Deshaun Watson Mega Thread (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Feb 5, 2021.

?

What would you give up for Watson?

1. #2 pick in 2021 Draft Only

7.9%
  2. #2 pick plus another 1st Rounder

24.6%
  3. #2 pick plus 2 other 1st Rounders

34.1%
  4. #2 pick plus 3 other 1st Rounders

5.6%
  5. To Hell with Watson. Stay put

27.8%
  1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Of course he can quit, and the courts wouldn't force him to perform the contract. I wrote that very thing in the post you quoted so how is that a dispute to what I wrote when it actually addresses that?

I'm curious how you think this is relevant to any discussion of contract law and how threatening to not perform legally obligated services that one voluntarily contracts to do would be deemed consideration in a verbal contract despite contradicting the definition of consideration.

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

If he continues to insist that he won’t ever play there, then it’s in the team’s best interest to trade him for the best haul they can get. Watson is a top 3 asset as either a franchise QB on the field, or what value he can bring back the team if he were traded. If they decided to play hardball, the asset is worthless and will lose value the longer they do it.

I’ve read the Texans boards and twitter, and the majority of fans agree with Watson that the team has been run terribly over the last few years. You should google the SI article on Jack Easterby, it’s a pretty interesting read. I’m sure some fans would be upset if he forces his way out but they would atleast understand if Watson makes it clear that he’s done there. Everyone would be up in arms if the team does nothing and they don’t have the QB or the haul of picks.

Bottom line, the Texans are forced to make the make the first move in my eyes if Watson wants to dig in and refuse to play. The Texans can let him rot if they choose, but teams usually would rather move on and get a haul back for a malcontent. Don’t see why this would be any different

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. JetBlue

You’re confusing the fact that fans understand why he wants out with believing the fans want to see him traded. There’s no way those fans want to see him traded simply because they agree the team is run poorly.

Watson certainly doesn’t become a worthless asset because they don’t trade him. Teams will still attempt to trade for him and likely would increase the offer. Maybe if he sat for a few years his value would drop because of a legitimate concern he’s been out of football too long, but in the near future his value remains high.

And to make sure we’re on the same page, I absolutely believe they are going to eventually trade him after trying to get him to stay. My position is that Watson is such an elite talent that his value remains high even if the Texans draw this out a little while, and they certainly don’t lack leverage in the situation. The bluff is entirely on Watson’s end that he will never report because he has far more to lose long term than the team.

cval likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It goes without saying that Watson can't play for another NFL team while he's under contract with the Texans. Though would that hold for another professional football league? In hockey, I recall Ilya Kovalchuk breaking his Devils contract to play in Russia.

5. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I just think you’re underestimating how most Texans fans view their own team right now...it’s worse than any of the Jets situations I’ve seen. The majority are pissed that Watson wants out and it’s come this, not pissed AT him, but at the team.

The Texans can’t afford to let him hold out for years to come because of the backlash from the fans/ media (which is against them already and will only get much worse), not for any monetary reasons. They also will be handicapping their product on the field for as many years as they let Watson sit out too...Sure the picks will eventually come whenever they decide to trade him, but picks now are worth more than picks years down the line as we know.

You’re right that Watson has a lot of money to lose but I would be shocked if the Texans just simply did nothing if both the team and Watson decided to dig in.

I agree with you that in the short term the Texans have the leverage, but even though Watson has more money to lose in the long term, the Texans have everything else to lose (Terrible football team, horrible PR) and therefore Watson has more leverage if he truly wants out. It just may not be when he wants out.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. JetBlue

You are correct, the contract only applies to the NFL. He is more than free to see if he can make as much money, and garner the same historic applause, in the CFL or the local amateur league.

cval likes this.
  7. JetBlue

As dumb as the Texans are they aren’t dumb enough to not trade him but they do have to try and keep him. He’s simply too good not to — no matter how many picks they get back for him they’d not only have to hit on most but also get a great QB to ever make the value comparable.

but if he stands pat and doesn’t report, there will certainly be an offer on the table that on paper is a trade that makes it look like they got amazing value.

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

The QB market isn’t very good in free Agency. That #2 pick getting more and more valuable

9. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

That's a lot of money for a backup...

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yes it is.. they are definetely trading Watson.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Let's just hope JD is in on it. Watson plus a few guards and we suddenly have a competent offense. This also makes since with JD not going spend crazy with the cap.

PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Cue the meltdowns.

13. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Yup the trade is happening very soon. They’re probably taking a QB at #2 and letting him sit while Taylor starts next year. Hopefully he’s a Jet by next week

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

So if the cap doesn't explode as much as they hope the pat could be in deep trouble next year.

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Watson can't be forced to play but he could be forced to return his signing bonus...and if he refuses for whatever reason he could end up in the slammer! What prison would they send him to? Could it be worse than playing in NY? hahahaha

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...al-with-tyrod-taylor-mean-for-deshaun-watson/

What does Houston’s deal with Tyrod Taylor mean for Deshaun Watson?
    Posted by Myles Simmons on March 16, 2021, 5:54 PM EDT

Aside from one minor lapse from head coach David Culley, the Texans have not wavered in their stance that quarterback Deshaun Watson is not available for a trade.

But when Culley used the two magic words — “right now” — to describe Watson’s status with Houston last week, it signaled the team might realize trading Watson is in the organization’s best interest.

In agreeing to sign quarterback Tyrod Taylor to an incentive-laden deal worth up to a reported $12.5 million, the Texans have crafted an insurance policy for the game’s most important position. If Houston were to trade Watson, they would at least have Taylor as a signal-caller with 47 games of starting experience. Plus, Taylor worked with Houston’s quarterbacks coach/passing game coordinator Pep Hamilton with the Chargers last year, so there’s familiarity with the team’s staff.

But as Peter King pointed out on Tuesday’s episode of PFT PM, the Texans bringing in Taylor could also be a message of, “Go ahead and sit,” to Watson.

Watson would incur hefty financial penalties if he were to sit out the 2021 season instead of playing for Houston. But he and the Texans are clearly at an impasse. If Jalen Ramsey — who shares an agent with Watson — is to be believed, the quarterback is “extremely serious” about not suiting up for the Texans again.

By signing Taylor, the Texans could be signaling they’re willing to part with Watson for the right price. Or they just might be further digging in their heels in their stance that Watson will be their quarterback or he won’t play — whether he likes it or not.

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The Texans paying a guy 12 million on a one year deal does not sound like they are trading or planning on taking a top QB this draft. Why would you pay a guy like Taylor 12 million if your going to draft top QB? On the surface it looks like they are playing hardball with Watson. They signed insurance if he sits this year. But with the Texans who knows?

18. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

It's less than half that if he does not play.

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Watson goes to the Patriots, unless that was because he refused to come here, Douglas should be shot into outer space.

Snatch Catch and JetBlue like this.