Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Always with the drama.

REVISion likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If I had a dollar for every time someone said they'd stop following the team if the franchise did X I'd buy you all Blair Thomas jerseys.

PJ4Ever, Pags2112, Ralebird and 8 others like this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If you are still here after the (2-14) Gase-led 2020 pandemic season, you are never getting out! :D

PJ4Ever, Pags2112, Ptflea2 and 4 others like this.
  4. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Good find/post. Thank you. Appreciate it and enjoyed watching it.

I like watching Robby Sabo videos and some years back he was a large part in making me realize just how awful the Jets OL was and how fixing that should really be a priority.

Of particular interest here was how his evaluation of Wilson was 100% polar opposite of that ex scout from Giants somebody posted last week that was worried that Wilson never throws receivers open and that is a recipe for disaster in the NFL. Here is Sabo making the case that Wilson is the best/only one of the 2021 QB crop that consistently does that and that is the main REASON for drafting him. Good god. Without even worrying about who is right and who is mistaken I guess that right there shows you how much of a crapshoot the NFL draft is and how everybody is wrong a lot of the time on these kids and how they will adapt to being pros.

PJ4Ever, NCJetsfan and Br4d like this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

(click link for full article)
    NFL mock draft 2021: Carolina Panthers trade with New York Jets to upgrade at quarterback (msn.com)

NFL mock draft 2021: Carolina Panthers trade with New York Jets to upgrade at quarterback
    Nate Davis, USA TODAY 9 hrs ago

By seemingly every account, the 2021 NFL draft's suspense truly begins at pick No. 2, currently held by the New York Jets. (If you don’t follow college football – or are emerging from a years-long coma – Trevor Lawrence, ticketed as this draft’s No. 1 pick for years, is earmarked for Jacksonville.)

But the NYJ have a fascinating variety of options. My esteemed colleague Mike Middlehurst-Schwartz had them taking BYU’s Zach Wilson in his most recent mock. I’ve had the Jets going with Oregon's Penei Sewell, then went with their best-case scenario in my subsequent mock – obtaining Houston Texans QB Deshaun Watson in a package that included the No. 2 pick.

This time, I'll send the Jets down a different path – one where they decide to give it another go with incumbent QB Sam Darnold while leveraging the pick for draft assets to hasten their resurrection. Their trade partner, the Panthers – Carolina tried to obtain Matthew Stafford and has been heavily linked to Watson – comes up to No. 2. The Panthers send the Jets the No. 8 pick, a Round 3 selection and their 2022 first-rounder.

[​IMG]

Wilson was a three-year starter for BYU.

With that, let's Keep Pounding.

1. Jacksonville Jaguars – Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson: The rehab on his surgically repaired non-throwing shoulder is going well, and he learned the Jags franchised LT Cam Robinson to protect him next season. Next? Lawrence will surely be curious to see how new coach Urban Meyer and GM Trent Baalke spend their league-high $73 million in cap space.

2. Carolina Panthers [PROJECTED TRADE with New York Jets] – Zach Wilson, QB, BYU: RB Christian McCaffrey told USA TODAY Sports this week that current QB1 Teddy Bridgewater is "a hell of a quarterback." That’s great, but coach Matt Rhule has been far more tepid, from noncommittal comments at the Senior Bowl to what he said this week. "Teddy is a tremendous professional, and a tremendous person," Rhule said. "I think he's controlling what he can control. ... We're going to continue to try to improve the roster at every position, through free agency, through the draft, and through development." Wilson is a far better athlete and much more dynamic thrower than Bridgewater and could very well provide the improvement under center Rhule clearly covets.

3. Miami Dolphins (from Texans) – Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU:

8. Jets [PROJECTED TRADE with Panthers] – Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama:
    New York has finished last in total offense each of the past two seasons and hasn’t had a 1,000-yard receiver since Brandon Marshall in 2015. So how about giving Darnold help, pairing Waddle with 2020 second-round WR Denzel Mims and reasonably giving the young QB a shot to succeed with bona fide weapons in new OC Mike LaFleur’s offense.

11. New York Giants – DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama:

15. New England Patriots – Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame:

18. Dolphins – Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State:

23. Jets (from Seattle Seahawks) – Najee Harris, RB, Alabama:
    Did we mention getting help for Darnold, who had New York’s longest run by far (46 yards) of the 2020 season? Harris is a bruising runner, reliable pass catcher and capable in protection – all attributes that would enable the new regime to determine whether or not Darnold is the franchise savior the previous regime thought him to be

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I get that. In my case, however, I was ready to quit following them several times over the years with Bradway, then Tanny's always trading up and leaving the cupboard bare, then Idzik, then Mac. got my hopes up when Rex was hired, and then was crushed. When the Jets 14 draft picks and Idzik was the GM, I thought this is the draft that could very well change the Jets' fortunes and set them up for the next 5-10 years, even though I had little confidence in Idzik. I hated his hiring, but still had hopes that if nothing else, he'd get lucky. Then was crushed when his draft was perhaps the worst in NFL history. Then came Bowles & Morton, then Bates, then Gase, being Kotite-level bad, and almost going winless this past season.

