Jets trading for Joe Flacco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Oct 25, 2021.

1. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I like the move. We can play “why didn’t we” for eternity. The bottom line is, you have to make business decisions based on the current state of your business. It would have been better to have had a vet in here from Day 1 … but we didn’t. I’m glad we have one now. And I’m not concerned about losing a 5th if that’s what the cost is. We may have 4 picks in the top 42. If that’s not good enough, then just close the doors.

dmw, Mogriffjr and barfolomew like this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Lol it's no shocker this forum is freaking out over a 6th round pick trade for a veteran stop gap who is familiar with a similar style offense and verbiage

Do I love the move? No. But it was a logical move to sign a guy quickly without a huge learning curve for a couple weeks

3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Jets fans: we need a Vet QB in the roster
    Also Jets fans: but not THAT SB winning Vet

Jets fans: we can’t draft for shit
    Also Jets fans: I can’t believe we just traded away a valuable 6th rd pick for no good reason

Jets fans: We are a young team and won’t be winning anything this year
    Also Jets fans: After 6 games, I’ve seen enough; fire everyone

The Jets may or may not have the worst ownership in the NFL but they definitely have the worst fans

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's why I fit right in here...

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

LOL this is the most accurate post on here in a long time!

I swear, this is EXACTLY how I feel reading this board.

barfolomew likes this.
  6. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure if you look up the definition of bipolar, its shows the entire Jets fanbase

Falco21 and barfolomew like this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

That's an interesting perspective. Maybe this was a compromise between Saleh and JD to see if LaFleur is really THAT bad or if Wilson just can't execute yet. If the offense is still anemic with Flacco then LaFleur will have no one to blame.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He's sitting on the bench in Philly and not playing. He wants to play. Starting a few games here is better than not getting to play at all. Flacco hasn't been good in years. He's lucky to still have a contract to play anywhere. He has no leverage whatsoever, even if he is a veteran.

You could be right about the Jets giving him some kind of incentive, but if so, I think it may have been financial. I don't think there's any chance they guaranteed him to start a certain number of games. There's no way the CS isn't going to start Wilson when he's healthy. If they were to do that. They should be fired on the spot.

Zach has made rookie mistakes and been learning, but he has been handicapped by an incompetent OC. He is the future. Starting Flacco would not benefit the team in any way, shape, or form. The only way it could is if there was pressure on them from the Johnsons to win, and they thought Flacco could produce a couple of wins that Zach couldn't. Thankfully, there is no such mandate to win a certain number of games this year, thus it would hurt Zach's and the offense's development, and only serve to hurt draft position.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Flacco was absolute terrible signing in 2020, was worst veteran mentor and backup, and it showed.

So we let him go, don’t sign a vet, start a rookie who is not ready behind a shaky line, and he predictably gets hurt.
    We have no backup plan (Morgan wasted pick, why sign White, no veteran), so forfeit a potential 5th round pick to reaquire 2020’s mistake?

yeah this is the worst QB mgmt I’ve seen on this team, and that’s saying a lot.

I’m no longer on the fence, JD has no idea what he is doing.
    He needs to go ASAP.

#169 BacktoQueens, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  10. NCJetsfan

Who was that decent 3rd stringer that they could/should have signed? The two most obvious QBs were Beathard and Mullens. Both were available, and LaFleur and Saleh knew them from SF, but had zero interest in signing them. I think the Jets didn't want to have to carry 3 QBs, they liked White, and they thought that they wouldn't need a 3rd string QB, but if so, their plan was to keep Morgan on the PS. Morgan crossed that up when he signed with the Panthers instead.

I wish that they would have just rolled with White and Johnson, but evidently, they don't feel that Johnson is even good enough to potentially see the field, or had some other reason for bringing Flacco back. I also remember reading that the Jets had wanted to re-sign Flacco, but he signed with Philly early.

11. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

If our offense looks significantly better with Flacco at the helm--I'm going to make a VERY early call on my opinion on Zach Wilson.

I'll be very bullish on my opinion of him not being cut out for the NFL

jets_fan and James Hasty like this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Flacco. The only point I was making is that if we wanted a veteran back-up like Flacco, just sign Flacco in the first place, who was already a Jet living here. Instead we end up spending a 6th round pick to get him back. Obviously the thinking of JD has changed where he now feels we need a veteran with credentials on the team. That move, which would have not cost a 6th pick a few months before, now does.

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We have to see how Zach looks when he comes back. And also, don't forget, he is a rookie. Last year Flacco looked better than Sam, who was in his 3d year, and that was telling. If Flacco looks better than Zach in his rookie year, it does not mean Zach is a bust at all. It means he is a rookie, who needs to learn. I do think Zach will have a better second half of the year than he did first after he comes back. Hopefully Flacco will help by sharing his experience. I think given where he is in his career, he must understand he is not a starter any longer and is more of a mentor back-up. This may not have been the case last year as he was not far removed from his starting days, but it has been another year, and hopefully there is no more ambiguity as far as what value he brings to the team.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Again, supposedly, the Jets were going to sign Flacco, but he signed with Philly very early, so they were unable to sign him. A backup QB (2nd or 3rd string) was not a high priority in FA, nor should it have been. Once Flacco signed with the Eagles, the Jets thought Morgan and White would be fine.

15. NCJetsfan

And you'll be wrong

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Fun fact: Joe Flacco has more career passing yards than Joe Montana.

James Hasty likes this.
  17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

It’s a late round pick that Douglas will waste on some injured Cam Clark-a-like. At least I can laugh at Flacco’s gunslinging interceptions for the next 4 weeks.

18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

probably should pin this post to the top of the forum. Bravo.

19. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen this team do, and a complete admission that they screwed up by not having a veteran available to step in if Wilson got hurt or struggled too much.

A veteran could have been with this team through training camp and the early part of the season. He would already know the offense.

Added to this, we won't see what Mike White can do, and we've lost a draft asset - a minor one, but still.

Edit: From what I'm reading White will start at least this week, so that's something.

#179 ukjetsfan, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    IDFjet and James Hasty like this.
  20. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Also, I think the back-up QB position is woefully neglected, not just on this team but on many in the league now. It's almost like the last thing people think about, when it can be vitally important if your starter goes down. Every year we see guys brought in on one-year deals and then allowed to leave, so we never have someone who's been there a while and really knows the job. When O'Brien used to struggle or get hurt, we had Pat Ryan and he could do a capable job for a half or a game or a couple of weeks. Now we have a different guy every year.