Training Camp News and Tweets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

You can add Perine to that list as well.
    As of now, it’s looking like a poor draft outside of Becton and Hall (sound familiar?)

The 2021 draft I have a lot more faith in though. We need this draft to be one of our best ever.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t count Perine out yet. I admittedly just assumed he’d be the odd man out because he’s not a great scheme fit but there’s been a whole lot more positive news coming out of camp about him than either Johnson or Adams.

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I had been counting him out. But, he seems to be having a good start to year 2. Keep in mind these 2nd year players had it rough with no off-season, no pre-season and Gase as their coach. This should be considered their real rookie year.

While Johnson seems to fit the scheme well according to Nania he is a poor pass blocker while Coleman is a really good pass blocker and Perrine and Carter were both very good pass blockers in college. So that might be one area Perrine has a leg up on Johnson. Although, I would expect either Coleman or Carter to be the favorite for 3rd down back. But, if Coleman gets cut that could be a role for Perrine.

I have been guessing they would keep the RBs at 3 and use the PS for more. It will be interesting to see what they do. So much competition at every position.

#164 Noam, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  5. BroadwayAaron

Coleman most definitely is not getting cut. He’s going to get at least 6-8 touches a game, probably more as a pass-catcher. He wasn’t brought here to be camp fodder, he’s a system fit and a favorite of the coach/staff. And if he’s healthy he SHOULD be getting touches.

Edit: and I know that’s a big if….

#165 BroadwayAaron, Aug 1, 2021
    NCJetsfan, K'OB and KingRoach like this.
  6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

He was brought in at a 1.1 million dollar salary as a third down blocking and catching back. There is no investment in him. He could easily be gone if they like Perrine better than him and like Johnson's speed. Coleman is the odds on favorite for 3rd down back and brings experience to the RB room. Outside of Carter he is the 2nd likeliest RB to make the team but if the young guys all step up there certainly is a path for him being cut. But to do so someone need to adequately fill his role as the third down back. That will not be Johnson.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

I do think that’s ultimately his role but he’s been running with the starters in camp so far. Or at least in the team drills that reporters are tweeting about.

Noam likes this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree with you he is the favorite to be the number 2 and the 3rd down back. I would be surprised if he was not. Both Johnson and Perrine would need to step up to make him expendable.

9. BroadwayAaron

I think the only way Coleman isn’t the number 2 back is if he’s hurt. I think I’m more surprised by Perine having a good camp than Johnson and Adams not making any waves. I think the Internet made way more of a big deal about the two of them being scheme fits than the coaching staff did. And ironically it’s the guy who wasn’t a scheme fit that’s having the best camp of the three of them.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t count anyone out yet. Extremely premature. Last year was a joke of a CS and game planning. I want to know what a top CS can do with them before we start calling every one a bust based on one training practice. Mims last year had some tremendous flashes of greatness amidst QB, OL and coaching play calling issues across the board.
    I want to see how this complete year unfolds.

11. SmashMouth

SmashMouth Active Member

What's there to be surprised about in regards to La'Mical Perine? He was buried on the bench behind a 50 year old RB Frank Gore due to an incompetent Gase/Loggains calling plays for him and once he was (actually) in the game he was surrounded by nothing but absolute crap O-Lineman (outside of a rookie Becton). He never had a prayer and shouldn't be judged based off of last year.

#171 SmashMouth, Aug 1, 2021
    IDFjet and Footballgod214 like this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I think we are going to love Lawson.

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

I’m only saying not to count anyone out because it seems like a lot of people are. Perine was an automatic cut because his skills don’t translate to an outside zone scheme, Coleman is just a vet for camp, Adams/Johnson are scrubs. I’m guilty myself of assuming Perine would be cut, so I’m not accusing anyone. But it’s a sentiment that definitely exists.

My opinion isn’t/wasnt based off last year. No one should base anything off last year considering it was the worst year in franchise history under the worst coach in franchise history. Like I said above, my opinion was based off his skillset. He was drafted to be the guy that picks a hole and runs north to south right through it. Even that one nice TD run he had he struggled to get around the edge. It’s not because he’s not talented… but he just doesn’t fit. Who knows now though, sounds like either a.) he’s more versatile than advertised coming out of college or b.) we aren’t running a true outside zone scheme.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, that particular comment was aimed at some others.

