Justin Fields Pro Day. March 30th Tuesday

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Mar 28, 2021.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

if that’s the plan then I may have to find a pillow to cry into. Yes your last sentence is exactly what I’m saying. So many people were quick to jump to the conclusion that all of this trading means Wilson is gone but to me it can mean just as much that they know Wilson will be there.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

i’m not saying that at all. I’m saying that we have absolutely no idea what is going to happen with the second pick just because the Niners traded up to three. My personal opinion is that neither Jones or Fields is worth giving up draft capital for so between all of the connections these front offices have to teach other, maybe San Francisco got wind that Wilson will be there and that’s why they traded up.

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It does feel that way doesn't it.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

5. NCJetsfan

I would be shocked if that happened. A couple of NFL GMs just said anonymously that he is just too raw, and has played too little, his accuracy is too bad, and they don't see him as a 1st round pick. Of course, that doesn't mean that they were telling the truth, or that JD or some other GM won't take him based on his potential alone.

I just don't see JD taking Lance. If he does, I will root for him to succeed, but he definitely will need to sit for at least a year, maybe two.

K'OB likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

It could just be the years of abuse speaking, but yes to me it does feel like that’s what’s happening.

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

1) floor is flat out bust. ceiling is probably more athletic baker mayfield. a decent QB in the right situation that can run.
    2) for comps, it's tough but I think he'd be best off in a RPO system like cam newton ran.
    3) upside vs wilson is he's faster thats about it. downside is everything else

In short fields film really just isn't good. It's not bad it's just there. too much unknown from a QB who had it too easy and hasn't had to make NFL window throws. his mechanics are great but the natural arm talent is lacking compared to a wilson. his windup is long. he looks kinda like RG3 and cam. compared to wilsons twitch off balance throws.

Funny enough if I compared it to the 2017 class fields looks like a more athletic baker while wilson looks like darnold spot on.

Pepsiguy5, legler82 and Brook! like this.
  8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Didn't watch and can't watch due to work. What is Steve Young saying about Wilson? :)

The Dark Knight likes this.
  9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Would one rather have Baker or Darnold right now? There’s value in being able to make the basic completions.

10. GasedAndConfused

it's tough to say. baker with the jets and darnold with the browns would have changed everything. Baker is surrounded by top tier talent with the browns and is still just a good not great starter. he would be awful if we drafted him. whats the point of having either. neither would have been good on the jets. I think if clevland took darnold and we took baker, we'd be moving on from baker this year and darnold would be doing just fine. There is also value in building a good team around a young QB and we failed at that. I would have rather had lamaar jackson and the extra 5 or 6 draft picks like I originally wanted the jets to do or stand at 6 and take allen and keep the 3 2nd rounders we gave up. I think jackson and allen would have done better here then darnold due to their skill sets

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

You should definitely watch tonight.

He said a lot, but one of the things that stood out to me was that it's not very often where a young QB can handle everything his OC throws at him. A lot struggle with increased responsibility, but Wilson thrived. He said the BYU OC would see a play that Andy Reid or some other NFL team called, give that play to Wilson and Wilson could always do it. He thinks Wilson's ceiling is unbounded. He thinks Wilson is better than Lawrence.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And when I compare to 2017 class, Wilson looks more like Mahomes, while Fields like Watson.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. legler82

I like the 2018 draft Baker & Darnold parallel you’ve made w/ regards to Fields & Wilson even as far as the hype. It is tough, if I need a special play/throw I lean towards Darnold but if I need just a basic completion I choose Baker. The NFL game is comprised of a lot more of the latter than former. I don’t if Jackson would have done well here since so much of his success is centered around how they’ve adapted an offense around his skill set. However, I do think Allen would have been able to help us be more competitive than we have been w/ Sam even though his passing numbers would probably look as bad if not worse.

14. legler82

I’m sure he meant 2018 draft but I can see the parallel it’s not as obvious as the ones folks normally make.

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The Mahomes comparisons are great but what is being overlooked is Andy Reid is not our coach.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

He loves Wilson. However, a former BYU QB on a BYU show talking about a BYU QB, could be a little partial. :D

17. GasedAndConfused

fields looks nothing close to watson on film. wilston to mahoms kinda makes sense
    You don't always have to be splashy to be good. sure mahomes and rodgers and even favre back in the day are just amazing to watch. but guys like brady, peyton manning, drew brees, all are amazing Qbs without the arm talent or ability of darnold. and it's all because accuracy and intelligence. which is what I see in mac jones. he reminds me of a drew brees like QB. even chad had the chance to be that if not for the injuries. if you are smart, have a quick release and accurate you can run an NFL offense. If you can limit turnovers and be a gunslinger you can run an offense. wilson has a lot of those abilities. Fields just doesn't. his best comparison to me is RG3. that's what his film looks like. i don't think he has what it takes to be even an above average QB and i'm not alone in that which is why he went for QB2 or even QB1B to now being the 4th QB taken at best. the top 3 seems all but set as t-law, wilson, and jones. ATL at 5 could take lance or fields or take a WR to replace julio who isn't getting younger. bengals want chase but could be happy with a LT. I think we won't see defense get drafted at all in the top 8 at this rate.

18. legler82

Well no one can blame you for having half ass takes.

19. legler82

Wilson is closer to Darnold as a prospect IMO than he is Mahomes if such a spectrum existed.

20. legler82

@GasedAndConfused back to the Fields Baker comp real quick. You do realize that once you add an extra 2-3 inches in height, an extra 20lbs +/-, 4.40 speed, a stronger arm & top tier athleticism for the position means you no longer have yourself Baker, right?

Borat and NYJFOREVER like this.