Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 12, 2021.

1. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

That year he signed Vick and Chris Johnson... and drafted Pryor, Amaro, Jalen Saunders, and Shaquelle Evans to name a few.

The year before he drafted Miller, Richardson and Geno.

This is not comparable to anything in JDs tenure. They are not comfortable as GMs.

Jets79 likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Douglas drafted Becton, Mims, and Davis with his first three picks, who currently look like a trio of busts. And the rest of the class isn't worth anything either. 2021 has a couple promising players, but it isn't like they're good enough to get attention outside of Jets fan spaces (as much as AVT fans want to think otherwise). Oh and Zach Wilson is the worst starting QB in the league in an offense that can look competent with journeymen running it. One more thing: Idzik's record in his two years, having taken over a depleted roster with no cap space, was 12-20. Douglas's is 12-34. With 7 of those wins coming from a season that he had almost nothing to do with. His record is really 5-25. Makes Idzik look good by comparison.

3. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

The New England Patriots idea of rebuilding consists of having one losing 7-9 season and then going straight back into contention the following season with a rookie QB. All this while receiving low draft picks. The Jets idea of rebuilding consists of losing over ten games for five or six consecutive seasons and then continuing to suck and setting records for futility. All this while receiving high draft picks. Hard to believe anyone who is not delusional can realistically expect the Jets to seriously compete in the AFC East anytime soon.

Yeah, some real nice trades by JD. Unfortunately, trades don't win you jack shit if you have no clue on how to put a competitive roster together in a couple of seasons like all the other legitimate NFL teams seem to do time after time.

4. JackBower

I guess you've missed the Pepsi we've been stacking all year....

Acad23 likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

Maccagnan once won Executive of the Year...

6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

crazy isn’t it? Same with the Steelers…for them, a down year is like 7-9, and then they’re back in the playoffs a year later. Same for the Ravens. And you’re right, they’re doing it without top three picks

crazy the difference between a franchise that’s been well run for years by people who know football as compared to the shit show we’ve had to endure

Brook!, REVISion, Br4d and 1 other person like this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I cant comprehend the idea that if we suck again next year it will be alright, but if we suck in 2023, that will be unacceptable. JD had prime resources the last two offseasons, probably the most in the league, to build a competent team and failed miserably. Were never going to have a playoff team under JDs guidance.

REVISion and Br4d like this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

sorry…I think there is room for criticism of JD’s results so far as our record shows, but he is not even close to Idzik. I’m not gonna give Idzik credit for “fixing” the cap by cutting a bunch of guys that anyone on this board would have cut. He had 14 fucking picks and he screwed up EVERY single one…I’ll give him credit for Enunwa I guess, but still. That was the great WR year…we could’ve had Cooks but passed on him for Pryor…a damn safety who can’t cover (gee…why does that sound familiar?)…and then took some receivers who didn’t do shit. He should’ve used some of those picks to trade up or into next year…he screwed the draft prior too. He just sucked.

I think JDs first draft is a bust too…Becton can’t stay on the field…Morgan, Zuniga, Perine all suck…Cam never got on the field…Davis is a fast guy but not a very good safety…Mims is shitting the bed too. Bad draft no two ways about it. But part of that is picking players for a different coach and scheme…he probably wouldn’t have picked Becton for the scheme we are running now.

I’m totally not sold on Wilson…I’ve been very critical…didn’t like the BYU weak schedule crap, and he’s shown me nothing to date to indicate he’s the guy…he’s been terrible, and damn it, I don’t want a QB that we have to fucking look for progress with a damn magnifying glass (oh…look at that throw vs Tennessee! Oh, look, he didn’t throw any picks today while he throws for 170 damn yards), or who we have to always make excuses for (oh…look at his OL! Oh, his receivers drop passes, like no other team drops passes, or like half the drops aren’t because he throws behind the receiver)…especially when THREE other QBs make this offense look serviceable while he goes three and out half the time.

BUT…I’m still willing to ride with JD for a bit. I think his trades have been spot on. His second draft is looking much better than his first. I like that he doesn’t go for the splash free agent moves that seem to never work. He did inherit a shit show, and he does need time to fix it.

I DO expect to see progress next year, though. Another draft with multiple high picks should get us out of the gutter…and if he fucks up that draft, then see ya.

Pepsiguy5 and Brook! like this.
  9. JackBower

In all seriousness, the rookies have to be getting some acknowledgement away from the Jets if they are getting weekly awards... No matter how dumb they may be.

While Becton has pissed everyone off, he can't be called a bust yet... But regardless, idzik or Mac never had a draft with as much first year success at this current class. JD may prove he sucks, but he's not at that level of suck those 2 GMs were.

Jets79 and bicketybam like this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

The problem with the awards is they reward a player for having one good game. You can have one or two good games and 10 terrible ones and bag an award or two, but that doesn't mean you're a good player. Which is what's happened in our case.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sheldon Richardson was a very good pick, albeit probably under heavy pressure from Rex - who loved that type of player.

Geno went 8-8 his rookie year with a cap-depleted roster that had less talent on it than the 6-10 disaster the year before.

None of this is to say that Idzik was a good GM but his first year was definitely better than Douglas and it's looking like his 2nd year will be also, as pitiful as his 2nd year was.

Douglas has presided over a rolling disaster over the last two years. There's no reason to think next year will be better.

People who think that the price we've paid over the last two years is what rebuilding teams pay don't understand the dynamics in play. The price we've paid over the last two years is what talentless last place teams pay. We'll go for 3-in-a-row next year and odds are we'll make it because that's what talentless last place teams do.

ConcordeChops and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

I'm getting the impression that the Jets have been so bad for so long that people don't remember what a good front office looks like. If Douglas pulled this crap several years ago, he's have been run out of town on a rail by now.

13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Spot on.

Same issue with draft picks. It's been so long since we drafted an absolute stud that lots of our fans consider decent guys studs. See: Becton, AVT etc.

Pepsiguy5 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I thought and still think that Idzik's ideas were basically right. The execution was poor and he just couldn't draft at all. Douglas has drafted far better. No guarantees but I'd rather see the process through than reset again and go through another cycle of competitive rebuilds.

Jets79 and KingRoach like this.
  15. Br4d

The value that Idzik could have brought to the Jets was unrealized due to the fact that he either couldn't convince people to join him or he was not allowed to clean house when he came in and there were no openings available.

What he offered the Jets was experience at 3 or 4 successful teams that had won a Super Bowl. He knew a lot of people in the NFL - the kind of people the Jets did not otherwise have access too because the ownership was not well-respected in league circles.

Somehow he either failed to convince people to come and help change the culture at the Jets or he was prevented from doing this as a condition of the hire.

16. twown

twown Well-Known Member

It's ok. We know you're not the sharpest guy. We keep you around for your sunny attitude.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Did you miss the ...His record is really 5-25.! I mean that is not poor, its bad.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I once had a TGG post published in AV Club. Eat me.

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He was told to keep Rex. That was the same offseason Reid was available, but KC scooped him up fairly quickly.

Imagine if Rex and Tannenbaum got the boot together and Reid was brought in. That would've given us instant credibility.

Jets79 and Br4d like this.
  20. Br4d

Keeping Rex wasn't the problem.

Keeping Bradway and the Jet's personnel department was the problem.

Rex might have worked out or not over the next few seasons.

Bradway and the personnel people were always on the way out the door and keeping them for 2013 and 2014 wrecked Idzik. Huge cost there.