After Leon Hess was a disaster for 40 years or more, the Johnsons have pretty much been complete disasters.

To my knowledge, JD is the best-qualified GM that the Jets have ever hired. I was so excited when he was interested in becoming our GM. I probably would have already quit following this team if he hadn't become our new GM. He is really the only thing that gave me any hope to continue following and rooting for the Jets. He has had an encouraging start to me. The Johnsons have stepped back and given him control. He changed their scouting paradigm, he was able to hire the new HC, and this new CS looks awesome. He has hired this new guy to run the development dept. and the training guy from the Niners, and together, they should pay big dividends for making players healthier and faster, if the hires are any good. There are 5-6 excellent if not great QB prospects in this draft. If he doesn't think that any of them are worthy of the #2 pick or worthy of taking, and makes the decision to roll with Sam, I will be completely gutted, gobsmacked, my hopes crushed, whatever adjective you want to use. I will lose all trust in him and his knowledge.

In my 55 years of watching the NFL, studying draft picks over the last 15-20 years. I think I have learned quite a bit about building teams, which positions are most important, and have developed a pretty good eye for talent. When coupled with my work in training others to use their talents and bodies in a certain way, I feel confident that Sam is not going to ever succeed with the Jets, and probably never come anywhere near the potential that people thought they saw in him. I don't mean this to be offensive to anyone here, but the following is just how I think. Deciding to roll with Sam and not draft a QB this year would in my estimation be a move that would show that JD's talent-evaluation skills are lacking, his football knowledge is lacking, his common sense is lacking, and he's just not competent to be an NFL GM. With every fibre of my being I think and feel that.

I have spent entirely too much of my time, life, and energy reading and writing about the Jets and on Jets' fan sites over the last 25 years. I have probably haver averaged somewhere between 20-30 hours a week on the Jets, and my personal and professional life have suffered as a result. Not being married, I could do that. At the time, I enjoyed it, but looking back, I now regret having spent all that time. What good did it do? Following this team and spending all that time and energy reading and writing about it has changed my personality. I used to be a really nice guy, and now have become the type of poster that I hated earlier on Jets' sites. In some ways, the best thing that could happen to me (and probably to all of you, and I know it would be for abyzmul, dierking, back to queens, and a few others), would be for him to make the decision to go with Sam, as that would lead to me abandoning my hopes for this team to ever get it right, and I would totally lose any and all desire to follow the Jets, so would stop following or caring about this team. Then you'd be free from me and how I have become like Mr. Electric and some of those other jerks who used to post here when I was just a lurker.

For Douglas to decide to roll with Sam, imo it would be akin to my wife committing adultery and cheating on me. All trust would be broken. Even if I forgave her, I doubt that I'd have any desire to trust her again.I just won't be willing to give the energy or have the desire to follow the Jets any more. They have caused me enough grief, agita, and heartache for two lifetimes. I have been very blessed in my life. The only persistent downer and source of stress and frustration has been the Jets. If JD proves to me to be incompetent, it wouldn't be mentally or emotionally healthy to stay invested in this team, and I can't be like some of you and become jaded and cynical and just laugh at their stupidity. I chose to become a Jets fan when I was 11 years old, and I can choose to no longer be a Jets fan at 66. I strive to learn and grow in my life, and not stay stuck. If I am shown that my ways of thinking or living are injurious to me or others, I seek to change.

Regardless of what happens, I need to spend less time here and following the Jets, so choosing to leave would be a pretty easy choice.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're welcome! I thought it was interesting. As is usually the case, I think the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle of the two extremes between Sabo and the former Giants' scout. For the record, last night I watched another one of Anita Marks' shows that had the same former Giants' scout on it and they were going over the TE prospects in the upcoming draft. I thought his comments were much better, more consistent in this one. Even so, some of his choices were a little odd. Supposedly, they were reviewing the top TE prospects, and he didn't even look at much video of Hunter Long (and none of Tremble's) and most of the rankings I've seen have Long as between the #3 and #5 TE prospect after Pitts, Freiermuth, and Jordan and maybe Tremble. Instead, he reviewed Tony Poljan. He revealed that he was an area scout, and was greatly influenced by relationships he developed with coaches (rather than seemingly staying objective and detached - my words, not his). It is interesting and crazy just how differently we here see things regarding the draft, FA, team needs, and how differently people view getting vaccinated and in politics.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it!

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked and disappointed if Douglas gives up the #2 pick for that little. That pick alone is worth two first rounders this year, plus a low first or high 2nd next year.

9. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

ColoradoContrails, I agree 100%!!! I would be very pissed off if JD made any sort of deal comparable to that.

10. Footballgod214

I guess it depends on how far down he trades. Colts gave up the #3 overall for a couple 2nd rounders.

