For the JD critics.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Sep 3, 2022.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Interesting extremities of views. The truth doesn't always lie in the middle, but I don't agree with either extreme in this case.

It LOOKS like JD has brought some genuine talent to the team, but it is true that it won't count for anything if the coaching staff fails to turn it into a team. There is no way of knowing if the Jets are any better this year. They should be, but until we see them play nobody can say one way or the other. JD does not deserve unconditional praise, nor does he deserve condemnation. By the end of this season, though, I think we will know one way or the other.

My gut feeling is that he is bringing quality players in, but the coaching staff is not up to the job. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what my gut is telling me.

Jojo and SOJAZ like this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I very much doubt anybody that judges him on wins will be happy after next season either, it looks a brutal schedule and all of a sudden the AFC East is a very tough group again.

I agree fully on the DC and wouldn't mind Salah being a HC calling D tbh LaFleur shows some promise but an OC who turns that promise into results will not be an OC for long.

JD has shown us how a proper GM moves in the draft and in the trade scenarios and can be praised for that with or without wins, obviously at the end of the day we need to start winning but if we chop JD at the end of this season we will not be winning for a long time again anyway.

NYJ1970, Noam and Nyjets4eva like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Jets almost back doored the playoffs in 2019. We’ve been 6-27 since.

It’s funny seeing this Jets roster posted and glorified - I see very little Pro Bowls and no All-Pro’s. It feels like some of these guys will grab some of those but I’m not sure how you bang your chest about it.

Wahoo and Ralebird like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

How do you not judge on wins and losses? Imagine not judging a sales person on their sales numbers after they miss their quota by 5x?

“Well at least they had a lot of good meetings along the way.”

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You judge him on the rebuild. We think JD should have a built a Superbowl roster in a season. It does not work that way especially with the cupboards as bare as they were when JD took over.

Heck Fire everyone

bicketybam, KingRoach, Jets79 and 3 others like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

No one said that. But 8/9 wins this deep into a general managers tenure should be the standard.

4-6 means that the rebuild is failing. Why do Jets fans unrealistically think rebuilds take half a decade in the NFL?

Sec124DieHard and Acad23 like this.
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Imagine not taking all aspects of being a GM into consideration (what a shit analogy you used as well btw)

Also, did you not read what I typed at all?

I mean it is almost like you ignored the bit about needing to win but I guess you have proven my point from my post on the previous page.

'There is no discussion because blinkered people only see W's as the only thing they are going to judge him on'

Have a great day!

bicketybam and KingRoach like this.
  8. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

To me, it feels like we are steadying the ship but not making much progress. I’m a JD critic so I’ll guess I’ll have to STFU as per the thread title.

For what it’s worth, this may well be another 2007 Mangini-esque era that we look back on and see necessary positive changes but need a change in coaching and management to be competitive.

SOJAZ and IDFjet like this.
  9. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Without a doubt agree with your first sentence, however, Salah is in what, his second year of this system? Will need time to develop the synchronicity that is needed....

10. Jonathan_Vilma

You sandwiched the statement about needing to win in between two different statements making it seem like it’s ok if we don’t because the schedule is hard and we need to keep Douglas even if we lose a lot.

This is a discussion board. If you’re going to get your parties in a bunch over disagreement then you’re going to struggle.

How is my analogy shit? What profession survives four years heading into their fifth with trash results?

What is not being factored in? Again there’s some crazy misnomer around year that rebuilds are some absurdly long venture. If there is minimal progress in year three (really year four but everyone here likes to give him a mulligan on 2019) then there’s something wrong.

Sec124DieHard and IDFjet like this.
  11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

JD will be judged on one thing: How good Zach Wilson is. If he is good and plays like a FQB then wins will sort themselves because the roster is now competitive enough. If he isn't good then wins won't come at an acceptable level no matter what he does elsewhere with roster, cap and draft.

Jets fan land is a strange place sometimes. Some complain that we haven't won enough games because the GM hasn't provided a good enough roster soon enough at the same time that others complain he's wasted money on FAs and vets and that you can't build a team to win like that. I guess its just one of those jobs where you can't win, well, unless you do manage to win that is.

RonPi, Jeff M and Jets79 like this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I can't think of a single team with a losing record ever winning the SB. Wins matter. To quote Herm: "That's why we play the game.." At the end of the day, if you can't put together a winning roster and show results, what's the point. You don't get forever to rebuild either. There's a shelf life to it and in JD's case, He needs to show something other than names on the roster. That goes for Saleh too. It could be that JD hired the wrong guy for this situation. The record kinda points in that direction even with the excuse of a poorly constructed roster compliments of Macc and he who shall not be named.. Not using wins as a measure only provides a built excuse for losing as there always will be some explanation why a team underperforms. Some fans are good with that as they'll fall back on the rebuilding rationale. Some fans are not good with losing and just are done with the endless rebuild. That's the nature of things in JetLand..

Wahoo, Sec124DieHard, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  13. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Oh yes, you're so right. Where would I be without an intense honor and respect for some tool on the internet. Get over yourself. And make sure your "know it all" attitude gets right back here to get ridiculed when you're proven disastrously WRONG....

bicketybam likes this.
  14. NYJ1970

Yes. I should definitely be suspended for hurting the feelings of the pessimism faction of Jets world....

bicketybam and hornblower like this.
  15. NYJ1970

See this is a fair statement but one that I vehemently disagree with. JD has proven with the emergence of this year's draft class (and they will emerge as major contributors to the Jets this season) that he has an eye for talent. Just because Zach doesn't work out I don't believe Woody or the fanbase will turn on him. The overall team is much, much, much better and that's what will resonate with Woody. Zach can straight up fail and Saleh could fall flat on his face but I still Woody would retain JD because he's proven to be installing a pipeline of incoming talent.....

SOJAZ, Noam and hornblower like this.
  16. Cman68

The question should be not if JD has created a stable pool of new young talent but rather, do we have the right CS in place to turn all this potential talent into a winning roster. The record so far isn't good but time will tell and it won't take forever to know one way or the other.

SOJAZ, IDFjet and NYJ1970 like this.
  17. NYJ1970

JD specifically negotiated a 6 year deal with Woody because he knew he would need to completely rebuild the roster. That job still isn't finished. He's only in year 3. He has 3 more years to go and I believe Woody will honor that. It would take an epic disaster to the tune of something like 3-14 for Woody to abandon the plan JD is executing.

18. NYJ1970

I agree with this. I think many here are missing the fact that Saleh could just be a bad HC? I don't believe that but honestly what has he proven thus far??

SOJAZ likes this.
  19. Cman68

Again, JD will have to make the call on Saleh and his staff if things continue to stay as they are. JD's first draft wasn't that good and unless things turn ar0und PDQ, JD's first hire will suffer the same fate.

NYJ1970 likes this.
  20. NYJ1970

Exactly. Like he was magically overnight going to go 15-2. Lol