Jets trading for Joe Flacco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Well said. I like Joe D. I am still very hopeful of him and Saleh. Hope he can survive this storm.

2. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

If Douglas is in the business now of correcting past mistakes, maybe the next move we're going to make is ponying up a 3rd rounder for Robby Anderson.

JetDan and Cman68 like this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He will cost next to nothing to the Jets since Philly paid his 2.5 mil signing bonus. He will end up costing us like 600K. It's the 6th rounder that's a real loss here.

ouchy and James Hasty like this.
  4. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

This move is sad/funny at the same time. Its definitely needed- I don't mind giving up the 5th or 6th round pick

Its more egg on the face of Joe D- at-least he admitted to his mistake. Most fans thought we should have a veteran backup QB going into the season. We were sold on Mike White being a competent back up-which we'll see if that pans out.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say he did OK, he looked pretty bad actually, but still... Given we gave away 4th rounder Morgan, didn't sign a back-up initially (which wouldn't have cost a pick), I would like to see Mike given reps with starters, and actually start a game. It's almost like JD watched NE game and pretty much gave up on White. Otherwise I really don't understand this move.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I would be really surprised if Mike White did not start against the Bengals. He should be given a chance, otherwise, it makes Joe Douglas look even worse. If Flacco shows up Wednesday, and starts Sunday, that would look really bad for Mike White, Josh Johnson, and worst of all: Joe Douglas.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why would the Jets do that? Flacco wasn't playing in Philly, why would he have the leverage to get assurances that he'd start here the rest of the year? It makes no sense to me why the Jets would sit Wilson the rest of the year. There's not that much he would learn from Flacco, and that would serve to undermine Zach's confidence and reps with his receivers. It would be like he was injured and couldn't play the rest of the season. It would waste the rest of his rookie season. If that's the plan, then they all should be fired now.

Borat and James Hasty like this.
  8. jets_fan

Considering the low bar of play we've had from the QB position this year, I'd say he did OK. He threw a TD pass and, at times ,had the offense moving, which isn't something we can say was happening on a consistent basis this season. Is he the answer at QB? Probably not. Does he have the raw talent of the guy he replaced? No. But did he do enough to earn the chance to start next week when the only other option is a guy who quite literally just got here? Yes.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't see it as JD admitting he made a mistake. Some of you guys are just reaching for anything to try to criticize JD. They had Mike White, with whom they were happy to back up Zach. They've had Josh Johnson on the PS in case of an emergency, but obviously don't feel comfortable with playing him. I believe that White will continue to start while Zach is out, unless he plays badly, and Flacco will be the backup. Johnson probably gets released.

Borat likes this.
  10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

How does this make any sense AT ALL? Hey Eagles if Wilson gets hurt you can have one of our draft picks….instead of just signing him from the start? Huh?

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Like when Brett Farve told Schottenheimer…Yeah, I’m not running that!

Ralebird and REVISion like this.
  12. Red Menace

There is no way they are trading for a veteran like Flacco and not starting him. This CS likes to keep people in their roles, Flacco is going to start and White will go back to being the backup.

westiedog1 likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That is a decent theory. Basically we have a back-up in White, but need a competent back-up for him (a good 3d stringer), since Mike is now a starter. Still though, if that is the thought, why not spend a few mil to get a decent 3d stringer in the first place during offseason? I mean Zach is only out for 3 games. That would have saved a 6th round pick now. No matter how you slice it, the 6th rounder could have been saved with better planning. I don't think it is a major mistake, since we are talking about a 6th rounder here, but it would have been nice not to have to part with it.

#133 Borat, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    REVISion likes this.
  14. Red Menace

This is a save jobs move, no way anyone on this CS would have been safe if Jets ended 1-16.

Flacco will help Jets win some games and Saleh and Lafleur will be able to save face.

15. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Idk about this one, on the one hand, I’m glad we have a veteran backup. On the other hand, are we sure he even wants to mentor Wilson?

16. King Koopa

Exactly how I feel.

I was actually fine with going Mike White/ JJ…Sure it was bizarre but OK they must like Mike White and/or agree that a Flacco type QB isn’t going to do much if Wilson were to get hurt.

Now they immediately change course and give up draft capital in the process when Wilson gets banged up to do what everyone was saying they should have done to begin with.

It’s not so much the move of a late round pick for Flacco in a vacuum, it’s the fact that a move like this tells me they have no clue what they’re doing or are panicking….And neither is good

REVISion, James Hasty and jets_fan like this.
  17. King Koopa

He might help the Jets look a little better but we’re not beating any of these teams coming up with or without Flacco, sorry to say

18. jets_fan

Sadly, it's probably a little bit of both.

King Koopa likes this.
  19. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

This move is not what it seems to be.

This move is Joe Douglas sending a f*ck you message to Mike Lafleur and his system over talent BS approach.

Lafleur / Saleh have benched Mims for BS reasons. Flacco knew how to involve Mims.

Douglas is sending a message that he's in charge.

I hope the Johnson's green light Douglas giving Saleh an ultimatum ... fire Lafleur, or you're gone too.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Just saw this news. I guess I shouldn't be surprised at this point. Clueless owners keep hiring clueless people to lead this franchise. Sadly I don't think it's gonna change in the near future. This is just another bizarre chapter in the history of this total trainweck.