Jets are picking 4th and 10th in the 2022 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Arguably our most important draft. This will make or break the team.

2. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Evan Neal (OL) and Jameson Williams (WR) in Rd 1

Devin Lloyd (LB) and Arnold Ebiketie (DE) in Rd 2

3. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Between free agency and the first 3 rounds, I would say the following are a must:

Safety
    OLB
    WR - stud
    Edge
    TE
    And of course the Oline can be improved

Don’t really care how it gets done but those are the main issues of concern.

I would prefer the WR to be a draft pick

A top corner is a luxury to me…the young guys all did well and improved IMO

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

With those first four picks they need to get:

C/RG
    WR/TE
    Edge

There are 5 positions that absolutely need to be upgraded. Depending on who and what position is available will determine which of those five get filled in the first 4 picks. Also depends on if Douglas can fill any of them in FA with studs.

5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Agree Br4d, but Douglas traded down in 2020 and we got

Mims
    Davis
    Zudiga
    Morgan
    Clark

they all stink. Douglas HAS to do better
    :

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Well if this draft is soft but 2023 is thick with talent, maybe all our trade downs should be for 2023 picks.

We'd still have just as many picks this draft, albeit each a bit lower but we'd be locked and loaded for next years draft. Plus all the picks we get for next year would be a round higher than if we get compensated in this draft.

We could trade down a bit and pick up a few extra 2nd and 3rd round picks in this draft or pick up a few extra 1st and 2nd round picks in next years draft.

apjbfc and barfolomew like this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah we probably need 3/4 of the first and second round picks to hit at least.

tomdeb likes this.
  8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Either thru free agency or draft they need LBs and safeties who can tackle. I think it was Parcells that said that a safety who doesn't provide run support is next to worthless. As I said before Ashton Davis couldn't tackle my 88 year old mother in law.

barfolomew and cval like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agreed they definitely need to upgrade the S and LB, but I'm hoping JD does this via FA - they need to use their premium draft picks for Edge, WR, C/G because top players in those positions rarely hit FA unless they have some problem.

barfolomew and tomdeb like this.
  10. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Really ticked off that Cards screwed us. :mad::mad:

11. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Darnold will end being one of the best young backups in the league. perfect for him - no pressure and he will paid a lot LOL.

barfolomew and stinkyB like this.
  12. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

JD has to trade the #4 back.

barfolomew and KY Jets Fan like this.
  13. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Probably more worthwhile to see if we can pick up another first next year rather than a couple of 2's this year. Consistently having multiple first rounders (assuming QB is taken care of) will ensure we're bringing in blue chip talent each year. It'll also spread out the rookie deals.

Figures we have a 4 in a year with lackluster QB talent

apjbfc and KY Jets Fan like this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Wait and see who gets hyped. For sure by mid March one QB will be the next Justin Herbert. These are early days.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We usually agree, but I differ from you with regard to a couple of statements in this post. One that there are only 5 positions that absolutely need to be upgraded. I think that there are at least 6 (Edge, WR, TE, S, RT as Fant was only OK at RT, and OLB). We also need another RB and probably another TE, and could stand to add a veteran CB. Two, that they need to upgrade C/RG within the first 4 picks. LDT has played very well. He wanted to be here. Re-sign him to start. Even if Clarke is healthy and going to be back, they should sign another OG in FA and/or draft one. I think they could draft one in the 3rd or 4th round. To have a very good OL one doesn't have to use only 1st and 2nd round draft picks to build it. In fact, one cannot afford to do that. Way too much money and cap space would be tied up in the OL, and you'd have to let 2 or 3 of them walk within a few years or you would have to let WRs or CBs (playmakers) walk. The Jets got into that bind not so long ago when they had all those 1st round picks on the OL (2009 and 2010) and they couldn't afford to pay topnotch WRs. AVT is solid. McGovern has been very good this year. He has one more year on his deal as does Fant.

In terms of the C position, I'd love to add Linderbaum, but I'm afraid that's a luxury. The problem is I don't think there's alot at the position in FA and aside from Linderbaum, I'm not sure that there's another C who would be an ideal starter within a year or two. There's a kid from out west somewhere Dohnovan West who is a C/OG and who has great lateral movement skills, and he can probably be had in the 3rd or 4th round, but he may only be solid depth, but that would be fine for the 2022 season if LDT is back as the starter. Then we could extend McGovern if need be, or draft a C next year if West doesn't look like he will be a quality C.

IMO OT is a MUCH greater need that C or RG, especially with what happened to Becton this year and Moses being a FA. Fant only has one more year on his deal, but he could be extended. Still we need a depth upgrade over McDermott and Edoga, and ideally, we'd have two quality OT backups on the roster instead of one. We could re-sign Moses to backup the RT spot, but we still need a backup LT if Fant is going to start at RT.

We also need a S and LB, and they should be taken fairly high (2nd or 3rd round). We can hopefully sign a starting S in FA as there could be a couple of quality Ss available. There possibly could be a quality OLB available as well, but I think we need to get someone at MLB as well to rotate with Mosely and groom for 2023.

I'm hoping that we can trade down 4-5 spots from either our or the Seahawks' 1st round pick and add a couple of second round picks and a 3rd round pick. That would greatly help JD fill holes and address depth.

16. NCJetsfan

How do you figure the bold? We still have a lot of holes. We need extra picks now in 2022 much more than we do in 2023. The team needs to be much more competitive in 2022, and hopefully challenge for a playoff spot. The D was hardly addressed in the draft last year. On D we have dire needs at Edge, LB, and S, and on offense, we have needs at WR, TE, OT, and need to greatly improve the depth at OG, C, TE, WR, and RB. There's no way an extra 1st in 2023 will help this team as two additional seconds will in 2022.

ouchy and tomdeb like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Where do you get that this draft is soft? I couldn't possibly disagree more. There is topflight talent at WR, LB, CB, excellent depth at Edge, S, RB, TE. We need to address holes this year with all these picks we have, not wait another year. The fanbase won't stand for that, nor should they, and there's no way that Saleh and JD are going to be willing to wait another year to address needs.

tomdeb likes this.
  18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I agree this draft has a lot of talent, it just doesn't (yet) have any hot QB prospects or any WOW factor players so it is more strength in depth than one of those drafts that has 2 or 3 marquee names - next year has multiple hot QB prospects though so would be great to get some low first round picks then

barfolomew likes this.
  19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

EDIT: Just realized I already replied to this post lol

Man, I need some more coffee this morning…

Brook! and cval like this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

There's something to be said for either strategy IMO. This team is in dire need of talent and I think you could get a starter-caliber player at 40 & 60 but maybe we get lucky again and trade for their 2023 1st and it's another top 10 pick.

I'd be greedy and ask for all three of those (2022 2nd's 40th & 60th, and their 2023 1st) and 9th overall to make the trade. If someone's trading up in this draft class, it'll be because Pickett or Corral blow up in the pre-draft process and shoot up draft boards, and you can throw out the draft value charts when someone's trading up for a QB.