Justin Fields Pro Day. March 30th Tuesday

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Mar 28, 2021.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I already explained it. If you don't get it, you're being obtuse.

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Excellent observation. To me it means only one of two things. Either they know without a doubt that the Jets will take Fields, or they don’t want him at three no matter what. Take your pick. What are the odds that Wilson drops way out of the top four?

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Ah okay. Except no one is discounting Wilson in the same way they did Mahomes. There's a media lovefest over Wilson. Wilson didn't play in an air raid. Mahomes did. Mahomes went to Texas Tech (you said A&M). Wilson didn't have a losing record. Wilson wasn't a prolific passer for 2.5 seasons like Mahomes was. Mahomes played in a power 5 conference his entire career. Wilson played against 8 power 5 teams in 30 career games.

What's the similarity again? That there were knocks against both players? Welcome to every prospect ever sans Andrew Luck and Peyton.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If that is the case I’ll pass big time. Next

5. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I am still going on with my first gut since October/November that Fields is the guy that could benefit the Jets with his legs and athleticism. While Wilson could be the real deal, I think Fields a better fit for LeFleur’s offense, adds another dimension to the offense and more importantly seems more of a safety net heath-wise. Will I be disappointed with Wilson as the first Jets pick? No but I think Fields is the wiser choice IMO.

Freddy Mondo and legler82 like this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Holy shit if Mac Jones go before Fields I'll be speechless.

I can understand if Trey Lance went to SF because he is so physically gifted and they can afford to let him sit a full year to develop but Mac FUCKING Jones? Nuh-uh

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

One of Jones's strengths is his quick processing and decision-making. These are key aspects of the SF system. Another key trait is great accuracy, also a key part of the SF offense. They rely on a rushing attack to set up shots for the passing game, which means there's a premium placed on quick, accurate passes, strengths of Jones.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's their guy except that if that's the case, why they felt they had to trade up to #3 to get him.

ouchy likes this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Tuesday will be fun to watch Fields in action. Similar to Lawrence, Lance, Jones and Wilson, I expect him to have a good Pro Day.

If he does, and the draft starts
    1. Lawrence
    2. Wilson
    3. Lance

Either the Falcons draft Fields at #4 or they will trade the pick to someone who will take him. He is the one question mark right now, but I am sold on him.

Not sold on the Mac Jones hype though. If he goes at 3, then I will really be confused. :D

9. ColoradoContrails

What's strange is if the 49'ers want Lance why didn't they send anyone to his pro day? Or did they and I missed it?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

They are targeting Mac Jones :eek:

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Well at least I’ll have company in my banishment. I think this debate comes down to perceived upside vs perceived NFL readiness which folks value most at the QB position. Provided I feel comfortable that I’m not dealing w/ a head case, I’m going to go with the higher upside play 10 out of 10 drafts. Then again I can afford to sitting on a coach not having my job on the line. Job security in NFL front offices is fleeting so I completely understand why perceived readiness almost always win out.

Brook! likes this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That part I don't know. I thought it made the most sense because a few reasons:
    1. They are keeping Jimmy G, so Lance can sit for a year.
    2. I have heard many people say he would be the clear #1 pick if he stayed in school for the 2022 draft.
    3. They traded up after his Pro Day, but before Fields' Pro Day.
    4. I just don't see Mac Jones as a Top 3 pick.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Fields or Wilson?

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Wow the Niners really must be more interested in Jones than Fields, since Shanahan and Lynch are going to Jones Pro Day, and not going to Fields'. That's surprising.

15. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

The timing of the trade is the key.

As soon as Wilson measurement were official the trade was announced.

Based on comments from scouts regarding QBs it seems like NFL teams are either all in or all out (not even considering the player). Obviously SF probably have 3 QBs as All in and most likely Wilson is one of them. As for for the Jets also if the rumours are true that Philly wanted the 3rd overall but only if Wilson is available led me the believe that they expect Wilson going top 2.

Now on to SF, they went all in, which mean they most likely have 3 QB as must have (franchise QB) if not they don't trade up. As for the talk as drafting Mac Jones 3rd overall does not make sense, well to me it makes total sense if he is considered a must have by SF and they cannot risk another team to draft him ahead of them even though most ranking have him as the 5th best QB. After all, Mac Jones might be the best fit to their scheme but at the same if they go for upside and are willing to sit their new QB for a year to learn then Lance make the most sense...As for Fields it would also make sense too but the timing of the announcement of the trade would be weird... why send that huge package of future draft pick if you have not seen him in person yet.

I think they will surprise and shock the football world and select Jones with an outside chance of Lance.

#75 Kryoptix, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Either that or Lynch spoke with someone at the Jets camp and somehow got the idea that the Jets wouldn't be selecting QB at all.

They were both at the same pro day hours before it happened and Lynch pulled the trigger before Wilson even started throwing.

17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I don't really get the Jones hate on here. Jets fans, above all, should recognize that competent quarterbacking is a gift, never mind 'intangibles'.

He'd be an ideal scheme fit for 6 or 7 NFL teams that don't constantly find themselves in 3rd and 22 situations. I don't want him here but I can definitely see why he'd be a solid pick.

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

This is me thinking about who to believe about which QB to select...

[​IMG]

I can't wait for it to be over tbh

legler82 likes this.
  19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The Jets would be idiots to share that with SF. I don’t think JD is an idiot.

20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Also, I think it's the system these kids are put into. Sam might work out great with the Niners or Seattle. We know for a fact that no one could thrive under a Gase led team. I just hope the new Jets brass are smart and creative enough to put Wilson in the best system for him and the Jets to have some success finally.

ColoradoContrails likes this.