Jets trading for Joe Flacco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Oct 25, 2021.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This makes no sense. If I said Flacco was a bad option then Douglas traded for Flacco… then on what planet did Douglas do exactly what I asked for? This is like saying we need a CB so we should be happy that Douglas traded for Kyle Wilson.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You wanted a SPECIFIC vet? Who? Rogers? Mahomes?

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

because we didn't need him. if wilson is healthy the backup never sees a meaningful snap. you don't have to make a "what if" move when you are a rebuilding team who just picked 2nd overall and likely picking top 10 if not top 5 again

4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine Flacco not having some say about this trade being a veteran of N years. What makes no sense to me is him coming here to start 2-4 games and then go to the bench for the rest of the year. He's already done that gig here with Darnold. I feel the Jets had to put something on the table to get him to agree to the trade and that something is him finishing the season at QB. Adding to that equation is Zach hasn't exactly lit it up as starting QB. A lot was made of him going back to Utah to get help but whatever help he got didn't show up on Sunday by a long shot. All I know is that if I was Flacco, I wouldn't return here just to start a few games. I do agree Wilson should be starting, but maybe the CS feels he's in over his head right now and needs to sit and watch a vet. It worked for Mahomes. However, I admit this is just pure speculation on my part and I could be wrong.

5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

We need the 6th rd. pick more than we need Flacco IMO. I hate this move.

6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Maybe they're also bringing him here to help LaFleur figure out how to run an offense.

Or maybe they'll let him call his own plays as an OC audition.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We came into the season with a rookie quarterback and the worst backup in the NFL who has never taken a NFL snap himself. That's inexcusable and defending it is just silly.

papapump, tomdeb, Acad23 and 3 others like this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This isn’t even worth a response but like an idiot I’ll take the bait. For the fifth time…. A vet that can run this offense rather than someone who will be learning it.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Either do nothing because wins are only going to hurt draft position or sign Newton so you don't have to give up a pick. Trading for Flacco is pointless unless you're trying to win a game to bullshit a low IQ owner into not firing you.

REVISion, King Koopa and IDFjet like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

We might be the only team in the league that came into the year who did not have a quarterback on the roster or in camp that's taken a NFL snap.

11. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

This seems like a panic move to me. But it could be just to get somebody behind mike white

James Hasty and IDFjet like this.
  12. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I doubt that we're giving up draft capital to have someone come in here and back up the guy who, until yesterday, had never seen action in an NFL game.

My only question is why can't Josh Johnson serve this role. I mean, even if he plays terribly, he'll fit right in with what we've been doing anyway.

IDFjet likes this.
  13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

By that logic no team ever needs a backup QB…until they do

If the Jets weren’t comfortable with MW or JJ, then they should have signed a backup they were comfortable with.

Trading a pick for a different backup QB as soon as you lose your starting QB for a few games makes the Jets look like the clown franchise they are

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

So does Flacco count as a diversity hire?

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Who is that magical QB Zach should be learning this offense from, who is better than Flacco?

16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Actually it’s a good move - just having flacco around should rub a little off onto Wilson….

I thought Newton was a possibility but Wilson doesn’t need a tutorial on fashion.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

He is rather ugly. Does that count? I know in LA it usually does.

Acad23 likes this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I would stick with White too. Honestly I am surprised JD made this move. Though I don't think JD wants to tank this year, he wants young guys to win a few games. I just don't know if Flacco helps that. Zach is out 3 games. Let's see what we got from White, and then Zach will be back. It also hurts that we could have probably had Flacco earlier without spending 6th rounder. To me the only way this move makes a tiny bit of sense is if coaches now feel White sucks. That means you wasted a 4th rounder before on Morgan and now spent a 6th rounder for a 1 year back-up, recognizing you made a mistake with White. But then we are not going anywhere this year, so why spend a pick? Either way, it just not a great outcome, but we are taking about a 6th round pick here - not a huge price to pay, albeit a waste IMO. Not large, but a waste nevertheless.

19. Vida

Vida Active Member

Why??? Not like we're making playoffs (playoffs!!??!) Just tank the season away again why trade an asset even one as low as a 5th/6th, whats the point?

IDFjet, REVISion and Borat like this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Having a Superbowl winning QB on the roster can't hurt Zach. Let him see how he operates. Getting him this late is not I guess better late than never.

I did not realize this was the offense he played in with Baltimore.

jilozzo likes this.