Let's talk WR's

Discussion in 'Draft' started by REVISion, Jan 5, 2022.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Everyone here knows what a huge fan of Burks I was, and still am to a degree. I still like him and would be happy if the Jets take him, but I'm becoming a big Christian Watson fan as well. I may wind up switching allegiance to him and want him to be the WR that the Jets draft. He is said to most likely be a top 50 pick now. I've seen tweets about KC taking him at #31. I've seen tweets from Lions fans saying they hope that the Lions will take him at the top of the 2nd round.

He may not last until pick #35. The Jets coached him at the Sr. Bowl so they have a pretty strong idea of what kind of player and person he is and of what he's capable of doing.

He looks like he could be a stud in the NFL He has it all: route running, balance, high football IQ, quick feet, speed, great hands, elusiveness, YAC, tracks the ball extremely well on deep routes, comes back for the ball, has great focus, is explosive and a freakish athlete, is a good and willing blocker, and he's 6'4" so will be a great compliment to Moore. Speed kills, and with the speed those two have, it could give opposing DCs nightmares.

Watch these videos read the article, and then let me know what you think.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/02/f...in-blocking-and-it-showed-during-senior-bowl/

I'm certain that some posters, perhaps most will say that #10 is way too early to take him, and it probalby is. That said, I'm not so certain that it is. Perhaps if the Jets could trade down to around 15 or so, they could take him there. Even then, some team may have grabbed him.

What say you? Would you take this kid? If so, where/how early?

#241 NCJetsfan, Mar 7, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    Borat, jdub03 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Yup it’s different with the pads on. Hence the phrase football speed. Burks is a lot faster than people are giving him credit for. This isn’t track and field this is football.

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Big thing about Burks was that he could be a great combination of size and speed, which could be helpful at the next level. He still has good size, but measured 6-2, instead of 6-3. He still has decent speed, but not in 4.3s as people thought. He is not a bad athlete, but overall athletic score is pretty underwhelming. Vertical is not as great either. Definitely not a freak athlete. Didn't do that great in the drills.

Yes, he is still a good prospect, definitely 1st round, but before this I thought he was definitely a top 10 guy, now maybe just outside top 10. Still high, still good potential, just slightly below than when I thought he has elite athleticism, which does help realize potential in NFL to some degree. There is still a Pro Day, and if it was just one bad day, Burks has a chance to improve his stock.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Definitely would take the guy. Had him in focus because of his size first, then his speed; his ability get up there and take the ball doesn't hurt either.

Where? One spot before he would be gone is my reasoning and we really don't get anywhere near as close to where that is than the guys actually making the selections. My guess he goes somewhere between 38 and 69 with a possibility of higher after his combine performance.

My one reservation, and one that is not as significant at WR as it might be at some other positions, is that his competition going forward is going to be a lot tougher than the Towson and Valparaiso he's used to.

5. Rockinz

I never saw London triple teamed once on film… also saying he lined up everywhere is false I don’t recall him lining up on the right very many times. The guy is a bust I wouldn’t touch him with a 10 foot pole. Watson too.. his hands and route running abilities are questionable at best. Both are land mines in this draft from what I’ve seen.

If I’m JD going into this draft looking for a WR early in either the 1st or 2nd round it comes down to Burks, Wilson, Williams, Olave, Dotson, Metchie, Moore and Ross outside those 8 prospects inside the first 2 rounds I’m not pulling the trigger on a WR.

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i mean if you don't like him you don't like him. I don't want to use a 1st on a WR but if we did, I'd take london over burks anyday. his film is just way better. he moves the chains, better ball skills, better contested catch, plays tougher despite being skinnier then burks and better route runner/more effort.
    as far as not taking a late one, I think you are really sleeping on calvin austin III. dude is probably a 4th or 5th rounder and looks like a perfect slot WR. already a good route runner, fast, agile, freak athlete. returns kicks and punts. he has some work to do on his game but he's a weapon who replaces berrios/crowder

REVISion likes this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

So London gets knocked for facing inferior defenses than Burks but you like a WR from North Dakota State?

This guy wasn't considered a top tier WR before he lit up the combine. I don't like taking workout warriors.

8. GasedAndConfused

watson actually intrigues me. I cna't understand why he was rated so low other then weak comp and it all looked to easy. he was just wide open so much i feel like people think he didn't earn it and the comp just sucked. I like watson more then burks. I doubt he lasts long but if he's there in the 3rd i'd take a flyer on him

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is true but I heard one draft analyst say NDSU is basically the Alabama of FCS, meaning they have a ton more talent than everyone they play. That worries me a lot when analyzing prospects from there.

