Zach Wilson and "Rookie QB Containment" Thread!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PolygamyWinsChampionships, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Those 8 extra yards make a huge difference.

Brook! likes this.
  3. Losmeister

question...were their idiots on this forum who wanted JD to select Peni Sewell instead of QB?

4. legler82

This question makes me think Darnold’s progress should be tracked & discussed in here as well.

5. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I only recently figured out armpits are the sexiest feature of a woman. Sniff sniff (;

6. PolygamyWinsChampionships

Also just to put it in here for everyone since someone already asked. My old SN was 74Mangold. New team, new me, new jokes!

Probably just say PWC if you want to refer to me by name unless you want to make a polygamy/mormon joke out of it. Hadn’t really thought that far through when I came up with it yesterday.

#126 PolygamyWinsChampionships, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You on drugs, son?

Jets81, cval and The Dark Knight like this.
  8. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I thought it was a good first step. ZW made impressive throws on 3rd down, for sure. Nothing sailed, passes looked crisp, like they were thrown by a competent QB. Didn't see happy feet, stood calm in the pocket and didn't look to bail at the first sign of pressure...

Acad23 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Then we may as well discuss the merit of those who wanted to give up the equivalent of 9 first-round draft picks (in Jimmy Johnson value) for Deshaun Watson.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He impressed me with that last pass. He hung in to the very last second in order to deliver that pass. He also showed good velocity during his limited action.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Thank you for your permission in making polygamy/Mormon jokes. We would not want to offend anyone's lifestyle.

[​IMG]

abyzmul likes this.
  13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

My observations about Zach:

1. The velocity - I can't recall a Jet QB every making throws this hard. Those throws jumped out of his hand.
    2. Decisiveness and release - He makes the decision and bang the ball is gone. He has such a quick release it is beautiful to watch.
    3. He moved well in the pocket and seemed mostly aware of what was going around him. Although I felt watching him that he is still unsure of how much time he has and does not have a great feel for the NFL pocket yet. He seemed to be making sure that he gets the ball out quick. Although, the 3rd and 14 throw to Kroft it was very nice to see how calm he was in the pocket knowing he was going to get hit but still able to put so much velocity on the throw.
    4.He is still learning the offense and his receivers. A prime example is the 3rd down throw to Davis around the opponents 10 yard line. Davis decided to sit down between the two defenders and Zach expected him to keep running.
    5. The offense playcalling - When JD said Zach will not need to lift others up rather they will support him we can see it in the playcalling. With the strong emphasis on run 1st they really set things up well for Zach's play action. He did a nice job with his fakes.
    6. The offense will be better and have a different dimension with Moore there. He will add the Jet sweep, deep threat, screens and YAC that will make this offense even more dangerous.
    7. No deep passes. One thing we have seen in the off-season practices is a lot of deep shots by Zach. None on Saturday. I expect once Moore comes back they will take a few shots. But, I think they really wanted to set a tone on Saturday that this offense is about running the football and knocking people on the ground first which will only help toset up deep throws.

His comfort in the pocket will come with time as will his knowledge of the offense and communication with the WRs. My expectation is they will play continue to play things conservative and rely on their running game and defense and open things up more with Zach as the season progresses.

One can't make an judgments on ZW's future from this game but it was a solid start. What impresses me most was was the approach of the coaches to play things conservatively and protect Zach. While ZW is a great talent the patience and commitment of the CS to developing him slowly and methodically gives me confidence in his success.

#133 Noam, Aug 15, 2021
    Brook!, Acad23, cval and 6 others like this.
  14. legler82

Down the rabbit hole we go.

IDFjet likes this.
  15. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Agreed. The pessimist in me also says it better not be ground and pound to hide some sort of flaw? Zach looked fine though. Would have loved to have seen him tuck and run a bit but it’s pre season.

I think we have a good one. While people hype fields, he was running a lot and that’s not a good thing this early on. Every play felt like it broke down for him and that’s probably because he stares down his first read.

while it may not be ideal, for the pleasure of the fan, to have them sit vs GB we need Moore and AVT back before we open the playbook.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  16. PolygamyWinsChampionships

It’s not that I just would prefer everyone doesn’t call me polygamy everytime. I guess it’s whatever though.

also I quit smoking weed a while back so no drugs at all

17. PolygamyWinsChampionships

I’d be fine with any Darnold discussion in here as well. He’s another option in the what might have been discussion so I think that’s appropriate. Heck if you want to take about 2022 QB prospects have a blast as long as mods are ok with that too but that’s kind of pushing it I think. There’s no way we weren’t drafting a QB this year unless we kept on Sam for one last look before using a middle pick on QB next year.

Noam likes this.
  18. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Ha Ha
    Reminds me of a night in Greenock Scotland. The Black Cat. Me a young sailor dancing with a girl in a sleeveless dress.

Felt something wet on my arms and realized it was her armpit hair…

After a few pints of heavy I was alright with it!

#139 GreenFan15J, Aug 15, 2021
    Brook! likes this.
  19. Losmeister

PolyG DubCee?