Jets trading for Joe Flacco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We could have Deshaun Watson under center and it wouldn't matter... not when we're giving up 30 points per game... :confused:

cval likes this.
  2. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

Completely agree with your point that this gives everyone a better chance…reason it’s also a panic move is because JD/Saleh and their staffs already had to have had those discussions, made a plan to do what they did and, as Mike Tyson used to say, abandoned the plan after taking the first direct punch to the face

RochesterJet, Cman68 and Acad23 like this.
  3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Fine with this, but what the hell was the reluctance to add a veteran backup during the offseason? Why not just resign Flacco or someone similar in the offseason? Really weird management of QB2 to me. And not for nothing, but Mike White wasn't too good though not a total disaster either.

4. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Totally agree... they boxed themselves into a corner with their decision to by pass a Vet. I had hoped that we have finally got the CS right but it looks like they are on par with last years bad CS and with this latest debacle resemble a "ship of fools."

I stop listening to the HC pressers weeks ago when the same excuses were used for another bad performance. IMHO, an I wanted him, he is fast, as in very fast, becoming the latest example of coaches who fit the mold of "Peter's Principle."

having said that, for shits and giggles, I listen to the DC and he said there were things that NE did in the running game that they couldn't A-line with! Say what... you had 10 days to prepare and that is what you say.... oh yea, he also said he got to call better plays. Ya think after 50+ points. Another incompetent that is reminiscent of Todd's DC... Glad I watch the Packers play too!

5. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Should have just been kept last year.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The failure to have a veteran QB on the roster with a rookie starting and a new offensive scheme being installed was just bizarre.

More than anything else it speaks to JD falling in love with ZW and being completely blind to his potential flaws as he hit the field for the first time.

Nothing that we have seen out of ZW so far is unexpected. Most of it is the most probable result given what we collectively knew about ZW coming in the door. This makes JD's failure to secure adequate backup protection for his rookie QB really actionable. It was not shooting yourself in the foot bad it was blowing off all your toes with a shotgun bad.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Jets fans make no sense. This is a good move. It's Joe Douglas admitting a mistake he made by not having a solid veteran back-up for Zach Wilson. Now he does, but it cost him a 6th round pick. There is still 11 games left in the season, and likely 7-9 of them with Zach. I like it. The Jets have plenty of draft picks too. It's fine.

Borat likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

because we weren't a team who was going to the playoffs so we didn't need an in case of something happening. now it happened we can get someone. If it didn't happen we wouldn't have needed it.

or it was the plan all along. JD has ties to the eagles. This happened fast. I'm sure he had something in place like if zach gets hurt would you trade flacco

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

During the off season there were so many QBs that we could have signed.

But no we didn't do that.

Now after trading up for Darnold we dump him and use yet even more draft capital on another QB we couldn't hope to develop or protect.

Now that we have gotten our new toy injured we waste even more draft capital on an aging fossil that we already had.

Our owner and GM are clearly trash at this point.

Our coaches may have upside but they have zero experience and are being outclassed by teams with better coaches and players.

We need Parcells 2.0.

Find someone with skills and experience and give them the keys to rebuild this team hoe they see fit without meddling from owners.

There has got to be someone out there with enough of an ego to take this bull by the horns.

10. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

It's beyond ridiculous is what it is. Now we have to part with draft capital to get something that we should have had on the roster since March.

If they thought that this move would make them look better after the debacle that yesterday was, they're very sorely mistaken. Each day they just prove themselves to be more and more incompetent.

11. The Dark Knight

You know, when you put it like that, it doesn't sound good. :D:confused:

Pepsiguy5 and James Hasty like this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The way I see the Jet's management team right now is that they're on a slippery slope and things are snowballing on them in a hurry.

The facts are that they were going to get a QB from somewhere after ZW got injured. They made the second-most conservative move they could have made given that situation. #1 would have been just activating Josh Johnson. #2 was trading a late pick for Flacco.

Now we're all in a situation where nothing about the status quo has changed until ZW comes back in 2 to 4 weeks. This means that if he comes back and plays poorly, as he was before getting hurt, the Jets are still in a deep pit heading into 2022.

I would have made a move with more upside right now to give the status quo a bit of a jostle. If the guy I brought in wasn't a big improvement over ZW then we're still in that deep pit. However he could have been an improvement and either he or ZW could have paid off on the off-chance they might improve over time. If the guy was an improvement over ZW, well that creates a better conundrum for the Jets moving forward.

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Plus we could have had a choice beyond old bones Flacco who isn't exactly coming cheap at 3 million.

James Hasty and jets_fan like this.
  14. jets_fan

Exactly. Even still, if Flacco was the guy they wanted, I wouldn't even upset if they had to spend that money in March to get him if they thought he was a worthwhile addition to the team in order to help Zach develop and be there as a safety net in case of struggles and/or injury.

But, they clearly didn't value him at that then, when it would have been better to do so. Now they're sending up the smoke signal that they no longer trust their own plan and are panicking. Despite the fact that Flacco will probably play better than Mike White, I'd almost feel better if White were continuing on as the starter until Wilson returned. It would show confidence, however misguided, in the plan that had been put in place. Now it looks like they're bending to outside pressure because they're afraid of losing their jobs. In other words, we're already coaching scared and we're not even halfway through the season yet.

REVISion, James Hasty and ouchy like this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Yes I agree with that.

IMO Flacco was barely better than Darnold last season. I'm not sure Mike White isn't better than him. Flacco just has more experience.

16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Agreed. This is a clear sign panic is beginning to set in.

JD was overly disciplined until now and his values are beginning to get thrown out the window. Short term desperation moves are usually the beginning of the end.

17. The Dark Knight

Right, but we all agree the Jets should have signed a veteran QB for Zach. They did not. Now, Joe Douglas has corrected his error, and people are upset? I don't get that part. This team is still building for the future, even though most of us feel the season is over at (1-5) right now and Zach injured. Flacco can help the rest of the season. The goal should still be to succeed and finish strong headed into 2022. I'd rather correct a mistake than continue to stumble through the season with a stubborn strategy that did not work.

18. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

We needed a veteran QB though. I mean, the choice was basically him or Foles. I would have preferred Foles but Flacco does make sense as he at least has connection with the team from last year. In terms of bringing in a veteran, it's not like we were going to get Rogers or Mahomes.

19. jets_fan

At this point, I want to know what we have in Mike White. He did OK after being thrust into the spotlight for the first time. I want to see if he can build on it.

NY Jets68, ouchy and Borat like this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I personally would have liked to see more Mike White, given reps with starters in practice, start a game, etc... And maybe we still will. Perhaps now this is insurance in case Mike sucks, which there is a decent chance of if last game is any indication. But more than anything I think this is admission of a mistake, and ponying up a 6th rounder for it. Is it a bad mistake? Losing 6th rounder is not great, but so far in spite of losing 6th rounder for nothing, JD is still ahead of the curve when it comes to dealing picks.