Mangini only gets 3 out of 50 votes. Payton wins COTY..MERGED

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe W. Namath, Jan 6, 2007.

1. A.C.E.S

A.C.E.S New Member

Well lets give Sean Payton some credit. Eric Mangini is still a very good coach. The Jets were 4-12 last season, but we we're better then that. Alot of people picked us to go to the Super Bowl but injuries screwed us. This year we didn't have alot of injuries and look at our record. We were not that bad of a team last year.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Here's the problem with that analysis: the Jets were getting absolutely killed on the line of scrimmage early last season even before Chad went down. I had the Jets as a 7 to 9 win team going into the season last year, after watching the KC game and before the Chad injury I was thinking 6 wins maybe. When Mawae went down even 6 was out of reach.

Mangini definitely took over a bad team, it just wasn't a hopeless team like the Saints appeared to be. The first thing that happened to Payton when he took the job was his excellent center LeCharles Bentley vamoosed for Cleveland in free agency. Think about losing your starting center, who everybody agreed was a very good player and still turning 3-13 into 10-6.

3. lightning

lightning Active Member

Fuck Sean Payton.

You go 10-6 with:
    Drew Brees
    Reggie Bush
    Deuce
    Horn
    Colston

and this is a surprise?

4. A.C.E.S

A.C.E.S New Member

I get what you mean. Whats the diffrence between last years roster and this years ? Preety much a solid offensive line and NO INJURIES. We lost our best rusher and our best CB, last time I checked thats suppose to hurt us. I'm not going to say Payton is not a good coach but I think some votes came in for him because of what happened to New Orleans.

5. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

Two of these guys, this very coach drafted, and one he signed as a FA. All part of it.

6. lightning

lightning Active Member

Who's to say how much input he had in that area? Not to mention drafting reggie bush wasn't much of a thinking process.

7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I knew he would get it - and congrats to him

But by that margin is a little absurd and no doubt Mangini has done equal (10-6) with less.

8. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

It is just the usual disrespect shown to the JETS by the print media! Screw them. We know who the real COACH of the YEAR really is!

9. Rib Boy

Rib Boy Member

It's idiotic that they always give it to someone who "turned around" an awful team. There are usually extenuating circumstances. If you can't win 10 games in the awful NFC with Brees, Deuce, Bush, Horn and Colston then something's wrong. And your boys were only terrible on '05 because of injuries (and Herm), the biggest difference this year is Chad has played every game.

I'd give it to Fisher or Marty.

10. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

Maybe he won it because he beat 3 playoff teams and won his division instead of beating 1 playoff team and coming in 2nd in the division???

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hey, anybody know where Dick Jauron finished in the voting?

12. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

That still doesn't take away the fact he took over a 4-12 team, no running back, who knew what he had at QB, rookie coordinators, and implementing a new defense? To win 10 games?

I have no problem with Payton getting it, but 3 votes?

13. BuffaloBills06

I admit 3 votes is a little harsh! But you dont think that scenerio played a big part in the voting?

14. GreenMachine

The scenario he just mentioned was the Jets..:wink:

15. BuffaloBills06

I'm not trying to crack jokes, I'm being dead ass real! If I was to vote I would look at that too, quality of wins plays a big part in the voting process and the Saints went into Dallas and NY and blew out 2 playoff teams on the road!

16. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

It might have(Katrina) but that shouldn't play a factor. No disrespect at all, it was a tragedy. But the voters should just vote on the coaching, not outside of football.

Congrats to Payton though, he did an excellent job.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Any NFC HC should have to give up penalty votes for playing in that joke of a conference.

18. BuffaloBills06

Peyton also took over a 3-13 team, a RB coming off a serious knee injury, a QB that had a career ending injury, implemented a new offense(#1) and defense(#11), so he did everything Mangini did and a little bit more.

#58 BuffaloBills06, Jan 6, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  19. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Giants made the playoffs but I wouldnt call them a Playoff Team. The Jets 2 wins over Miami are more impressive than beating the overrated , overhyped Gmen.

Dont be a fool - There are 5-6 guys who could have won it - the bigggest factor in it all was KATRINA. Not that Payton should not have won but not a landslide over Mangini , Reid , Billick and Shottenheimer

20. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

You guys are bitching about a head coach of the year award???? Fuck that!!!! LETS BEAT NEW ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:jets: :jets: :jets: