Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but the Johnsons could still be calling the shots, and we might not have hired as good a HC prospect as Saleh. We could have hired Gregg Williams or someone of his ilk. We also probably wouldn't have hired JD. Who knows who our GM would be and if we would have gotten anything out of last year's draft.

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I do yes, would we have got it?

We might have had to trade down twice, I am not sure if this kind of move would be unprecedented in the draft, especially from the #2, the only difference between us is, I don't think it is going to damage us as much as you seem to think, we have a hell of a lot of picks left over the next two years still.

Our offence is improved, it improved the moment goggle eyes got the mallet, which means we will now have a running game for starters, we have also improved the WR's and hopefully, we will grab a guard/right tackle/centre or all 3 in the draft.

I think our D bar CB has improved but the proof will be in the pudding when the season starts, so I think it is a bit disingenuous to state that all we will hopefully get is a wild card spot in a few years.

You can but as you will have read I find the repeated comments about Fields and Wilson equally fucking boring, I have no idea why they need to repeat yourself over and over is such a thing, all it has gained for the QB gang is mutual loathing but at I suppose that is a live debate your hopes and dreams are a dead in the water, making it pointless ;)

ps no mention of your superstar and how he would improve us after trading down to 6.

ouchy likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

If the Bengals take Chase instead of Sewell or Slater, they're certifiably insane. Chase is a great WR prospect and would give Burrow a needed weapon, but what good would it do if Burrow gets injured and misses a huge chunk of the season? This is a deep draft with a LOT of good WRs. Also, although I doubt that Chase will bust, WRs bust at a higher rate than OTs. If you're right and they take Chase, then the Panthers could very well take Sewell if they don't take a QB.

4. K'OB

Interesting, I'd have had them taking the LT Sewell, especially after already nearly killing their star QB once.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Did you see the game? Zach played well. Defense absolutely shit the bed by allowing long scoring drives and keeping the ball out of Zach's hands. Multiple drops. Stupid penalties negating major yardage and TD. I felt Zach had a good game, I think his not "rising to the occasion" is simply inaccurate assessment of his performance and in general of what took place.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

More importantly is it true?

7. NCJetsfan

Interesting article from The Athletic pointing out how what a crapshoot the draft is this year for teams looking to draft a QB. It points out how there is little or no consensus among teams or among scouting, GMs, and personnel people in the NFL. That makes it all the more incredible that the Jets, working independently, all chose Willson.

https://theathletic.com/2543626/202...fl-draft-as-a-qb-crapshoot/?source=dailyemail

Zach Wilson? Mac Jones? Justin Fields? Why talent evaluators see this NFL Draft as a QB crapshoot
    By Dan Pompei Apr 26, 2021

Teams that select quarterbacks high in the NFL Draft always have to embrace risk the way rock climbers do.

This year, they are more like free soloists.

It appears to be a dangerous year to be playing the quarterback game in the draft because there is less agreement on the top prospects than usual. That has been the case from team to team, and that has been the case within many draft rooms, where, as one front-office person said, “We’re all over the board on these guys.” Said another after his team’s scouts met and watched tape of all the top quarterbacks, “Even in our own room, there are disagreements.”

Consensuses don’t necessarily mean everyone is right. But there is comfort in unity. There is uncertainty in disagreement.

Ten NFL evaluators shared their opinions about the quarterbacks with The Athletic. Their divergent evaluations can be explained, to a degree, by the impact COVID-19 had on the 2020 season, as the pandemic prevented scouts from getting much live exposure to players and the scouting combine was canceled. Maybe they didn’t develop the same kind of groupthink they often do because they weren’t together as much.

But there’s more to it.

Consider this:

• Alabama’s Mac Jones, North Dakota State’s Trey Lance and Stanford’s Davis Mills don’t have long playing histories. BYU’s Zach Wilson started 28 games, but his resume before 2020 probably would have made him a late-round pick. And during Wilson’s impressive 2020 season, BYU played a soft schedule that didn’t challenge Wilson anywhere near the way Jets opponents will challenge him, assuming he is taken with the No. 2 pick.

• Three of the top-five-rated quarterbacks — Jones, Lance and Wilson — were three-star recruits coming out of high school. Top-of-the-draft quarterbacks are usually five- or four-star recruits.

• Those who want to know what they are getting appear to have an option in Jones. Those who want to swing for a tape-measure home run and are not as concerned about downside can lean toward Lance or Ohio State’s Justin Fields.

• With the way the game has evolved, many coaches are less interested in immobile pocket passers like Jones and Florida’s Kyle Trask than they used to be. But others are mesmerized by their passing skills and ability to win games.

Evaluators are mostly in agreement about one quarterback: Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence, expected to be the No. 1 pick in the draft by the Jaguars. All of them would take him first overall, but they had differing viewpoints about his ceiling. A general manager has him rated No. 1 on his team’s board at any position, ahead of Florida tight end Kyle Pitts and LSU wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase, who are tied for second.

