Expert Grades and Reviews of Jets Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by patleahy, May 1, 2021.

1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Thanks, K'OB appreciate it. :)

K'OB likes this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Thor Nystrom doesn't like the Jets, a fucking D lol

3. patleahy

LOL I just noticed that, K'OB! He threw off their entire "GPA" with that D....personally, I think that they should have just thrown out that "grade", since it is such an absurd outlier and since Thor is obviously trolling Jets fans with that absurd grade, for whatever reason. It is something I would expect from Manish or Cimini, lol.

#43 patleahy, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

With me its not about loving the draft or not. We got some quality players. Its a question of the methodology of our rebuild.

Draft grades, besides being as useful as mocks, are grading prospect talent and whether the team chose the right player to fit their needs.

patleahy likes this.
  5. patleahy

I hear you Ouchy...I just couldn't resist though, haha ;)

ouchy likes this.
  6. K'OB

Yup, it stuck out like a sore thumb, all A's and B's and then straight to D be interesting to see why, I think I'll try and find it.

patleahy likes this.
  7. patleahy

K'OB likes this.
  8. K'OB

NEW YORK JETS | SNAP GRADE: D
    Draft capital: 2 | Talent acquired: 2 | Value: 24

Pick Name Pos Rk Comp HT WT RAS
    1.2 Zach Wilson QB4 10 Baker Mayfield 6'2 214 ---
    1.14 Alijah Vera-Tucker iOL1 16 David DeCastro 6'4 308 9.04
    2.34 Elijah Moore WR5 23 Antonio Brown 5'9 178 8.68
    4.107 Michael Carter RB5 79 Clyde Edwards-Helaire 5'8 201 6.23
    5.146 Jamien Sherwood S21 264 Nate Gerry 6'2 216 4.24
    5.154 Michael Carter II CB43 335 Jeremy Ware 5'10 184 5.73
    5.175 Jason Pinnock CB35 296 Tye Smith 6'0 204 9.78
    6.186 Hamsah Nasirildeen S5 85 Kyle Dugger 6'3 215 7.78
    6.200 Brandin Echols CB33 285 Sam Shields 5'10 179 9.15
    6.207 Jonathan Marshall DL13 159 Luis Castillo 6'3 310 9.99

I spent the process arguing against Zach Wilson’s candidacy for 1.2. I felt the Jets sold low on Sam Darnold before giving him a legitimate supporting cast, and I feel they’re overpaying for to find out of Zach Wilson’s one season of star-level play -- against the No. 89 SP+ schedule -- is a mirage or not. I’ve never seen Zach Wilson dominate against a good defense. I can’t tell you what’s coming next. Objectively, too high a price was paid -- a front office is selling what is in actuality a dice-roll as a banner day for the franchise. If it was me, and I was hell-bent on shooting the moon on upside, the pick would have been Trey Lance. And I know at least two people -- John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan -- agree with me, or they wouldn’t have gone to those lengths to prevent the Jets and old buddy Robert Saleh from learning their shoot-the-moon quarterback preference and potentially giving the Jets a new perspective on Lance. Lance is an extremely rare and compelling prospect that I would guarantee you the league’s sharper teams were highest on (and by extension quietest about). I liked the Elijah Moore pick a ton, and Hamsah Nasirildeen could prove to be a steal from R6. But I question the Wilson decision, I thought the Jets overpaid to trade-up for Vera-Tucker (it cost three additional picks, including two R3) when guys like Teven Jenkins and Creed Humphrey ended up coming off the board a round later. If Wilson’s a star, the class is a grand slam of course. He may be. None of us actually know. Literally haven't seen it.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

@patleahy So there you have it, no objectivity, he hated Wilson and that is the D

He liked Lance the same as me, eek

NCJetsfan and patleahy like this.
  9. patleahy

LOL u beat me to it! thanks for posting the review in its entirety.

K'OB likes this.
  10. patleahy

I have to say, that while I find his grade of D to be absurd....his reasoning within the analysis is not THAT unsound. He is obviously a Darnold guy (which I disagree with) so he obviously docked the Jets BIG-TIME for jettisoning Sam for peanuts to roll the dice with Wilson....whom he obviously does not believe in. I disagree with him on that, but I respect the fact that he considers Wilson to be a dice roll until he sees him perform in the NFL given the level of competition he faced in college and given how rapidly he rose up draft boards in the past 6 months based upon one season of work that was obv. seriously disrupted by COVID. I have to admit that I am sorry I didn't create a new thread just for Thor's analysis and grading of the Jets draft, just to see the reactions it would have gotten from TGG, K'OB....lol.

He gives kudos to Ouchy as well regarding the AVT trade up, since Ouchy has been criticizing what the Jets traded to get AVT...Thor actually backs up Ouchy on that point, so Ouchy has at least one expert in his corner! lol :);)

#50 patleahy, May 2, 2021
    Noam likes this.
  11. patleahy

@K'OB here is a further explanation of Thor's grading style, K'OB:

My grades are based heavily on slot value. Addressing needs and in-draft trades are also considered. Below, along with each team's grade, you'll note three additional categories - draft capital, talent acquired and value - teams are ranked in.

