Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

This is what you get when you pressure Fields. Cant wait to see him handle an NFL defense.[​IMG]

REVISion likes this.
  2. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

When Mahomes was coming out, his decision-making was one of the TOP concerns teams had. He had a reputation as a "gunslinger" Brett Favre/Jay Cutler type of QB. Obviously, that concern was unfounded as he doesn't throw nearly the amount of INTs those guys did, but I do remember that being a primary concern the year he was drafted.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I thought it was ridiculous too at first, especially since I think pro days are dumb. And yeah the hype was cheesy and over the top, no doubt.

But I will say I was watching highlights of Wilson the other day to get an idea of how he looks and by God he completed a similar pass in a game. Not quite the distance of course but retreating, fogging it up, nice play. So after that it made more sense to me why he showed it off during his pro day.

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The whole "trade back" thing ignores two realities:

1. QB's are so important that a good one is worth more than 3-4 good players anywhere else.

2. How likely is it that all of the guys you draft with the extra picks turn out to be good? Very unlikely. Single picks alone usually bust regardless of position. The claim is that a team will successfully draft 3-4 good players in one draft? Nonsense.

Borat, ColoradoContrails and patleahy like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'm not saying he is mahomes. i'm just making the point. we need a QB we are taking one at 2. that is inevitble. the debate on which one do we prefer. the rest isn't relevant at least not to this thread. If you want o make a thread arguing we shouldn't take a QB at 2 then go for it. you can have your opinion. but it's off topic here

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I assume you mean O'Brien and Penny. Wilson is better than both.

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Well not everyone can be Wilson and be able to carve up NFL caliber defenses like a Thanksgiving turkey. I would say I can wait to see Wilson face an NFL defense but I guess I have already seen it when I watched him against Navy, North Alabama, University of Texas San Antonio and the like. He’s definitely more prepared to face NFL defense than any prospect in this draft or any draft in quite sometime. NFL defenses watch out; Zach is coming for you!!!

NYJFOREVER and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  8. legler82

It wasn’t a concern of mine and I was called blind, an idiot and other pleasantries on this board for it. History repeats itself.

NYJFOREVER and patleahy like this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Chad was a much better QB than Wilson is likely to be. Just like an egg back there which Wilson also is likely to be.

If Wilson took the kind of punishment O'Brien took he'd likely be retired by the end of his second season on the field.

ouchy likes this.
  10. patleahy

I wasn't around on the board back then, legler, but if what you say is true (and I will take you at your word), then kudos to you for predicting that Mahomes would turn out to be this good. I certainly didn't expect him to become the best QB in the entire league 2-3 years into his career with the Chiefs.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You take the highest rated skill player at #2 and there is a 90% chance they will be a career all pro. You take a QB at #2 and there is a less then 50% chance they will even last their rookie contract. Why are people acting like picking a QB at #2 increases the chances the pick will be a FQB? Maybe if he was the sure thing first QB taken. Otherwise - no.

In the last 4 drafts the Chargers got one at 6, Buffalo got one at 7,The Ravens got one at 28, the Texans got one at 10, and the Chiefs got one at 12.

You can get a FQB a lot of places with minimal risk and luck. You cant get the best skill players anywhere without incredible luck, or picking top 3 (except this season when its top 8).

#2211 ouchy, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  12. bicketybam

Nice deflection!

REVISion likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think you're right that "many" are looking for the next Mahomes, but speaking for myself, it's just so happens that Wilson plays a similar style of football to Mahomes. And while I have no idea what Douglas is looking for I seriously doubt that his criteria is "Find the next the Mahomes".

Borat and patleahy like this.
  14. legler82

One year worth of college stats under pressure is not an indicator of how one will perform in the NFL. Justin Herbert had terrible numbers under pressure his senior year and I believe he had the 2nd best rating against pressure in the NFL as a rookie.

15. patleahy

People are always "slaves of the moment" in that regard...they see the most recent success someone has had, and they automatically assume "this is the ONLY/BEST way to do it, so I am going to emulate what that guy just did!"....so in that regard, since the Chiefs recently hit the powerball lottery with Mahomes, yes it makes sense that every QB-needy team is now looking for "the next Mahomes".....it is just human nature....however, from what I have read and seen, the QB comparison that I see the most is that Zach Wilson reminds scouts of Aaron Rodgers when he came out of Cal.

legler82, Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. patleahy

I will admit that I was stunned at the success Hebert had this past year. Stunned. I was not expecting him to be that good. Legit question for you, Legler...what did you think of Hebert as an NFL prospect when he was at Oregon? Did you honestly expect him to be this good?!

17. legler82

It’s not a criteria but it creeps into the mind. One can’t help it. That’s why every talking head and most fans make mention of Mahomes when talking about Wilson. You guys think scouts are somehow immune to what’s plaguing everyone else?

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I mean it's just their job and all to ignore the fans. But maybe you are right

legler82 likes this.
  19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but all of the bolded points are just blatantly off base. The first is empirically false. The second is false as well because it's empirically true that the higher you draft a prospect the more likely he will be good and the third is also just blatantly false.

You really think getting a FQB can be done with minimal luck and risk? Then why do the vast majority of teams not have one?

20. bicketybam

So Fields has hope? Did Herbert also get sacked at an alarming rate? Honest question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.