Two scouting directors consider Lawrence above or equal to Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck as prospects. “I can’t find a weakness,” one of them said. A third considers him considerably behind Luck and questions if he will be one of the premier quarterbacks in the NFL unless he is in an ideal situation. A quarterbacks coach also rates him behind Manning and Luck and said he is not an “elite passer.” The coach believes Lawrence, at 213 pounds, is too thin to stay healthy in the NFL with the way he depends on mobility.

The more notable disagreements begin with Wilson. The quarterbacks coach and one of the directors rate Wilson just a tad behind Lawrence. But a longtime, high-ranking evaluator said he doubts Wilson will be a very successful NFL quarterback. He pointed out that the quarterback’s size — Wilson is 6-foot-2, 214 pounds, his hands measure 9 4/8 inches and his arms measure 30 5/8 inches — is not ideal.

Those who have short memories will think better of Wilson than those who don’t. Wilson’s passer rating improved from 84.9 in 2019 to 138.2 in 2020.

Wilson’s best impression — his pro day — was his last. One personnel director said he is the most gifted thrower in the draft, which Wilson made a case for at his pro day. A scout said he had the quickest release of all the quarterbacks.

Two of the front-office people acknowledged questions about Wilson’s demeanor. He wasn’t one of eight Cougars whom teammates voted a captain, but that might have been because he was in a competition for the starting job before the season. “Borderline cocky,” a scout said. But the coach said his personality was a reason to like him. “It seems like he got his teammates going and showed leadership qualities during COVID,” he said.

ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Two of the evaluators rated Wilson as the third-best quarterback. Both had Fields ahead of him as the second-best quarterback.

Fields is polarizing as well. One high-ranking evaluator rates him as fourth-best in the class, and an offensive coach said he wouldn’t take him before the second round. But one of the scouts said he is the most talented quarterback in terms of arm and athleticism. He does have concerns about Fields’ accuracy and decision-making that give him pause, however.

The offensive coach said the best thing Fields does is throw downfield but said he wouldn’t be able to make a living doing that in the NFL. He said Fields needs to be used the right way, in an offense that features pocket movement and play action and highlights his athleticism. “You have to construct an offense around what he can do,” a scout said. “You can’t plug him into a standard offense.”

While Fields can move — he ran a 4.46 40-yard dash, and he rushed 218 times for 867 yards and 15 touchdowns over the last two seasons — evaluators expressed concern over his ability to avoid pressure. Fields was sacked 49 times in his college career.

His draft stock is complicated by the recent revelation that he has epilepsy.

“Boom or bust,” one of the scouting directors said of Fields.

Those who like Jones really like him. One scout called him the safest pick at the position. “Love him,” he said. Another called him the most intelligent and instinctive quarterback in the draft and said he was worthy of a top-10 selection.

Then there is the other faction. Jones is the fifth-ranked quarterback on one team’s board. A national scout, citing Jones’ lack of arm strength, mobility and athleticism, said it would be crazy to take him with the third overall pick. He believes Jones should be a late first-round pick or early second-round pick based on his talent. A director thinks even less of Jones, saying he will be a low-end starter who becomes an eventual backup.

There is reason to believe Jones can thrive in the right system with the right players around him because he already did so at Alabama. Those who judge Jones mostly on results and game tape think he is a poor man’s Tom Brady — he plays with a similar style. “He’s going to have to play like Tom plays, succeed like Tom does, using his mind and arm,” said one evaluator who has studied him.

But quarterbacks who are chosen high in the first round almost always are high-end talents. Jones is not. He benefited from being surrounded by multiple first-round picks at Alabama, and he started only 17 career games.

The evaluations on Lance ranged from the second-best quarterback in the class to the fifth-best and a second-round talent.

It’s difficult for some scouts to get too comfortable with Lance because his body of work is limited. He never was intercepted, but he threw just 319 passes in his college career and played only one game in the last 15 months. Furthermore, he faced lesser opponents than every other highly rated quarterback. “He’s inexperienced, and it shows,” one of the directors said. “He probably needs to sit and learn.”

Two of the front-office people said Lance is further behind where Jordan Love was a year ago. Love was taken 26th overall by the Packers.

Lance’s accuracy and throwing mechanics are concerns to some. “He has a lot of work to do as a passer,” an offensive coach said. “He misses easy throws. He might be the most gifted but the least ready to win.”

Lance won every one of his 17 college starts. “He has all the tools,” the national scout said. “He’s big, athletic and strong, and he has timing and touch. He’s a good kid besides.”

The order of the top five quarterbacks is debatable, but the players who belong there have not been debated. After the top five, opinions vary over who should be taken next among Mills, Trask and Texas A&M’s Kellen Mond.

Mills is a “natural quarterback” in the estimation of one scout. Three of the evaluators said they believe Mills has the potential to be an NFL starter, and one said he would take a chance on him as high as the second round, but that viewpoint is not universal. “I wish he made more plays and threw more guys open,” one of the directors said.

Mills was the No. 1-ranked quarterback in the country in high school, but he’s had four surgeries on his left knee. Some teams are likely to downgrade him as a result, according to one front-office person.

One of the evaluators said he would consider taking Trask as early as late in the first round. “I wouldn’t bet against him,” he said. Another longtime, high-ranking evaluator said he thinks Trask’s grade should be the same as Jones’ or higher.

Two others believe Trask will be no more than an NFL backup and think he should be a fourth-round selection. On one team’s board, Trask is ranked behind Texas’ Sam Ehlinger.

Buying into Trask means getting over his lack of pedigree. He was a high school backup who earned a spot on the Gators with an impressive recruiting camp performance. One coach said he’s “less athletic than Mac Jones,” and a scout said Trask is “stunningly slow.”

One evaluator sees Mond as a possible second-round pick with the potential to improve. The quarterbacks coach, meanwhile, considers him an inconsistent passer who won’t be an NFL starter.

The truth is nobody can be sure of what kind of NFL player Mond will be.

And the same can be said about every other quarterback in the draft, except Lawrence.

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

they already optioned darnold and guaranteed him 18.8 mil for 2022.

10. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

lol @ouchy would love that article, he has been saying that picking the 2nd qb behind lawrence is a total crapshoot for the past 4 months, lol.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's funny because if you had to compare this class to the 2018 class it would probably look like this 9don't take this post serious though as my opinion. just a funny observation)

lawerence = darnold - aka the defacto suck for sam/tank for trevor to start the off season
    jones = rosen - aka not the most talented but smart, pro ready, and safe pick
    lance = allen - aka big boom or bust player with a lot of talent but hasn't put it into production really and probably more mobile then given credit for
    wilson = mayfield - aka the late riser. the one who wasn't on a lot of radars until later in the off season
    fields = jackson - aka the mobile athletic QB with a lot of question marks

based on this lawerence will fizzle in a bad situation and be traded away 3 years later with potential but too many mistakes
    jones will bust
    lance will be ok as a rookie and a pro bowler by year 3
    wilson will be an average NFL starter if surrounded by a good team
    fields will flash and dazzle with his running ability and win an MVP year 2, but not win in the playoffs however still be a pro bowler

ouchy likes this.
  12. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

They will take Chase. He will be a superstar. By far the best WR in this class, maybe in the last 10 years. Bengals can get OL in the 2nd and third but you can't get someone like Chase anywhere in this draft. The WRs later in the draft who you love, they are not even in the same league as Chase. And I love those WRs too, but Chase is a special player.

No way Chase is a bust. How could you even mention bust and Chase in the same sentence?? Yikes! He is scary good on the level of Pitts.

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Mayfield? Yuck! I rather Darnold and Jackson, who I’m not big fans of, over Mayfield.

[​IMG]

LAJet and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  14. major33

They can get OL in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th. Other than Pitts, Chase is so off the charts good, that you can't pass pairing up Burrow with his former teammate.

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think the Dolphins are looking at taking a tackle with pick 6 with the changes they have made at tackle moving Hunt to guard and trading Flowers.

16. NCJetsfan

I agree that Chase is a special player, but again, what good does that "special player" do, if your starting QB is running for his life and doesn't have time to look for him, or if your starting QB winds up on IR again? You may be right that they'll take Chase, as Mike Brown has not been known for his wise choices. Not having even a good LT, I think the wisest course would be to take Sewell or Slater, then take a WR with the next pick. Keeping Burrow vertical and healthy should be their #1 priority. Fewer teams have true #1 WRs, and more of them are going with 3-4 very good WRs. A healthy Burrows with 3-4 very good WRs is better imo than the backup QB and Chase.

K'OB likes this.
  17. K'OB

but but but people on here would have taken Sewell with our #2 pick, generational talent.

According to Ouchy, Chase isn't even the #1 WR in the draft ;)

I guess we will find out on Thursday lol

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

You're probably right. I think they should. They at least draft before Carolina, but not before Cincinnati. It's possible than in a span of 4 picks we could see the top 3 LT prospects go off the boards.

Noam likes this.
  19. major33

No they didn't. They have until May 3 to pick up his option and they have said they are waiting until after the draft. Carolina still might take a QB if the one they like falls to them. That is the latest I heard out of Carolina. Which makes sense because they have not picked up Sams option yet.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. major33

Sorry but Ouchy is clueless. Chase is in the same class as Pitts. Nobody close. Chase is a generational talent. Sewell is great, but you can get OL later in the draft.

Noam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.