Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think he would have said that by now if he felt like that. It feels to me like he is moving on.
    Yes, you can use the franchise tag if you don't pick up the option, but that won't happen. If Sam somehow stays with the Jets, they will pick up his option. You can't just go into the season with Sam as a lame duck and no other options if he succeeds or fails.

Footballgod214 and REVISion like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well you see what you see I guess. But it seems inconsistent that you like Lance who has played only 1 year plus 1 game, thrown almost half as many passes as Wilson, and whose team is far superior to any other teams in their conference. You seem to be using two different yardsticks.

REVISion likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That isn't smart. Becton has HOF potential at LT. It makes no sense to trade Becton and draft Sewell. That would only be a minimal upgrade at LT if that, and we lose the value of that pick in taking a QB or trading down and adding more picks. We have zero need to take Sewell. IMO drafting Sewell would be the worst possible move that Douglas could make, and would be a fireable offense.

#763 NCJetsfan, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    Lon Chaney likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I disagree that the team's failures were not Sam's fault. He is as much at fault as Gase or anyone else. He's never learned to read Ds or fixed his footwork which is at the core of his accuracy issues and his TOs. He could have put in the time and fixed those by now if he had the desire, intelligence and talent. IMO he doesn't have any of those things.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm sure he is tripping all over himself to pick up that 5th year option

Footballgod214 and REVISion like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

If Douglas picks up Sam's 5th year option, he should be fired on the spot.

REVISion likes this.
  7. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I like lance because there is a chance we can get him outside the top 10. Which is where qbs who have potential but haven't shown enough should be picked. If we could take Wilson at 11-20 I would consider him. Wilson is not a top 10 pick. He's Ryan Tannehill going to an Adam Gase team if you take someone top 10 they better be able to play at a decent level year 1. If we could afford to sit him behind a veteran with a later pick because we had some pieces then yeah. Wilson will need to sit.if not he is at most David Carr.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Except there is zero benefit ahead of the draft to publicly declare that if it is his plan.

Ralebird and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't know what your background and/or credentials are so I don't know how much to weight your assessment of Wilson, all I can say is that we're miles apart on that. That's not to say I'm an expert or that I know more than you do, but based on my own experience watching decades of football, and reaffirmed by most of the widely accepted analysts, I'm confident that Wilson will become a FQB and be worth the #2 pick. I do agree that he would benefit by sitting for a while like Mahomes did, and I'm gun shy about any rookie QB being thrown into the fire Day 1 after what happened with Darnold.

Anyway, like my Jewish friend's grandfather used to say: "If everyone only wanted chocolate, they'd have to throw away the vanilla".

NCJetsfan, J-Raw24 and REVISion like this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You have a Jewish friend? I always wondered what those were like.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Most likely. I was thinking about keeping Sam AND draft a rookie...play Sam for 2021 then cut him to for the rookie in 2022. But then Sam plays lights out!

13. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Seriously, I can’t wait until it’s over.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I make that somebody had a deadline to meet and no angle ready to pitch so they threw together this mishmash and hoped their editor didn't pitch a fit at them.

LAJet likes this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I just mean there were many issues that led to the Jets being terrible, not just Sam. If it was just Sam, no one would want to trade for him, and the Jets would have already just cut him. He clearly deserves some blame for going (2-14), but he was in a tough spot to begin with.
    Not if he believes in Sam and he is choosing the path where Sam is his QB. I don't think that, you don't think that, but if they keep Sam, I think they would pick up his option. It would be odd to pass up on all of the QB's in the draft, keep Sam, and then decline his option.
    The benefit is showing the faith he has in Sam. Darnold is his QB. If he played well in 2020, that would have been the case. The Browns, Ravens, and Bills are not "answering the call" on their QB's and rightfully so. I personally think Joe Douglas chose to move on from Sam before last season was even over. We will see.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That's funny, my Jewish grandfather used to say: "Fuck the Jets, those loser pieces of shit. They're gonna kill me one of these days."

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Sounds like a rather pragmatic fella.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

He can be tagged if they don’t pick up his option. I figure he’ll be traded, but I think if they keep him they’ll pick up the option.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Why? Is not getting that reassurance before the draft going to significantly harm Sam’s ability to succeed once he gets that reassurance after the draft? If so, we probably would want to move on from such an emotionally fragile QB. Personally, I don’t have any reason to believe Sam is that emotionally fragile so there is no need to publicly declare it.

20. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Sam is the worst play-action qb in the NFL. San Fran runs a lot of play-action, and our new oc will do the same in NY. JD gave Sam no options or weapons this past yr. Either he is a horrible GM or he did not believe in Sam and planned to tank. Having Sam lead the way. He is also ranked as one of the worst qbs in the nfl every season he has been as a pro. This past season 34th in the league with a 32 team league. That is a special kind of sxcking.JDs best GM move has been keeping people thinking that Sam has potential. Talk shows are eating it and believing it, We have watched Sam for 3 yrs. If you were not a Jets fan what would you give up for Sam? Mitch in Chicago has a much better track record and stats and they can not wait to run him out of town. Geno in Jacksonville much better stats. Hopefully JD can sucker a team into believing Sam is their answer, the bottom line is Sam is the problem. Tannyhill did not have Sams talent but put up decent numbers in a Gase offense, with a horrible o-line and few offensive weapons. Gases biggest problem was the running game and injuries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.