Deshaun Watson Mega Thread (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Feb 5, 2021.

?

What would you give up for Watson?

1. #2 pick in 2021 Draft Only

7.9%
  2. #2 pick plus another 1st Rounder

24.6%
  3. #2 pick plus 2 other 1st Rounders

34.1%
  4. #2 pick plus 3 other 1st Rounders

5.6%
  5. To Hell with Watson. Stay put

27.8%
  1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It'll be interesting to see how Jackson, Mayfield, and Allen get compensated in their second contracts. Jackson has an MVP, Mayfield has had two above average seasons out of three, and Allen was in the MVP conversation in 2020. If they all get 40+ million per year, it'll show that the market correction hasn't started yet.

twown likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Again, I'm not saying that QBs should be paid more, or that they aren't being selfish. But no one seems to be blaming the owners for any of this. They get huge revenue and profits, and they set the cap, therefore if there's a problem in having enough money to pay all the talent you need - not just QB but all the talent - then I see it as more of an owner-created problem.

And yes, I definitely agree that as more elite QBs of color come out the owners will look for ways to underpay them because of the racism inherent in pay scales in all industries.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The analytics show that franchise QBs were previously underpaid relative to the cap, and these contracts are an attempt to find fair value.

4. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Miami can offer the third pick and Tua

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think the Texans are interested in Tua.

Rockinz, MDJets and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Watson may be underpaid in the next couple of years, with whomever he’s playing for.
    Watson may be worth 3 number one picks

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yeah, we've seen what sitting a year out has done to others and it will negatively affect value going forward but I was referring mainly to Houston suffering every week from having their biggest player asset tied up but totally unproductive. I don't think even the Houston Texans are idiotic enough to do that.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

There's no doubt Houston will suffer in the short term, but they are likely going to suck anyway in the short term so the impact will be negligible. But long term they will get maximum value. This isn't an ordinary player, it truly is a once in a lifetime QB for any team that pays the price. His value isn't going down.

REVISion likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Around 48% of the leagues revenues are allocated to the players including salary cap and players benefits. Once again, the owners do not set the cap. It is negotiated with the NFLPA.

The top four paid quarterbacks in the NFL are black. So if they're trying to underpay them based on skin color they're doing a horrible job.

REVISion likes this.
  10. Ralebird

No, the cap is set by the CBA, as are minimum salaries for each player. The answer to a more balanced player payroll lies in changing the collective bargaining agreement, but I don't see the impetus for that coming from either side, it just gives fans something to argue about.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  11. Ralebird

Please find a Houston Texans forum and go there to tell those guys that the effect of having Watson sitting at home is negligible. Tell that to the season ticket holders, the media, advertisers and merchandisers and see what they have to say. Then let the 31 other NFL owners know that Houston will be contributing significantly less money to league revenues indefinitely and see how that goes down.

12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I agree but the #3 pick and Tua could be compelling. There's a decent chance they'd get at least 1 good QB out of those two options. Or maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into it because I don't want the Jets to trade for Watson unless we fleece the Texans.

13. JetBlue

Yes, I’m sure Texans fans think trading Watson will result in an immediate improvement of the team. I suggest you follow your own suggestion, go to a Texans board, and find out if any Texans fan believes that. Same with the owners — not a single one believes trading Watson is going to result in increased revenue for the Texans. These are simply preposterous premises.

14. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

So what is it that you think the Texans will demand for Watson that they can’t get this year, but can get after a year of him sitting out? Why wouldn’t a team be willing to pay that this year? How much less will the best offer be this offseason? Or do you think the Texans are demanding more than any team is willing to offer, but won’t realize it until a year from now and then settle?

I don’t see any reason why anyone should expect the highest offer this offseason will be beat in a future offseason and I don’t see the Texans waiting a full year to start rebuilding their team in the hopes of getting a better offer that might never come.

#2, #34, ‘22 1st, ‘23 1st gets it done.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Ralebird

Why are you creating your own arguments? You know, or should know, that I never suggested that trading Watson would result in any improvement of the team or increase revenues but I claimed, and stand by the claim, that if Watson is under contract but does not play huge amounts of revenues will be lost.

If you disagree with that claim just address it, but don't make shit up.

16. JetBlue

No, I’m saying if they choose not to trade him this year in hopes that he comes back, if he doesn’t those offers will still be there next year so there is no need to trade him this year. Best case scenario is he comes back; worst case they trade him later.

17. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

You think that’s the move they should make? What do you think the chances are he plays for the Texans again? Do you think it would be the right move if you knew he wouldn’t cave?

I don’t see how Watson’s relationship with the Texans gets repaired. They don’t trade him, he loses a year of pay, and it’s not a $10m drop in the bucket. It’s the $40m he’s losing out on by pushing his next contract back.

How do you see Watson’s return to the Texans playing out? He’s not looking for a contract like Dak. That’s an easy fix. He is happy w his contract, he doesn’t want to play for the organization, neither do any of the players he won with in Houston.

18. JetBlue

I’m not making up an argument; how else am I to reasonably interpret your dispute of my position that the impact of not trading him is negligible in the short term other than the opposite — trading him will have a significant immediate short term impact? What else would that significant short term improvement be other than getting better?

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Each position has a % of cap max. Players can earn a 'max contract' but no more. For example, QB can earn up to 10% of the total cap space. Pass rushers can max out at 5% of total cap, so on and so forth.

20. JetBlue

I think he certainly will play for them again if they refuse to trade him. He’s not going to retire so what other options would he have. He’s better off playing out his four years, making his $140 million, then signing another $100 million plus contract with another team.

but ultimately I think they will trade him so that’s not a realistic scenario I see playing out.