Jets trade for Shaq Lawson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You're misinterpreting something I said.

I said "If Saleh isn't willing to build from scratch he is very likely to fail."

You misread that I think.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're right I did. Sorry. :oops: That clarifies things - not that I agree with you, but at least you're consistent as well as persistent.;)

Br4d likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I made a decision not long ago that it is really not worth it to agonize over the Jets doing it my perfect way. I had a similar hope to yours before free agency started and that all went out the window.

Well, not all of it. Just the picture perfect strip and rebuild that would put them on my right track to being a perennial contender that writes its championship history over decades.

I gave up that hope with this ownership, so now I'm just going to enjoy when they accidentally do the right thing. And lately that has been a lot, even with the hiccups.

I can only take the Jets for what they're worth, it's less of a headache.

4. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

The move is a good one, can’t develop young players when those players are borderline NFL caliber. Let’s not fool ourselves, we do not have a legit edge on this team. Shaq at least had the talent, as he had flashed. Not saying someone couldn’t overachieve and surprise, but let’s call it what it is. JD and Salah know it, that’s why they made the move. Shaq has the pedigree, as he was 19th pick, and was beast at Clemson that won national championship, Hope for best. I think more moves to follow. Personally tired of watching Jordan Jenkins, Daron Lee, Luvu, etc. on the edge, they leave the jets, they cannot lock on with other teams…. Our pass rush has been non existent for years with these marginal players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#124 Sack exchange, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    Jets81, FJF, NCJetsfan and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

Jenkins is on Texans and luvu is a panther

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

He is a vested veteran so would have been a FA. Had they cut him Jets would have been competing with all 31 teams, not that all would have been trying to sign him.They also would not have gotten the benefit of the cap friendly contract for this season.

7. Sack exchange

True. Don’t get me wrong, I liked Jenkins and luvu for what they are, they are not starting material. Role players, and bottom of roster types. Well they were starters for the jets. My point is we had miserable pass rush for last like 5-8 years, and with marginal edge players, that are not starters on other teams.

Mr mittens likes this.
  8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

1 poster thinks this guy is really good.

Pretty much everyone else see’s it as improving the roster at very low cost.

FJF and Noam like this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Yea but that one guy has posted more words about him than everyone else combined.

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Shaq seems to be happy to be here! Hopefully that translates to some sacks!

11. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

ColoradoContrails, Jets81 and Noam like this.
  12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

To put things in perspective, Jordan Jenkins beat out Shaq Lawson for his spot in Houston.
    I’d say he’s a better player at this point.

Trading for Lawson was born out of necessity due to lack of depth.
    It’s a low risk move, but it’s also very low reward. It’s a bare minimum move.
    Hard to get too upset or excited by it.
    Our pass rush gonna be terrible, and our secondary picked apart.

ouchy likes this.
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

Exactly.

And in 2019 with Buffalo's top 3 Defense he also recorded 28 QB pressures with 18 QB hits and last year for Miami he recorded 25 QB pressursa and 18 QB hits.

Throughout his previous two seasons with Buffalo/Miami this man has a combined total of 36 QB hits and 53 QB pressures (with the same exact amount of QB sacks as Carl Lawson, 10.5).

But yet some fans are trying to tell us how he's not really good at rushing the QB while distributing plays?

▪︎ Those QB hits and QB pressures are going to translate into monster sack numbers this year @ DE for Shaq Lawson and that's because he's going to FEAST as Quinnen Williams dominates by collapsing the interior @ DT.

Yes Carl Lawson had 67 QB Pressures and Shaq Lawson had 53 QB pressures throughout the previous two years combined but the biggest difference that no ones talking about?

Shaq Lawson is better against the run than Carl Lawson is (who over pursues as a pass rusher and gets GASHED against the run).

Shaq Lawson = 64 Tackles (38 solo tackles) and 17 tackles for loss throughout the previous two seasons combined.

Carl Lawson = 59 Tackles (35 solo tackles) and 10 tackles for loss throughout the previous two seasons combined).

But yet no one wants to talk about this?

Pags2112 and RochesterJet like this.
  15. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Chin up man! For once the Jets are heading in the right direction from a leadership prospective. With a rookie QB and young defense, we will have some growing pains. Temper the expectations. I think the Jets will be fun to watch this year, unlike the past two seasons.

The bolded is an assumption though and a lot of factors go into this. From the his twitter account, Shaq appeared to be disenfranchised with the prospects of playing for the Texans. Jordan Jenkins is a workman like edge, but he is not as good as Lawson.
    Low risk, high reward potential and...the Texans are paying most of his salary this year. My hope is Shaq finds some football purpose again and relishes the opportunity to get after the Bills and the Phish.
    Maybe we have the the firm of Lawson & Lawson bookending the DL next year??

Pags2112 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Sack exchange

Jordan Jenkins is horrible! Not a threat in pass rush. We watched it for many years! He disappeared when on the field for most part. I believe you will at least know Lawson is on the field.

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm more excited about Shaq Lawson than I was about Carl Lawson (who I was fired up for) because unlike Carl Lawson; Shaq Lawson has shown an ability to impact on top ranked Defenses (while Carl Lawson has pass rushed during nothing but garbage time).

Carl Lawson:
    2017: 7-9.
    2018: 4-3.
    2019: 2-10.
    2020: 4-11-1.

2017-2020 = 17-33-1 (.333%).

2017: Bengals = 18th ranked Defense (30th vs. the run).

2018: Bengals = 32nd ranked Defense (29th vs. the run).

2019: Bengals = 29th ranked Defense (32nd vs. the run).

2020: Bengals = 26th ranked Defense (29th vs. the run).

All of that, to say this.

No. Carl Lawson's injury never ended the Jets season before it started (as so many fans are claiming) because Carl Lawson doesn't make or break a Defense and he definitely doesn't help his teams in run Defense either.

Shaq Lawson actually brings us winning experience at DE (which shouldn't be overlooked) and he wasn't out there recording empty stats over the previous two years either (as Carl Lawson was).

Yes. Shaq Lawson's statistics (BUF/MIA) are more impressive than Carl Lawson's (CINCY) production over the previous two seasons combined.

18. DefenseWinsChampionships

I agree but why was Jordan Jenkins name even mentioned within the same sentence as Shaq Lawson to begin with?

▪︎ Jordan Jenkins only had 29 QB pressures throughout his final two years as a Jet (1,102 snaps).

▪︎ Shaq Lawson has 53 QB pressures throughout his final two years as a BUF/MIA (1,055 snaps).

There's a difference and if fans are trying to compare Jordan Jenkins to Shaq Lawson they need their vision checked.

19. BacktoQueens

Jenkins isn't horrible at all.
    He's excellent at setting the edge, and had 8 and 7 sack seasons right before an injury riddled 2020.
    Not inspiring, but far from horrible.

Lawson has never even had a 7 sack year, and has never been a proficient pass rusher in this league.
    He's not bad against the run either though.

I wouldn't expect much from Lawson at all, unless he suddenly finds his pro game now on his 4th stop.

FJF likes this.
  20. BacktoQueens

I agree on the low risk aspect of Lawson.
    A 6th is a small price to pay for such a gaping hole. Had to do something.
    it's a 1 year deal tho, as his price tag not worth it beyond this year where the Texans are subsidizing it.

But Lawson has never been more than a workman like edge either, if that.
    I don't see this as having high reward potential, as he's never been a terribly effective player.
    There's always the chance i suppose Saleh can finally inspire a guy on his 4th stop.
    If people are expecting that, or much at all from this defense, they are going to end up being disappointed imo.