Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Again I feel like Carson, Lindsay, etc. are a little different. All of the guys mentioned were clearly either on the downslope or just not good to begin with.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Why can't that leader come from the draft? We're not talking about a WR, CB, or Edge who need time to develop.

NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

It can. If their names are Harris or Etienne. Banking on a 3rd rounder ain’t smart business.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They're both 27 at the start of the season. Carson is consistently hurt regardless of the fact that he plays through it. His running style will not last much longer.

There's a trend with runningbacks nearing 27-28 and it's not just with the Jets decade long infatuation with stopgap solutions at the position.

abyzmul likes this.
  5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think Ty Johnson has a shot to be really good in the zone running scheme. He's got 4.3 speed and looked pretty explosive when he played last year.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Second and third rounders comprise the majority of the good to great runningbacks in the league. Mostly because teams know it's bad business to take one in the first.

Let's try another angle. How many free agent runningbacks experience a great deal of success on a second team?

IIMeanDeanII and joelip like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Yep.I stand corrected

8. ramjets29

ramjets29 Member

Carson would have been a terrific addition. We can always re-sign Frank or Le'Veon. ;) At this point I'd wait for the draft for a RB. I'm not sure any of the remaining guys are worth bringing in. James Connor, Leonard Fournette, Damien Williams, Todd Gurley, Mike Davis, Wayne Gallman - no thanks. Maybe they bring in one of the SF backs on the cheap since they have experience in the system but I'm not sure any of them are better than what we have - Tevin Coleman, Matt Brieda, Jerrick McKinnon.

joelip likes this.
  9. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Personally I am not a fan of Etienne....I would rather snag Javonte Williams (??) out of UNC

ouchy and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

I didn’t say it’s not possible I’m saying it shouldn’t be the only option you give yourself. I also don’t think we are going to have a bell cow so I’m not expecting us to go with Etienne and Harris. Guys like Carson and Lindsay could be very food top options in a committee. I prefer going with proven guys, which also doesn’t mean we’re forbidden from draftibg them.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah I don't buy that. I'd need to hear it from Douglas to believe it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Personally I think josh Adam’s is going to excel in lafleur”s offense. Wouldn’t hurt my feelings if we didn’t add one until late in the draft

13. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

How many roster spots do we have open? I believe we had over 20 free agents. We have signed maybe 7-8 players. We are not only losing on the top free agents, but we are also missing on the secondary depth guys. The 1 yr deal guys that are going for bargains, Ju Ju for 10 mil, 1 yr. He would be here. Thuney played Douglas, he was not quick with a backup plan. Lawson is OK, Leonard Williams was in the house when JD came here. Much better player, we could have probably signed him to a similar contract when JD got here. Davis over Anderson? Toss-up. It seems that Douglas is not worth Fxck in neg. He might be good at drafting but that is only half his job at GM.Even at drafting we all hope these guys step up however. Mims had 22 catches last yr and no tds, Becton has his injuries issues, plus a lot of hope with the rest of the draft. Every team feels the same about their picks last yr for the most part

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I agree, he has 4.4 speed and that’s exactly what this offense relies on, multiple speed backs that can get to the edge quickly and turn upfield.

FJF and abyzmul like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Tough to get that Raiders game out of mind when Johnson/Adams tag teamed it pretty well. Adams running style reminds me a bit of Carson.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  17. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Adams also was pretty good when given the chance with the eagles. I think the dude can play as well.

FJF likes this.
  18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Better get used to it, it’s what we are going to see a lot more of this year.

19. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Let’s not forget joe Douglas has been stashing Adams for 2 years. I doubt it’s for his health.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The great Denver backs were mostly late round picks. Mike Shanahan liked to draft RB's with speed to be his gunners on special teams. Probably figured RB's from small colleges would love the opportunity to hit people in the NFL after taking hits all through college.

Terrell Davis - 5th round, Olandis Gary - 4th round, Mike Anderson - 6th round, for about 7 years from 1995-2001 Shanahan had a Pro Bowl back every year without spending a premium pick.

chandler, FJF and Red Menace like this.