Training Camp News and Tweets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Mac was actually good at finding UDFA contributors, singing guys like Robby Anderson, Frankie Luvu, Kyle Phillips, Doug Middleton, Lawrence Thomas..
    He was better at late round and UDFA than he was with rounds 2-5 unfortunately.

So far with Douglas, Huff and Guidry have already shown promise as undrafted guys.
    Couple very interesting players this crop too, Dunn and Yeboah in particular. We shall see. Little too early yet to know if any are hits.

Going back a further of course, Chrebet, Snacks Harrison, Brandon Moore, Mike Devito, Rontez Miles..

I definitely wouldn't underestimate those guys, there's not much separating 4th round picks and UDFA's really.

#461 BacktoQueens, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Noam, barfolomew and LAJet like this.
  2. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Our stud left tackle can not stop a guy with 8 sacks last yr. He is good but Becton should be better. Becton is supposed to be an all-pro He should be able to handle Lawson.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Great examples going back. Thank you. God, Wayne, Snacks, Moore were such great finds.

BacktoQueens and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't really know how you can call Luvu, Doug Middleton and Lawrence any sort of contributors. They're guys that made the roster because the alternative was worse. Luvu was alright I guess and grabbed a couple coverage sacks here and there. I'd imagine Phillips is fighting for a roster spot.

What separates fourth round picks and UDFA's can be a pretty wide margin especially considering the regimes will generally stick with the draft pick if the players are near even. I don't have the numbers available but I'd imagine the success rate of fourth round picks is much much higher than that of UDFA's. Even if you want to chalk it up to simply being the fact that they get an opportunity to play.

#464 Jonathan_Vilma, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Even the people who say he is a bust and a waste of a 4th round pick, there are plenty of those about?

Who cares about being cool btw if I did I wouldn't be a Jets fan would I?

I see you didn't answer the main point though, ah well.

edit
    I see at @NCJetsfan has already addressed this.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Morgan was a good pick whether he ever plays a down or not. If you don't have a quarterback, it doesn't hurt to throw shit at the wall and hope it sticks in the mid rounds. You might end up with Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott or maybe Cardale Jones or Tom Savage.

I'll never understand why people fought that selection so much.

It's like spending 8 hours filling out a job application and not getting the job while you're unemployed - at least you took a crack at it.

7. BacktoQueens

Thomas saw a lot of playing time as a 5tech even when we had a deep DL, and played a little at FB with mixed results.
    That's contributing,
    Middleton was a FS spot starter, and very good specials contributor.
    Luvu hung around for several years as a situational pass rusher, and is still in the league.
    Kyle Phillips looked really good his rookie year, before getting hurt last year. What short memories around here.
    Guidry saw a lot of time at slot CB, and Huff some situational work like Luvu, both as rooks.
    Not as much impact as Robbie Anderson obviously, but all these guys contributed, which is more than i can say for a lot of our mid round picks.

Not much separates a 4th round pick, a late round pick, or an UDFA from a TALENT perspective.
    I couldn't care less how FO's will give draft picks more chances, that's about FO ego, not about talent.
    Smart coaching staffs will play the best players, regardless of how they were acquired.

#467 BacktoQueens, Aug 4, 2021
  8. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Lol @2

jonnyd and cval like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

The talent gap between a fourth round pick and a UDFA is pretty large dude.

Thomas played exactly 5% of defensive snaps in his two years here.

Middleton started games when Maye went down on one of the leagues worst defenses and was cut the following year. Some dudes named Maurice Canady and Kyron Brown started games for us in 2019 at corner. Would you call them decent finds just because they were there?

Luvu was fine I guess as your last defensive lineman on the roster. Phillips looked alright but he's a dime a dozen run stopper who I still think will struggle to make this team.

I was only talking about the Maccagnan guys and he gets credit for Anderson, but the rest are just camp bodies on most NFL teams. They just benefitted from being on the worst or one of the worst rosters in the NFL that had injury problems.

10. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

lol

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Huff looking like he will surely be apart of the DE rotation, and may start on the other side of Lawson.

Guidry was good in the slot last year. Seems like he’s been good in camp too. That’s good to get two potential contributors from UDFA’s.

ColoradoContrails, Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. BacktoQueens

If the talent gap between the 4th round and UDFA is so big, how come our UDFA's last year played more than Morgan, Clark, and Perine? All 4th round picks. And you can add Zuniga as well.

Phillips a dime a dozen run stopper. lol ok.
    He looked really good on a deep DL.
    Him and Huff looked way better than Zuniga, drafted in the 3rd. If he doesn't make the team maybe it's not a great fit system wise, but he'll be playing somewhere.

Middleon could play either S position, and did it fairly well.
    Also made big plays on specials.
    Got injured a couple years in a row which kinda did him in.

Whole original point being, several UDFA's will make the team or PS every year and contribute more than draft picks, so I wouldn't count them out.
    Only bad teams will value where a guy was drafted over how he can contribute to the team.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There's a big difference between thinking a guy sucks and hoping he sucks. Plenty of people think Morgan sucks, I haven't seen anyone say they hope he sucks.

14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Lol

15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Lol

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

[​IMG]

FJF likes this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’m curious to see how much we go with fant as tackle eligible. It’s a great role for him and we don’t have the tight end you hate to take off the field. I think he plays a big role this year coming off the bench.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, I can see us mauling teams on the ground in big sets all year. I know some fans are daydreaming about the passing game being a powerhouse this year and I know we are going to have a RBBC, but if Michael Carter is anywhere near as fast through those lanes as a pro as he looked at UNC, he may end up being the Jets' most realistic candidate for OROY.

Acad23 and FJF like this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’ve been on the Carter for oroy train for a bit now. I think the passing game has a chance to be average to slightly above average if the run game gets off like I hope it does. It’s a lot easier to pass when they have to respect the run and you’re in 2-5, 3-1 a lot. It’s a foreign concept to us after the last 2 years .

abyzmul and Noam like this.
  20. SmashMouth

SmashMouth Active Member

Only 8 sacks last year? Lawson is known as one of the best edge rushers in all of Football and ranked top 5 in QB pressures last year. And having only 5.5 sacks last year doesn't change that fact because throughout the previous 3 years....

Carl Lawson = Previous 3 years.

11.5 sacks.
    14 blitzes.
    45 QB knockdowns.
    62 QB hits.
    81 QB pressures.

Khalil Mack = Previous 3 years.

30.0 sacks.
    111 blitzes.
    18 QB knockdowns.
    44 QB hits.
    124 QB pressures.

And this is comparing Lawson to the very best edge rusher throughout the previous 3 years. He's a pass rushing nightmare compared to everyone else. Being an elite pass rusher goes way beyond "sacks" .Lawson also had 8.5 sacks 4 years ago (20.0 career) however I can not find his QB Knockdowns, QB hits and QB pressures from 4 years ago. Or else those pass rushing numbers posted above would sky rocket.

Put Lawson on the same D-Line as Quinnen Williams and he's easily a 12-15 sacks per season type of A+ pass rusher due to not being able to be double teamed anymore (thnx to QW) and in closing, Becton's supposed to be an All-Pro when he's yet to play a single down during his 2nd season? Can you name me 10 Rookie LT's who've ever made an All-Pro before their 2nd season?

Because Becton is handling Lawson and it's actually the best (one on one) Training Camp battle in all of Football right now as they're both getting the best of one another.

I should've just typed "lol" like everyone else instead of wasting my own time.

#480 SmashMouth, Aug 4, 2021
    Jets81, PJ4Ever, Mogriffjr and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.