Mangini only gets 3 out of 50 votes. Payton wins COTY..MERGED

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe W. Namath, Jan 6, 2007.

1. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Exactly. As much as Mangini deserved to win by doing more with less, he never stood a chance.

2. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

You knew NO was going to win one of these awards, when Pennington got CBPOTY the chances of Mangini winning COTY were slim to none. I think they got the winners mixed up in this case however.

3. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Meh, that just isn't right. Payton took over a very talented team. Whatever, Mangini will win motorola COTY.

4. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Simply put, the Media does not like Mangini because he's the master of "nothing"-talk as I like to call it..

5. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

On the money Sono- Mang use this affront to further destruction of the Pats tomorrow.

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Of all people you can't make that complaint, Rob, since you've been saying since last summer that the Jets were talented enough to win 13 games.

7. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

:lol: :beer: :beer: Well done!

8. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

I would have been shocked if Mangini won it. Payton was the popular favorite, and understandably so. If I had only one vote, and was not a jet fan, I would have voted for Payton.

That said, because I AM a Jet fan and have watched every move Mangini has made since he was hired very closely, I think Mangini did one of the best coaching jobs I've ever seen and probably deserved the award.

9. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't know about that, i thought the media looked at him like a Belichick with a personality

10. TampaJet

TampaJet Member

Come on guys. I love Mangini also, but peyton deserved it also. With the destruction of N.O. and all they endured last year. I'm happy for the whole team. The only award Mangini cares about is a Super Bowl Trophy. Thats my coach of the year. Now lets kick some Patriot ass.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I have no problem w/ payton winning it but 3 votes? that's a joke. People talk about the scheds but NO had an EASIER sched than we did and won 10 games in the weak NFC. 3 votes is a sham vote.

12. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

Kinda hard to believe only 3 NY scribes voted for Mangini.
    This is voted on by the press, no?

13. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

GreenMachine hit the jackpot of his post.

Payton deserved to win, but so did Mangini. It's pathetic that Mangini only got 3 Votes. 3! I think the biggest reason that Payton won the award was not because of the performance of the field. I think it's the fact the he led the Saints to the playoffs, being they were a team that is in the state of the hear of the Hurricane Katrina disaster. Not saying it's the sympathy-turned success vote, but I think that had a big part of it.

Whatever though. Mangini has proved he is an awesome coach to us Jets fans. Truth is I don't think Mangini is concerned that he didn't win.

14. Sharrow

Sharrow New Member

Sure Payton won his division, but nobody else is in his division was any good this year. We would have won that division too. He should have gotten more than 3 votes, even if most of them gave the sympathy vote, I would hope there were more than 3 that would be completely objective about it. It doesn't mean much anyway though, it would have been nice, but I'm sure Mangini couldn't care less.

15. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

Recount! I demand a recount!

16. TheGuarantee

TheGuarantee New Member

The only thing Mangini gives two ticks about winning is tomorrow's game. Let Payton have it.

17. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

I think this was the perception early on, but as the season has progressed I think the media has become quite fond of him (at least the NY beat writers who cover the team every day). He's actually pretty funny and does not appear to take himself too seriously. He just seems like a really likeable guy from everything I have seen--and anything I have seen has come through the media--so I think they've warmed up to him too.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Payton took a 3-13 team to the #2 seed in the NFC Playoffs.

He did this despite the franchise that he joined not having made the playoffs in 5 seasons.

He was my COTY, and that's taking nothing away from Mangini who had a great first season with the Jets.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't know, the beat writers know how to kiss some ass to gets questions answered, and at the end of the day their jobs are still 10 times harder than they were under Edwards.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't have that much faith in the NY sports media.

20. If the media made the decision based on the same points you make, I have no problem w/ their selection.

My beef is, I believe many of the media outlets chose it based on Peyton winning it being a great feel good story.