Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

H
    Had no idea the NFL and McDonalds were thought to be similar environments....

Footballgod214 likes this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

"Joe Douglas made a vow to Sam Darnold's parents when he met them before the New York Jets' preseason opener last summer. The new general manager assured Mike and Chris Darnold they weren't going to have to worry about their son with him in charge.

“I promised I was going to do everything in my power to take care of Sam with protection and playmakers,” Douglas recalled during a conference call Wednesday. “I think we still have a lot to do in both those regards moving forward. I think we've done our best to attack some of the issues we had in the past.”

This is something JD seems to have come up with. Probably JD, the new GM, trying to create a family atmosphere when they met at a game.

#1082 ouchy, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ah, I forgot, the NFL is closer to preschool than actual employment. They were probably just making sure Sammy got his naps promptly at 11am after SpongeBob.

And really, it was embarrassing having my mother talk to my boss even at 15 years old.

papapump, NYCriminal and azhar80 like this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What is the position of an employee's parents in an employer/employee relationship?

#1084 Ralebird, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I seem to remember a few wins against decent teams as the season progressed as well don't I? Including a won game that our DC went stark raving mad and managed to flip back with no time on the clock.

ouchy likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Do you think Brett Favre's parents, even in the midst of all of his pill addiction issues, ever got a call from Mike Holmgren and Ron Wolf telling them they'd take care of their son?

NYCriminal likes this.
  7. ZachMFWilson

Knowing how consistently wrong you’ve been in the past makes your opinion meaningless.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Can you write us up a report after your shift tomorrow?

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Sam's parents should sue the Jets and name Joe Douglas as a defendant in a breach of oral contract law suit. Maybe they can hire Anthony Buzbee. There may be 12 other victims that Joe has made false promises to!

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The drafting was so bad before the Darnold pick and the trade to acquire him so depletive of draft resources that it would have taken a major miracle for the Darnold pick to work out.

2nd WR Devin Smith
    5th OG Jarvis Harrison

5th OT Brandon Shell
    7th WR Charone Peak

3rd WR Ardarius Stewart
    4th WR Chad Hansen
    5th TE Jordan Leggett
    6th RB Elijah McGuire

That's what the Jets did before the Darnold trade-up. One NFL player in the lot in Brandon Shell and not a particularly good one.

Then alongside Darnold in the 2018 draft they took 4th TE Chris Herndon and 6th RB Marcus Cannon.

In the 2019 draft they took 3rd T Chuma Edoga and 4th TE Trevon Wesco.

The net effect was that they blew 13 picks on offense over a 5 year span without getting a single plus NFL player on offense.

That's how you completely blow up a rebuild and destroy a young QB's chances to succeed.

We have no idea how good Sam Darnold is because he's been playing with the product of some of the worst drafts in Jets history. Yeah, he looks bad. Look at who was drafted around him. Does he look miles better than those guys? Yep.

11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

It is a valid concern. Who knows if Sam asked them to, if they were acting as his representatives, officially or otherwise. If they have cocooned him in a similar way all his life then perhaps he'll never develop the resilience he needs. If JD sought his parents out and said it to them without prompting then okay no problem, I can't see any other scenario where it doesn't at least suggest there might be an issue.

FlaJet likes this.
  12. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

The flaw in this logic is you are not getting the same player you drafted in 2018. Darnold has taken a beating these last three season (physically and mentally). His confidence looked completely shattered last year.

Mark Sanchez (who lived it) said a few months ago that the best decision for both Darnold and the Jets is to separate.

FlaJet likes this.
  13. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

The roster was bad, the coaching was bad, and Darnold played bad. All these things were true. Darnold was a big part of the reason the Jets went 2-14, don’t forget that.

REVISion and FlaJet like this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The biggest knock was and always will be is Gase.

#1094 K'OB, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  15. ZachMFWilson

I’ve never worked In the entertainment industry.

I’ve never had a job where it was the employer’s responsibility to “develop me”.

I’ve never had a job where I was guaranteed $20mm regardless of performance.

I’ve never had a job where my parents could watch me work.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I dunno, I think the Lions probably could have managed it, and right now, I'm pretty certain the Houston Texans could too. ;)

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How many teams have two 1st round picks this year? We do, does Jacksonville or Miami? If so, then I think we probably are the only 3. If JD trades down this year, it most likely will be for a 1st and 2nd round pick this year and a 1st and a 3rd or 2nd next year, and that's to move down to 8. Any further down than #8, and we should be talking about getting that team's 2023 1st round pick and maybe their 2nd or 3rd that year as well.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Where I'm coming from is that the #2 pick is worth that much, not necessarily that anyone will offer that (at least), so if I were JD that's what I would want. If a team that doesn't have two first rounders this year (and BTW, I would also want a first or high 2nd next year) they'd have to get busy and try to acquire that additional pick or I wouldn't trade with them. I'd prefer to keep the #2 rather than sell it cheap.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Yeah, that’s a load of crap. No quality people on offense, and an idiot for a coach.

20. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Its almost like they were trying to suck. Wow I don't know how a group of individuals with years of experience at scouting and drafting can be so bad at their job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.