Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

There is always a need for FAs to fill roles. Ideally the big FA push is at the end of the rebuild though, not the beginning.

What we need to develop right now is a young core of all pros who are also leaders. This draft we have 3 top 34 picks to build on that process. The #2 pick alone should net us a guaranteed top player/immediate all pro, assuming we don't use it on a QB.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Maybe Zach Wilson will become that top player/immediate All Pro. We would all sign up for that! :cool:

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This clearly further cements my comments but damn that is crazy to see in black and white.

The only player that hurt this go around was Thuney, but realistically we were never in the running if we were going up against Kansas City.

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Maybe he will - "maybe" being the key word. He is a roll of the dice. You can use the #2 pick on a dice roll after you have a solid core developing.

(This is not specifically aimed at you DK - but at everyone)

You don't use the #2 pick on "maybe" right now - not where we are. This is where I fear JD is losing sight of a proper rebuild. Its also where I feel this fan base is losing sight. There is an irrational QB frenzy happening across Jets nation.

Let me ask the fan base this one question. If you had to make the second pick which would you choose:

Zack Wilson or Randy Moss?

You will have other chances to get a Zack Wilson.

This is your only chance to get a Randy Moss.

What would you do?

Can we please do this right?

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

umm Randy Moss is not in this draft. He was already drafted in 1998 by the Minnesota Vikings. Yeah I'd rather have him, duh, but we can't go back in time

#885 BrowningNagle, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Is that Randy Moss coupled with Darnold?

Not sure Randy Moss would be doing all of that going off what we have seen so far from Sam :)

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I read Jets and NE were battling hard for Thuney, with Thuney either going back to NE or moving on to the Jets. JD was pushing hard for him. Then KC rolled in very last second with a killer offer. Rest is history. I'm sure JD was pissed...he had put a LOT of time into this. Last year too b4 NE tagged him.

But JD is definitely looking to beef up the oline, particularly at the guard slots. He'll probably be forced to turn to the draft, and I know JD hates being in any kind of a 'must draft' position. He might still pick up a tier 2 guard in FA, just to give him back his draft flexibility he craves.

I could actually see JD trading for a good guard, maybe even as part of the Sam trade.

#887 Footballgod214, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I definitely understand this view. You can even trade down, get an extra 1st round pick, plus a potential All Pro. It is definitely an option.

What if your choices are Brett Favre or Randy Moss? Then you take Brett Favre and have a franchise QB.

Again, I trust Joe Douglas. So if he takes Wilson, it means he believes he will be the guy for the next decade+. If he doesn't, then I would support that too.

ColoradoContrails, cval and ouchy like this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

That is because everything on this board is filtered through the lens of next season - and not 2 or 3 seasons down the road. People are trying to rush the rebuild and that is where we will fail. We have to accept that his season will have some growing pains and we wont be complete.

Next years draft should be all about QBs. This year we work on the core.

10. K'OB

So you want Randy Moss in 3 seasons before we have a guy that can utilise the fact he is Randy Moss and then you sign the QB you think is right and then have a rookie QB season and Randy Moss is on the 4th year of his contract, does that not also seem a bit of a waste of talent to you?

It is an interesting take, I guess.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I know that is a common theme, but to me if JD uses the #2 pick on a guy that has never even faced a true D1 defense then my faith in him will plummet. He will be risking all that capital to try and roll boxcars. It makes no sense in where we are in the rebuild.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Oh for sure we were going hard at him and I'm comfortable saying that he likely would have signed with us if it were just NE and the Jets.

As soon as KC joined, it was over. We were never a consideration at that point.

I don't necessarily believe the reports that KC just jumped in at the last second. To spend that kind of money on a guy like him, I am positive KC has been involved quietly for some time

13. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Damn....A.J. Green to Zona

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If declined, that sounds like the Seahawks aren't thinking of trading him at all.

REVISion, K'OB and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  15. K'OB

It seemed a good deal on paper tbh

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

How did taking a QB next draft become in 4 seasons?

You want Moss on your team when you draft the rookie QB. That way he is set to succeed.

Devonta Smith is Jerry RIce and Randy Moss rolled into one player. A true generational talent. You only get one chance a generation to draft this type of player, and even then, what are the odds of having the draft position to get him? This is our only chance to score what will likely be the best WR in the league. Right here - right now.

17. K'OB

Damn? Why?

A.J.Green to the sickbay zone, more likely.

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I thought that was Jeudy? How did he do last season?

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Since when is the drafting of all other non-QB positions a guarantee?

And even if I agreed with your implication that Moss is the best WR in history, if you missed out on getting him, your team wouldn't be consigned to losing because there are plenty of other great WRs that you could have. Not like QBs, which are much harder to acquire,

Nor is there any guarantee that the majority of the picks you received for the #2 pick will pan out, let alone all of them.

I will say that if Douglas doesn't believe Wilson (or any of the other QBs) can be his FQB, then of course he should trade back and pick up more assets, but if Zack Wilson is as good as has been predicted, it's a bad deal to give him up for a handful of uncertainty.

To answer your question: I take Zack Wilson, over the as yet unproven Randy Moss.

Noam, REVISion and HomeoftheJets like this.
  20. K'OB

Probably because of this sentence tbh
    So now I'm going to ask you a question

Why are other posters on this board so wrong to think of taking Wilson with the #2 because of risks but you get to say Devonta Smith is Jerry Rice and Randy Moss rolled into one lol get the fuck out of here.

You are entitled to your opinion, just like the guys who want Wilson are but I know which claim is the most outrageous.

Just to clear things up, I am not on the Wilson boat either btw.