But either way, I like getting 2022 and even 2023 draft picks if we trade down. This draft is such a covid-cluster-fuck. I really don't even know how JD can properly evaluate players. So much of that player evaluation comes from 2020 game film, combine, prodays, and sit-downs in person with the top picks. Almost all of that is non-existent this year. JD will be considering players that never took one snap in 2020 and he can't even meet with any of them in person. Yikes!

patleahy likes this.
  11. patleahy

I have said it before, and I will say it again, Footballgod214....u have one of the best avatars on the entire board.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'd swap with Carolina for their 2nd and 3rd this year, and their 1st and 2nd next year. Less then that and I would be wary (maybe this years third could be as low as a 5th).

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Actually the Colts gave up their first rounder plus three seconds - two in 2018 and 1 in 2019 - and that was just to move up 3 spots. The Panthers would be moving up 6 spots, and getting their choice of anyone but Lawrence. To move that far they would need to work a trade or two to get another 2021 first round pick in addition to their #8, and at least a second rounder in 2021, plus their first next year, and maybe throw in Bridgewater.

As to evaluations, it will be harder, but the biggest problem is for those players who didn't play in 2020, either because they sat out, or their team did. No Combine also hurts, but I think GMs can find what they need to with Pro days and private work outs.

14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I'm relatively new to this forum, but for many years I have read and enjoyed your posts, so much so that I consider you as I would a friend. I don't always agree with you, but for the most part I have. I'm glad you recognized your recent tendency to step over the line of mutual respect on many of your posts. It's one thing to call the author of a post stupid, or idiotic or ridiculous which you have not done, but you have resorted to calling opinions and positions to be stupid, idiotic, ridiculous, etc. which by extension can be taken to mean anyone holding that position is stupid, idiotic and ridiculous. I was going to call you out on it, but it shows great strength of character that you called yourself out.

I know that you have great passion for the Jets, otherwise you would not have invested the time to write what you feel, as well as sharing articles, so many times on these pages. If you were to quit, which being a Jet fan I don't think is possible anymore than a person can sprout gills and live with the fishes, I know I would miss your presence here. When I look at the thread index and see your name as the last to post, I always check it out. 30 years ago, I was stricken with cancer and was saved from doom by dedicated doctors who developed a treatment for what I had. I'm still here rooting for the Jets. Maybe they didn't do me any favors, LOL. From the experience, I learned that there are some things in life you can't control no matter how much you desire to do so. The NY Jets is one of those things. Ownership is going to do what it's going to do, the GM is going to do what he's going to do, and the coach is going to do what he's going to do. Nothing we do as fans is going to change that. For us, we take joy in giving our allegiance to the team and being able to connect (and commiserate) with others who love the Jets.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Footballgod214

Thanks! I had an even better one that got banned during the me-too movement!

patleahy likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

Sure hope so....but some of these picks are really close....so not having a lot of film or access will cause a lot of GMs to throw darts at the board blindfolded. Well, more blindfolded than usual!

#876 Footballgod214, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  17. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Probably my first post in more than 10 years. I am old,old,old. I have spent most of my life in NYC and have been following,watching,attending sports for more than 70 years. I have seen it all. That doesn't make me any kind of expert, on any sport, but I do have a lot of experience on which to base opinions. You don't have to worry, there is not an iota of a chance Darnold is the jets starting qback in 2022. He may start 2021 as I absolutely expect JD to draft a QB at #2, and the rookie might need to sit a while behind an experienced player. Could be Darnold, could be someone else. He may keep Darnold if he feels he can't get value before/during the draft.

I categorically state they are not trading for Watson, unless they steal him. In my long lifetime I have seen great QB take good teams far into the playoffs. I have seen Good QB take great teams far into he playoffs. In fact I have seen bad QB take great teams to the championship games. But I don't recall a great QB taking a bad team very far. GOOD is good enough if your team is very good. So JD must get at least a good QB and develop a very good/great team. He will never have a better chance at getting a good QB than this year. His choice might be wrong, but that is for history to decide. But he is making the choice this year. He is not trading back if he has a definite and strong opinion on one of the QB. And the other draft picks over the next couple of years plus free agency allow him to maybe replace 10-12 players. Add 12 new players (they are supposed to be at least good) to the small number of good players already on the team (Anywhere from 3-8 depending on opinions), and you have a very good team, led by a good QB. I'll take it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. patleahy

Footballgod214, are you serious?? the "MeToo" movement even reached out here on the ganggreen message board??!!

19. Footballgod214

Yessir. The mods got skered and had me change up the pic. Maybe their wives made them!

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This years top two picks are like 1A and 1B with the emergence of Zack Wilson as a potential FQB and Simms putting him ahead of Lawrence.

Wouldn’t surprise me if other scouts start putting Wilson equal to or ahead of Lawrence.

It could be they are wrong but the hype machine for NFL qbs is always going full speed ahead.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.