MLB Offseason Thread 2006-2007

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by FITM, Oct 31, 2006.

1. nyscene911

nyscene911 Active Member

Does losing out on Zito suck-yes. But should we have signed him for 7 at 18per. NO FUCKING WAY. I'm sorry, but thats just ridiculous for him. A 1985 Doc Gooden today would be worth 18 million per. A Zito is not.

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Another point to consider is that even if the Mets start the year with the current rotation, that doesn't mean that it will be the one down the stretch or in the postseason (if applicable). Every year in June and July pitchers become available when teams drop out of the race, and there's nothing that prevents the Mets making a deal then.

Anything's possible, but given their lineup and relief pitching, I will certainly be surprised if the Mets are out of the race by July (and if they are, one starter wouldn't have mattered anyway).

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

You overpaid for an again, declining Pedro and he might be done. Why not overpay for Zito? The mets were willing to pay almost that much for an unproven Japanese guy. This will be a big miss for the Mets if they don't have something else up their sleeves, I would guess Omar has a backup plan but who could they get as good as Zito right now? Not that Zito is great but he is a very good SP and has been a very good postseason pitcher and would instantly be the Mets #1 starter.

the only thing about that is you can't expect it to be as easy as last year, maybe you are 5 games out instead of 10 games up at the deadline. I think they need to make a move before the season, it doesn't have to be a blockbuster but they need a front end guy- not necessarily a #1 but a solid 2 would be nice. I don't know if it is possible but they need to make a move.

4. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Zito got double the years and double the money. Pedro is twice as good. You figure it out.

5. nyjunc

Not at the point the mets signed him, up through '01 w/o a doubt but it's been a long time since Pedro has been a top pitcer and Zito's possteason #s are better than pedro's. Give me Zito in a big game any day over pedro(last 5 years pedro).

6. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

You are nuts.

7. nyjunc

When is the last time Pedro was a true big time pitcher? it's been since '01 and he hasn't been good in postseason and he has done nothing for the Mets except give them higher attendance when he pitches.

8. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

If the Cubs can give a defensive liability corner OFer that posted a career best .911 OPS last year at 30 years of age an 8 year 140 mil deal what's so outrageous about the Mets paying that price for Zito?

9. statjeff22

I don't see why the Mets' record in June or July has anything to do with signing a pitcher. A five game lead can be made up easily, especially if the problem is that the Mets don't have a frontline pitcher (that must mean that the rest of the staff is doing pretty well). On the other hand, if the Mets fall just short of the playoffs in 2007, Omar will deserve the blame he will get.

One thing that has now become clear is that Omar didn't "whiff" on this signing at all. According to him, the Mets weren't willing to go to even 6 years, let alone 7. Maybe the fact that the Mets will be paying Pedro for years that he might not be effective has made them decide that they'd rather not sign pitchers in decline to longterm contracts (and there is no doubt that Zito is in decline - every number points to it).

10. statjeff22

Haven't you ever hears the phrase "So, if your friend jumped off the Empire State Building, would you too?"? Personally, I think the Giants will be regretting this deal for many years to come, and I wouldn't be surprised if Zito does too (he has lost about 15 winning games by his team each year by crossing the Bay Bridge).

11. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

As I said, it's a horrible deal that makes absolutely no sense from a Giants perspective. The fans should be calling for Sabeans overrated head. I think if you're the Mets you could've justified the cost though.

I've got to believe it's the length of the deal that caused the Mets to balk, when you're willing to pay a closer over 10m a year in the FA market I can't see 18M for a frontish end of the rotation starter being out of your price range.

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Only desperate teams overpay that much for a player. The Mets are far from desperate right now, there was no need to overpay that much. This is the kind of deal that both parties will regret making in a couple years.. Kinda like the ARod deal.

13. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

It turns out McGwire may not have been juicing, but the baseballs were.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_y...LYF?slug=ap-juicedbaseballs&prov=ap&type=lgns

14. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Ahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahaha! Ahahahahahahahahahah! Pull the other one, he's *allegedly* a dirty cheat and I'd be apalled to see him in the Hall. Still, I can hardly say too much, given my own team's use of Sammy Sosa - at least we humiliated him before dumping him.

#354 ScotsJet, Jan 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  15. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Adam LaRoche traded for Mike Gonzalez.

16. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Sammy Corka is negotiating a minor league contract with the Texas Rangers...

17. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Sammy So Seductive

18. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

it was announced earlier that they'd agreed to a minor league contract, I think.

19. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Report: Rangers, Sosa agree to deal

According to MLB.com, the Rangers and Sammy Sosa have agreed in principal to a minor league contract.
    Sosa will only be guaranteed $500,000 if he makes the team, though he could command substantially more in incentives. A deal could be finalized before the end of the week. Jan. 17 - 5:56 pm et
    Source: Rangers.mlb.com

20. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

CUbs sign Cliff Floyd:

Cubs signed outfielder Cliff Floyd, who had been with the Mets, to a one-year, $3 million contract with a mutual option for 2008.

Floyd followed up a .273/.358/.505 season in 2005 by batting .244/.324/.407 in 332 at-bats in an injury-filled 2006. Since he'll remain a weak bet to stay healthy as an outfielder, the Cubs would be smart to sit him against the occasional right-hander in favor of Matt Murton. Murton will definitely play over him against lefties. Both players could end up receiving 350-400 at-bats. Jan. 24 - 4:08 pm et