Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 12, 2021.

1. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

. . . or side deals that avoid the cap from the weasely owner, and preferential treatment on the field.

abyzmul and Jets79 like this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Douglas is 5-25 in my mind. I didn't hold 2019 against him because he was hired after free agency and the draft.

I do put both 2020 and 2021 firmly in his column in the ledger and that's a really bad place to start out.

Most GM's that have the kind of start Douglas has had have nothing much better coming down the road.

ouchy, HomeoftheJets and Cman68 like this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

No doubt Pats supporting cast is good, but I think that if 49ers got Mac with their 3d pick as was rumored, he would have beat out Jimmy G, and would be starting for them, helping to win few more games. He is doing some good things - and with all the cast, he is still a rookie. Even if he becomes a better version of Pennington without injuries, that's a solid FQB it will not be easy for us to deal with for next 15 years.

4. Br4d

Chad was very under rated even by Jets fans. Without the injuries I think he'd have been as good as Brady, albeit in a different way.

When Chad retired he had the highest all-time career completion percentage. The only QB active during Chad's career who wound up with a higher completion percentage was Drew Brees and he didn't catch up to Chad until 2017 or so.

#184 Br4d, Dec 24, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    twown likes this.
  5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Yes I agree, not that it has anything to do with my comment regarding the GM position.

He's responsible for fixing the mess he inherited, no doubt. Sometimes things get worse before they get better. You see it all the time in sports. In order to make an omelette you need to break a few eggs. The roster he inherited was garbage as so was the coaching situation. Rome wasn't built in a day. Based on what he inherited I am willing to give him 4 years to get it done. Obviously, you and anyone else can have a differing opinion.

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The bottom line is Joe said he believes that games are won at the LOS from both sides of the ball. Unless he drafts OL and DL next year, I don’t see that philosophy working out, the jets are getting manhandled at the LOS every game.

Brook!, twown, Acad23 and 1 other person like this.
  7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

It’s a risk when your 2 starting Edge never take a snap in the regular season.

Brook! and bicketybam like this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Is Joe D a Bust ? (too?)

Lotsa promises ..eg fix that OL :eek:

Instead he impressed us with the Draft wheeling and dealing but getting Carter and a handful of other semi decent players hardly cuts it imo. Wilson has 3 question marks for a Grade so far. JD Vert cool at spinning the wheels and the story all the way to his fat check

Where is the Journey going Mr. Joe??

9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Shows that edge rusher is a position that needs to be addressed in the draft. Good ones almost never become FA's.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  10. Br4d

He's has to use the off-season to build a team. Building a roster will always fail because the NFL takes the best rosters and cuts them to shreds if the luck is bad. You can't tear a team to shreds.

11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

interesting take......

certainly a good QB BUT would u have had faith in bradway and edwards to build and sustain a OL fortress around him so he could succeed without injury.

not sure. bradways best draft was in 2001 with moss, mackenzie and jordan. major downhill after that.

Brook! and Br4d like this.
  12. Br4d

I didn't like Terry Bradway's talent evaluation or use of the picks he had.

I felt he was uncertain of his ability to pick in the mid to late rounds so he treated those picks as disposable. In truth everybody is uncertain of their ability to pick in the mid rounds which is why you try to make as many picks as possible, so you hit some alongside the misses.

I also didn't like the way he valued the people he took, particularly the trade ups. It felt like he fell in love with his picks and could not see their flaws, beforehand when he might have saved value and after when he might have recovered more value sooner.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

One thing you have to give Douglas is that even in his short time as GM he is already the best trade negotiator the Jets have had. Hell, Tannenbaum was a contract lawyer and couldn't hold a candle to this guy.

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Jets GM Joe Douglas Trades, 2019-2021
    Year Outgoing players To Team
    2019 CB Parry Nickerson Seattle
    2019 DT Leonard Williams New York Giants
    2020 S Jamal Adams Seattle
    2020 DT Steve McLendon Tampa Bay
    2020 DE Jordan Willis San Francisco
    2020 LB Avery Williamson Pittsburgh
    2021 QB Sam Darnold Carolina
    2021 TE Chris Herndon Minnesota

Year Incoming players From Team
    2019 G Alex Lewis Baltimore
    2019 CB Nate Hairston Indianapolis
    2019 WR Demaryius Thomas New England
    2020 S Bradley McDougald Seattle
    2020 CB Quincy Wilson Indianapolis
    2021 DE Shaq Lawson Houston
    2021 QB Joe Flacco Philadelphia

15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

This is fair. Also, remember he has a rookie HC, rookie OC and rookie DC this year along with a rookie QB.

Since his 2021 draft was a success, I won't fully judge him next year either. Willing to give him another year and won't expect immediate results in 2022 either.

But if 2023 season is another loss, good bye Joe.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You know what the screaming troops say when the bombs start falling ? >>>"Incoming!!!"

You could argue that list of 7 ,less injured Lawson, coming here were Bombs too..smh

17. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

And this is exactly right. It's a regular complaint on here that the roster is worse now than it was when he came in. And that is true at face value. But (nearly) all the bad vet FA contracts have gone and been replaced by draft picks. It wasn't an attempt at being competitive nor was it meant to be. Of course the team is worse. He is rebuilding from the foundations. It takes time and you've got to knock the old building down first to start anew. We still aren't out of the ground in construction terms. Next season we should be and you should be able to see it on the field. The following year, if he's done it right, the team should really begin to take on shape.

18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Instead of Br4d, you should have called yourself Ih8Br4dway or Br4dwayisAsi9 or Br4dway2Dumb. Something like that.

Jets79 and Br4d like this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I could be missing some sarcasm here but his original nick before he shortened it was Br4dw4y5ux

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

People could have said the exact same thing about Idzik after his second year.