I just don't understand all the negativity some of you seem to have towards Jets players regardless of circumstances.

Yes, rookies are taught to throw to the open man, and I hope that Mims does improve on his ability to get open, but Zach has demonstrated that he has the ability to throw into tight windows. I was just trying to make the point that Mims isn't useless or as a bad a scheme fit as some seem to think.

I think his head is swimming a little bit right now, he's having to think too much, and as a result he's pressing, and it's affecting his play. For all intents and purposes, he's a rookie. He's learning a new offense, fell behind early because of food poisoning and is trying to get caught up learning the offense. He may not be the sharpest pencil in the box so may be struggling with learning the offense. If so, I think he will be fine once he learns it.

I neither worship this CS nor trash them mercilessly. I'm hopeful about them, but I believe more in JD and the talent he has assembled. Most posters here are very skeptical if not downright cynical and jaded. IMO that's much worse than being optimistic, yet getting frustrated or skeptical at times. This new CS has yet to win my trust. Many of you are that way with JD, the CS and the players. I'm only that with with the CS. Most of my frustration in that regard has to do with previous CSs. That's where my skepticism with this CS is coming from. From outward appearances it seems like it could be a great CS, but I want to see it with the moves they make. I want to see them develop young players like Mims who are struggling a bit.

If you can't take me seriously because I'm less consistent emotionally than you, that's your choice, but imo your problem not mine. If my posts bother you so much, perhaps you'd be happier putting me on ignore. There is definitely in between with me. This is a discussion board. What better place is there for a fan to express his frustration? None of my friends where I live are Jets fans. This is the only place I really have to vent my frustratoin and doubts. Cynicism, pessimiism, and skepticism are emotions too, and they are exasperating for those of us who are more postive and optimistic.

SOJAZ, Noam and SmashMouth like this.
  15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'm with ya on Perine. Fans who say "Parine is the odd man out b/c he's not a scheme fit" strike me as fans who have no clue what they're talking about. 'Scheme fit' is just a BS phrase. Every running back who's ever played the game is a one-cut-and-go runner. That's what RBs do. And like you said above, we haven't seen enough of Perine to even KNOW what kind of RB he can be. Perine will be just fine.

16. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

you can say he can outbattle guys to a 50/50 and backshoulder and such... I GET IT

however, that does not mean you are OPEN when you are covered

ouchy likes this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

That could very well happen. There will some casualties I'm sure. But we might also have some pleasant surprises as well. Whatever it takes to continue steer the ship in the right direction for the long haul.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well there is that. I personally tend to rate WR not by how open they get, but based on their ability to catch the ball no matter what, YAC and TDs. Plenty of receivers drop easy passes when open and get out manned when in close proximity. We had plenty of those over the years

19. SmashMouth

SmashMouth Active Member

Who were his QBs last year as a rookie WR? A completely washed up Joe Flacco and a bust Sam Darnold who featured the 47th worst QB Rating? And who were his coaches and play callers last year as a rookie? An atrocious Adam Gase and his cheerleader Loggains? Because there were plenty of times he created separation and streaked wide open but yet was ignored and wasn't thrown the football.

Denzel Mims kicked Chase Claypool's ass throughout their 3 years (starting) @ Baylor/Notre Dame and the only difference (outside of Mims pulling a hamstring) was Claypool was drafted into WR heaven while Mims was drafted into WR hell.

And Mims is very good catching in traffic because he didn't lead the NCAA in catches in traffic for nothing'. He's 6'3 and has blazing 4.3 speed and it's insane to me to see fans quitting on him or even doubting him due to one rookie season while surrounded by absolute crap.

NCJetsfan and FinnishJET like this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

Yup I’m fine with whatever happens as long as it leads to winning. After last year, and having just turned 36 yesterday, I don’t have it in me to care about the minutia anymore. Do whatever the hell you have to do… just get it right. I preferred Wilson, but if we went Fields or Lance I wouldn’t have cared because I just FOR ONCE want it to work out regardless of if we get there the way I wanted to.

If that means Perine makes the team and Tevin Coleman has a larger role in the offense, I could not be more fine with it.

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.