10. GasedAndConfused

Honestly I think the whole talent level thing is overblown. the reality is not a single college defense could compare to even the worst NFL defense so you'll never get an accurate level of competition of what they will face in the NFL. Plus that would only skew stats which is why I don't care about stats mostly (few rare cases for me like I prefer an edge usher who actually got sacks in college) but for WRs i'd rather just watch the film and see how they run routes, the effort, the game speed, the concentration, the hands etc.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

he's literally being the al davis of the offseason and only looking at size/speed combos. if london ran a 4.3 he'd be all over him

12. NCJetsfan

He isn't just a workout warrior. He excelled at the Sr. Bowl vs. the top competition in his draft class. Did you watch any video of him? He will have an adjustment, but he is a complete WR and football player. He has a high football IQ, he has everything the Jets need and want at WR. It may take him a year to adjust to the NFL, but may not. With his speed and route running ability, he shouldn't have too many problems.

If you don't like him that's fine. IMO he's a far more talented football player than London or Wilson. The Jets want and need speed at WR. London doesn't provide that. Wilson does, but Watson is faster and is 4-5 inches taller with great leaping ability, the things you killed Burks for. He is a perfect scheme fit.

I finally figured out one of the things I don't like about Wilson. He has this weird way of jumping where he flays his legs out awkwardly rather than keeping both of them together straight under him. I think that's going to lead to injuries in the NFL, maybe serious injuries.

13. NCJetsfan

That's a legitimate concern, but lots of other players have made it as quality players, if not stars in the NFL from those kinds of programs. Zach Wilson is on his way to doing that, although BYU isn't the dominant program at its level that NDSU is.

14. jdub03

jdub03 Active Member

I think this happens every year with players that don't play in major conferences. The media isn't aware of them until some news worthy event happens, in Watsons case, the senior bowl. Before that, he wasn't even listed on many draft websites. After the SB, I saw him anywhere from late 2nd -4th round. I think the combine will push him up some too. Where too....I'm not sure. It's certainly possible he goes in the late first. I like him enough to take at 35 or 38.

I haven't watch Austin yet. I'm planning on checking him, Melton, and Sky out in the coming weeks. I think we end up resigning berrios, but if he doesn't resign, then this is good draft for his replacement.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

I seen watson listed a lot but usually in the 4-5th round. I think after the SB and combine he may jump into the 2nd but I will say his film looks good but also looks like he was just too dominant that it's scary. he won't have the large advantages over NFL caliber players but I do like him a lot. more the reason not to use a 1st on burks. lots of good WRs in round 2-4 I like better then burks

16. NCJetsfan

Instead of trying to portray yourself as this objective observer of prospects and faux psychologist analyzing others, you ought to try learning the English language and how to use it properly. You are a joke with your "seen". You're just an illiterate wannabe.

17. GasedAndConfused

lol it's a forum. someone who isn't mentally stable making fun of grammar on a forum just show show mentally small and unstable you are. but keep over compensating my dude. whatever helps you sleep at night. i'll make my grammar even worse just for you so you can feel better at night

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks for these! I knew if I waited long enough someone would dig up good info on players we should definitely consider!:p

As for Watson, I do like him the best so far of the ones I've seen - over Burks, Wilson, London for sure. But it's really hard to judge a guy who plays against Div. II talent, especially when he's surrounded by a lot of talent. That said, I try to isolate the individual player's moves, speed, pass catching ability and technique, willingness for contact, and flexibility, all of which are independent of competition or supporting cast. Based on all of that I'd take him and maybe at #10 to make sure I got him. It might be overdrafting him a bit, but I'd hate to lose him because JD waited until 35 to take him because he's not going to last that long IMO. Possibly if Douglas trades back into the back end of the first round that would work, but I'm a firm believer in taking a player who's likely to be in high demand as soon as you can. I still think Douglas made a mistake in his first draft by trading back and having to settle for Mims because better options were taken right ahead of his trade back position - proving there's such a thing as getting too greedy.

Watson provides the big, fast WR who can also be used in other roles, and who can block - in short, he's the whole package for this offense. Taking him at #10 would not be a bad move - get him before someone else does.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Rockinz

I completely disagree. London is fragile and is really only impressed me with 50/50 balls and even on those plays he got shaken up. He’s Mims 2.0

I want a baller not a cupcake trying to look tough. A few years from now I’d be willing to bet he’s a bust.

Ross is a better prospect if you like that flavour of wide receiver. I’d take him in the 2nd over London at 10 any day.

20. GasedAndConfused

I really don't get how you can see mims in london when his game is way more similar to burks. I never liked mims film or when we drafted him. even though some people including those who like burks were stoked about him. of course like I said i could be completely wrong, but I've watched a ton of burks and don't see it. i'm not a huge london fan either but I like him more then burks for sure.