetsO12 and westiedog1 like this.
  16. ukjetsfan

Fair enough.

17. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas looks fat to me.

FJF, Dierking and JackBower like this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

For one, it matters not where I sandwiched it in (even though it was at the crust end of the loaf), if you had read the post you would have read it, simple as that really.

I was having a conversation with another poster and was mainly conversing back to his post, in some agreement about the CS but offering prasie to JD for his draft ability, (you can praise some aspects of being a GM, even and you know this is going way out there, even if you don't think he has won enough games

Your analogy was shit because he isn't a salesman and sport does not work like any other job on the planet, a salesman also doesn't have to rebuild 10 years of junk from the previous incumbent or incompetents, take your pick.

and I never once mentioned rebuilding in any of my posts today regarding JD until this last sentence and only in addressing your post, but you'd know that because you read them ;)

bicketybam likes this.
  19. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Moves that will be Cited when JD eventually loses his job:

His entire first draft busting out.
    Replacing his 1st young QB’s favorite receiver with Breshad Perriman
    His unwillingness to move away from or at least try to insure his draft mistakes (Becton), even if it puts his own prized QB draftee at risk. (We are an injury away from Max Mitchell being the guy protecting Zach Wilson, unacceptable and could have easily been avoided)
    His prized QB looks like trash this far
    He hired a defensive minded coach to lead an incredibly raw QB
    His defensive coach runs one of the simplest defensive scheme in the league that relies on having elite players at multiple positions, thus it will constantly require valuable resources that won’t be able to be used to help his prized young QB.
    Even though it’s failed multiple times, he continuously thinks he can patch his OL with has been overpriced veterans
    Jets record under Joe Douglas 13-36 (6-27 if you’re one of those guys that doesn’t count his first season)
    Jets offense rankings since Douglas arrived- 32, 32, 26
    Jets defensive ranking since Douglas arrived- 16, 26, 32

He’s done plenty of good things as well and so far I’m on board with him. But if Zach busts (and all points to that being the likely outcome) JD’s luster is pretty much completely gone. He may get one more chance after that, but like all desperate GM’s he will likely go for the safest FA QB he can find to win some games at the expense of drafting another QB for the future. It might buy another year or two before the inevitable. This movie is on repeat folks, what we’ve been doing the last 25 years is what we’ll continue doing. Until we draft a bonafide stud QB and surround him with a front office and coaching staff that supports that QB, nothing will change.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member