Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

And why not fill the roster out with better players than what's probably going to be left when he gets around to thinking the prices are right?

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Juju is a clear skills/age upgrade over Crowder. Not the biggest fan of the antics but as others have said he's not some bad guy, just immature.

Still would like the Jets to upgrade at least one guard spot. I don't think we can hope to upgrade both of them via the draft. It's possible but not a chance I'd like to take. It's not the end of the world if one of our guards is on the older side, I think it would be worth it to get 3-4 solid years out of a guy to improve the line for a rookie QB during his formative years.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

I've spoken about the QB class next year and it won't compare to this year's class. It would take miraculous improvement on a number of QB's parts for it to become even close to this draft class.

Here's the list of potential FA QBs in 2022. It isn't pretty. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2022/all/quarterback/

This is the year to get a QB.

jilozzo likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

Well Crowder has been the Jets' most reliable WR the last two seasons and Sam and he have great chemistry. IMO it wouldn't help Sam any to cut Crowder. It would be taking away his main security blanket.

ukjetsfan and ouchy like this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its bananas to say when you give your opponent a reason to get fired up its a dumb move? When you do it over and over its selfish, and a loser move. I said he played "a key part" in those loses - because he did. You don't give your opponent extra fire to play you. That is NFL 101. That is not the type of player you build a champion with.

If you don't agree with me its easy enough to say that. I consider your disagreement a good sign. To you, improving my postings means "agree with me".

#1145 ouchy, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Footballgod214 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Sorry, Red, but trading Mosley will cost the Jets dead money. It won't free up any. If they trade him before June 1, they'll take a dead money charge of $12.5 million. If they trade him post June 1, they'll take a dead money charge of $8 million. Mosley's not going anywhere unless some teams blows the Jets away with an offer, which I don't see happening.

As I've said in other posts, JD's approach is great in any other year of FA, but not this year, imo. This year presents a golden opportunity to make the team immediately better at reasonable costs and would be sustainable. I think he's making a big mistake due to his consevative nature.

7. NCJetsfan

I disagree with the bold. The prices some players were asking was obviously too much to JD, but not for other teams, and they were reasonable figures for the most part. Thuney got crazy money, so I'm not talking about Thuney. I'm talking about Curtis Samuel, Tyus Bowser, Jayon Brown, and others. I wonder if he even called the Raiders regarding Gabe Jackson.

Hopefully, JD signs 2-3 of those guys, but I'll believe it when I see it. I think he is being too cheap, too conservative.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

It will free up 16 million in 2022. If we are going to move Mosley, it has to be this season.

jilozzo likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Teams have lost games due to bulletin board quotes and doing stuff like that. It also shows that he isn't totally focused on his own game and getting better. That kind of crap gets other teams more fired up than they normally would be. It's dumb and he shouldn't do it.

10. NCJetsfan

Signing RBs in FA is a waste of cap space and FA $s. RB is literally the easiest position in the NFL for a rookie to come in, start day one and play at a high level. It might be worth doing if this wasn't a good draft class for RBs and/or we didn't have our full complement of picks, but this is a great draft class for RBs and we have 9 picks. IMO there is zero reason to sign a RB in FA. Draft a young kid with fresh legs and ride him, and the others the Jets have.

barfolomew likes this.
  11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I believe those numbers are if he’s cut, if he’s traded the numbers are different.

https://overthecap.com/player/c-j-mosley/2956/

barfolomew likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Spot on.

Noam likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

You're right. My bad. Thanks for the correction. I thought it was the same regardless, but do see now that the Jets would save $1.5 million if traded pre-June 1, and $6 million if traded post June 1.

barfolomew likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Don't you think Tomlin chewed his ass? If Tomlin couldn't handle him as an experienced HC, why would a rookie HC like Saleh be able to?

barfolomew, REVISion and ouchy like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

You're right that there's nothing bad about what he says or has done, but I wouldn't say it's "harmless" because it fires up the other team when they may have been more complacent. Teams lose games due to bulletin board material. Hopefully, if the Jets sign him, he will mature and become a leader. He certainly has talent, would be a great fit in the offense, and it would be awesome to have a WR corps of Mims, Davis, and JuJu.

16. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. Mims needs to play. He proved last year that he was ready to play. He ran great routes and beat some of the best CBs in the league last year, but Sam rarely looked his way. He has great hands and he's a great blocker. He needs to be on the field.

barfolomew likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Tomlin lost that team sometime over the last 2-3 years. That whole Pittsburgh environment hasn’t been right since before Ben went down with an injury two years ago. I’m not saying we have the perfect environment because lord knows we don’t but a different voice could do wonders for some people.

18. NCJetsfan

It couldn't be! Don't you know that posters here said that if we drafted a rookie QB this year he would be walking into the exact same situation that Sam did?

Noam likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Depth is a necessity. It would be one thing if the Jets were tight against the cap and didn't have the cap space. They still have $50 million and could wind up cutting Lewis and Griffin and have another $7-$8 million in cap space. Davis missed games last year as did Mims. If they missed a game or games this year, JuJu could move to their spot, and I think most would rather have Crowder rather than Berrios in the slot.

barfolomew likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Yes, but there are no guarantees that JD will draft a WR. We could have wound up without one this past year if some other team had taken Mims after JD traded down. But that is something that definitely could be done.

barfolomew likes this.