Draft capital was calculated via Rich Hill's trade chart. Talent acquired is based on scoring the prospects on my Thor500 board through the prism of Hill's trade chart in the same way. The only other thing you need to know is that I grade on a strict curve.

12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Yeah. I wouldn't call It biased though.

When you believe someone to be better, you're going to get a lower grade. It's kinda how It works.

Same with guard. If you believe we could've traded up for a more valuable position, It makes sense to have a slightly lower grade as well.

Guard Isn't sought after at the top of the draft like a lot of other positions.

twown and patleahy like this.
  13. patleahy

Good points, MeanDean. I think other than Thor, every single analyst has been very complimentary of the Jets draft. To your point, I think that the B+s that some people are surprised by are merely a matter of a slight difference of opinion. The experts who had Fields and/or Lance rated above Wilson are not going to give the Jets an A for selecting Wilson when they could have selected Fields or Lance, etc. Even if they still like Wilson as a QB, which they obviously do, as evidenced by the B+ grade. To your point, same thing with the AVT pick...they like AVT as a player, hence the B+ grade, but they dock it slightly down from an A for the trade up for a position (Guard) that is viewed as having less draft value than other positions (QB, LT, RT, Edge, CB). That is all.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  14. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

It just goes to show you that some people have never tried to tackle 5'-6" Darren Sproles.

15. patleahy

The Ringer also thought VERY HIGHLY of our draft class. They gave it an A+. Summary is below:

New York Jets

It’s hard to not like what the Jets did this weekend. Wilson has a dynamic skill set that both raises the floor for this team’s offense in 2021 and gives that unit the chance to reach an elite level in the future. Vera-Tucker is a plug-and-play guard who can line up next to Mekhi Becton and solidify the left side of the line. Moore is one of my absolute favorite players in this class, a receiver with sure hands, high-end athleticism, and natural instincts after the catch. And Carter represents great value in the fifth round, as he’s an elusive back with jitterbug quickness. New York has its quarterback of the future―and the makings of a strong offensive nucleus to surround him. Grade: A+

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The analyst here showed the same conservative, traditional thinking that some poster here had regarding taking a DE, and imo they should know better. I can understand fans not understanding or thinking more realistically, but there's no excuse for an analyst at NFL.com to be so backwards. The Jets already had Q. Williams and JFM as interior pass rushers and Josh Huff showed some potential last year as a pass rusher. The Jets also added Jabari Zuniga, but due to overcoming an injury and the scheme we were using, we didn't see much from Zuniga. The story could be very different in Saleh's 4-3 which is a much better fit for Zuniga. In addition, JD added pass rushers in Lawson, Curry and Raskins, and Jarrad Davis can blitz. That group should be able to provide plenty of pressure this season and going forward, but if not, the Jets have two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks in the 2022 draft where there will just happen to be 2-3 blue chip DEs (there were none in this draft), and probably a deeper and stronger group of DEs since a lot of players returned to school. Also, teams should have a better opportunity to scout/evaluate players next year, as the Combine and personal visits should return. If the Jets can't develop or find another pass rushing threat from this group to start opposite Lawson during this season, then they will be perfectly poised to draft one next year. There will be no bigger need. They possibly could need an upgrade at TE, upgrade one of the spots in the RB rotation, and maybe find Fant's replacement, but overall the offense should be pretty much set for the next few years, so the emphasis should be on DE, LB and CB next year. I can easily see that draft being the opposite of this year's draft, where the first 3-4 picks are all defense (DE, CB, LB, LB) with some offensive players sprinkled in the middle and later rounds.

I love Williams, but Carter is a better scheme fit and a better value for the Jets. If they had taken Williams, they wouldn't have gotten nearly as good a WR as Moore.

JD & Saleh ran this draft perfectly and did exactly what was needed. Therefore, I give the NFL.com analyst a C- for his analytical skills and knowledge of the team.

ColoradoContrails, patleahy and K'OB like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Sounds like a pompous ass to me. Who in the heck is Rich Hill? I guess with a name like Thor, he thinks he has to be different and prove himself smarter than everyone. Rolling with Sam would have been the dumbest thing JD could have done. Thor is a dolt.

K'OB and patleahy like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Thanks for posting all of these, patleahy.

patleahy likes this.
  19. patleahy

Be careful with what you say about him, NC. Rumour has it that the dude carries around a gigantic hammer which he could very easily crack you over the head with. :( Remember, Thor is a Norseman.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. patleahy

Glad to see everyone enjoying reading them. Thought it would make sense to have one thread to serve as a general repository for all of the Draft Reviews/Class Grades that the media produces the Day After, ESP after a draft that went so well and that has received such rave reviews from everyone (except for Thor and Ouchy! ). :);):)

#60 patleahy, May 2, 2021
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.