Jets trade for Shaq Lawson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Plus the Lawson bro's have cleared 6 sacks twice in their nine combined seasons.

FJF and abyzmul like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think Phillips ever had a roster spot. He is good vs the run, but with all the talent JD brought in, it's just a numbers thing. Zuniga hasn't done anything and been injured. He may not even go to the PS. Both Marshall and Rashed have shown potential, but we just don't have enough spaces to keep both of them on the roster, and they may not even be able to keep one of them. If one makes it, it may be Rashed because of our situation at edge and trying to generate a pass rush. With Q, Rankins, Fatukasi, Shepherd and perhaps JFM at times, we will get interior pressure. Marshall may not clear waivers and make it to the PS, but it may be a risk the Jets have to take.

Noam likes this.
  3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This is the kind of trade the Jets should be making at this stage of rebuild. It’s very little risk, low cost and it helps stabilize an extremely important position in Salehs D. It’s also someone that is very talented and could potentially blossom in a Saleh D.

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

It's more than just sack numbers when it comes to judging a pass rusher.

You didn't watch the coach Robert Saleh press conference as he was raving about Carl Lawson's ability to disrupt plays and make QBs feel uncomfortable?

Coach Saleh stated himself that it's not about sack numbers because if you go by sacks alone?

Even the greatest pass rushers of All-Time averaged less than 15 sacks per season; so does that mean even the All-Time great pass rushers only impacted the game less than 1 time per game?

Of course not.

Because it's all about disrupting plays and making QBs feel uncomfortable.

(I absolutely can not stand when fans point to sacks because if that's the case even the All-Time greats impacted the game less than 1x per game).

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he only counts a little over 1 mil this year against our cap
    he can be cut after this year with 0 dead money or we can keep him for 9.1 mil or try and negotiate down a salary like JD did with crowder

6. Jonathan_Vilma

The all time greats had no problem getting to double digit sacks multiple times in their career, so bringing them into the equation is nonsensical and does not help your article.

Carl Lawson has played in 51 games and has 20.0 career sacks. Shaq Lawson has played in 64 games and has half a sack more.

They're both fine, Carl Lawson's upside was the attractiveness of the player, rather than the past results. He looked like he was going to have a great season.

Great players close the deal more often than the ones that don't. Decent ones rely on high "pressure" rates to get paid.

ColoradoContrails and abyzmul like this.
  7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

So you're saying Carl Lawson is fat and that is strength is hidden production then?

FJF likes this.
  8. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm just saying that even double digit sacks is still less than 1 impactful play per game, isn't it?

I'm not calling either one of the Lawson's as great pass rushers. Neither one has been selected to an All-Pro team or even a single Pro Bowl but what I am saying is that sack numbers aren't what makes for All-Time great pass rushers; QB pressures do.

And if we're going to go by "just sacks" well then that means over the past two years Shaq Lawson has been better than Carl Lawson as a pass rusher.

Carl Lawson has 10.5 sacks after 1,180 Defensive plays.

Shaq Lawson has 10.5 sacks after 1,055 Defensive plays.

So are you telling me throughout the previous 2 years that Shaq Lawson has been better than Carl Lawson as a pass rusher? Because Shaq has the same amount of sacks as Carl and that's despite Shaq having played 125 fewer snaps.

Hopefully this shows you why sack numbers are skewed (in terms of judging a pass rushers ability).

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

No. What I am saying is that judging a pass rusher based off of "sack numbers" is a clueless way to judge a pass rushers impact on the game.

Carl Lawson has 10.5 sacks after 1,180 Defensive plays.

Shaq Lawson has 10.5 sacks after 1,055 Defensive plays.

Are you saying Shaq Lawson has been a better pass rusher than Carl Lawson throughout the previous two seasons combined?

Either way I'm A+ fired up about Joe Douglas stealing Shaq Lawson because he's going to feast more than ever before while playing under coach Robert Saleh and alongside of Quinnen Williams.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

You're trying to act as if sacks are mutually exclusive from players with good pressure rate numbers.

How many pass rushers rack up a fair amount of sacks and don't provide a good amount of pressure throughout the year? Especially on a yearly basis? I mean there's outlier cases where the Jordan Jenkins of the world close sacks because they're in the right place at the right time during a blitz or coverage sack.

Good to great pass rushers close sacks and create consistent pressure the times they do not close sacks.

And your point is somewhat correct at the bottom, Carl Lawson is a better player than Shaq Lawson. No one disputed that otherwise.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

What I also love about the trade is it will only cost us 990k in salary cap this year and 8.9 million if we keep him next year. We still get a huge rollover in cap for next year where we can invest it in our own players like Shaq if he does well or fill holes in FA with a guy like Scherff.

Borat likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We essentially traded Jordan Willis, who none of us could pick out of a lineup, for Shaq Lawson. I don't care too much about percentages and this and that and the other thing... that's a trade any GM in their right mind would make when you have close to no depth at DE.

And who is the last 6th round pick that gave any team competent depth at DE in their first year?

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting that according to the numbers we should have only paid Carl Lawson 10 million a year?

14. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I would keep Marshall over Rashed. Hope Rashed passes on to the PS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm going to try my best to explain this one more time and then I'm done with sack talk. Even the greatest pass rushers of All-Time failed to close out on sacks @ less than 1x per game.

Lawrence Taylor:
    184 games played.
    142 career sacks.
    0.7 sacks per game.

According to "sack numbers" Lawrence Taylor only closed out on sacks @ less than 1 x per game.

And suddenly you realize that sack numbers are overrated because Lawrence Taylor probably had over 500 QB pressures throughout his career and QB pressures is what makes great pass rushers; not "SACKS".

Aaron Donald 2018-2020:
    48 games.
    46.5 sacks.
    170 QB pressures.

Sacks are a nice stat but imo it's all about QB PRESSURE (rather than sack numbers). Because Aaron Donald has closed in on sacks at only 0.9x per game (less than 1 sack per game) but yet has caused 3.5 QB pressures per game.

Give me 3-4 QB pressures per game over less than 1 sack per game is what I'm preaching.

Noam likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand, and I agree that Marshall may be more talented than Rashed, but we need an edge rush.

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

What I'm saying is Carl Lawson is an excellent pass rusher because despite his low sack numbers he's still an awesome pass rusher based off of advanced statistics and coach Robert Saleh himself has already discussed the importance of Carl Lawson's ability to pressure QBs while distrusting QBs as being much more important than Qb sack numbers.

And I'm also saying that Shaq Lawson is much more impactful than his "sack numbers".

Borat and ouchy like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah, Lawrence Taylor is definitely relevant in a discussion that includes Shaq and Carl Lawson.

A lot of pass rushers and players in general that have lengthy careers generally have their overall statistics crushed if they have longevity. Especially in football where guys decline rapidly at the end of their career.

Why don't you take Taylor's peak four seasons and both Lawson's peak four seasons and compare them? Or perhaps use their first four and five (four for Carl Lawson, five for Shaq) and tell us all how it lines up.

No one is only using sack numbers to justify their position. The game tape and trajectory of their career speaks for themselves.

abyzmul likes this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Exactly - no one knows what Jordan even looks like, yet everyone knows Shaq. Welcome to the team!

[​IMG]

FJF likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

And on this note, I forgot to bring to you debunking PFF bullshit presented by Jonathan_Vilma.

Three elite pass rushers, two with an 80+ pass rushing grade. Hot damn, they must've had an elite defense!

abyzmul likes this.