Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just curious Why Sewell wont play RT or why Becton wouldnt move there? Becton played both OT spots seemingly down to down in college & was on record after being drafted saying hed be willling to play either spot.Hes already proven he can play LT so moving to RT wouldnt hurt him down the line financially?

Sewell’s natural position starting in HS was at RT & he too is on record saying hed be willing to play RT at next level?

Tackles who can play both spots are worth more than 1 way LTs.And most RTs in the NFL are capable of playing LT bc they most likely played LT in college.

This didnt make alot of sense to me

As for the scout i referenced, you can take him to task all you like about understanding these guys profiles.. but grading/projecting pure arm talent & the ability at the next level ill take his word over chris Simms & you 10 times out of 10

tomdeb and Footballgod214 like this.
  2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

You've been repeating the bold a lot and it's just not true. More recently, both Becton and his OL coach have indicated they would absolutely not move to RT. I also don't know why Sewell would given he's the best LT prospect in some time. It would seem extremely foolish to willingly play a position that pays 25% less on average.

Weren't you defending Darnold late into this last season? Not sure we should be taking your opinions on the QB's as gospel.

major33 likes this.
  3. L
    Oh its not true?

Go back & watch louisville tape & tell me he wasnt at RT one play & LT the next..then go fuck yourself.

And judging by your opinion on QBs..by all means..stay far far away from my evaluations & posts all together.Youve been on ignore for a reason.Please stop quoting me

tomdeb likes this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

No, it's not true that Becton would play RT. His most recent thoughts on the matter are that he would not do it.

Do you have an anger problem? Maybe taking things a bit too personally when people disagree with your opinions on prospects? Also lol @ citing my opinions on QB's who haven't even played a down in the NFL yet, especially when many scouts and QB coaches agree with me. Settle down big guy.

Ralebird and major33 like this.
  5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Yup. It's painful watching the lack of legitimate NFL talent at the skill positions on this team. Besides Crowder and Mims, the cupboard is empty. I just took a scroll through the FA WR list and I'm drooling just looking at it. Allen Robinson, Golladay, Curtis Samuel, Corey Davis, JuJu, etc... There is no reason not to add legit talent at WR this offseason.

Hopefully they land A Rob but I think he's going to want to play with star QB rather than a rookie or Sam.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

First, thank you for taking time to write and share your thoughts with me on this. In retrospect, I agree that I probably shouldn't have said "wake up" to Pepsiguy, and maybe I should soften some of my adjectives and descriptors. I acknowledge that my passion gets in the way at times and I come on too strong. That is something I'm trying to change, but it isn't easy. I come by it honestly as both my parents were that way, and I was encouraged to be self expressed and state my opinions.

You may not understand or like this, but the thing is, I do think the scout is "full of shit" to make a statement like Sam's arm is better than Wilson's. I thought it then and still do. I think it totally fallacious and outrageous. As I said in another post, I'm sure that scout was probably a very good one 20+ years ago when the philosophy was very different in the NFL, and it was very different and much more conservative on the Giants. That is not today's NFL, however, and not who the Jets are or should be. My commments about that scout have no reflection upon what I think of Kurt or anyone else. They're strictly a comment on that scout. I totally respect Kurt, and he has been one of my best friends on this site, and he knows how I think and feel about him. I was surprised that Kurt used that scout because he discredited Lance, and I know that Lance is Kurt's favorite QB in this draft and he favors trading down and taking Lance.

As far as saying an idea or opinion is totally dumb, I've had totally dumb, misguided ideas before. We all have. Again, that is not meant to be offensive or a personal attack on the person, just that I think the idea is totally wrong and bad, and I explain why I think it's bad. I can understand however why someone might take offense at my calling their opinion or idea "totally dumb" and guess you're right that I shouldn't say that. I may not have appreciated myself it at the moment that someone pointed out my idea or opinion was "totally dumb," but usually I did later after reflection and realized that the person was right. I learned from that. The fact that they said it that strongly and were honest or pissed enough to point it out is what made me think about what I had said, whereas if they had said it in a "nicer" fashion or not said anything, I may not have rethought my opinion or idea. I guess I'm quick to forgive/overlook the slight and learning is more important to me. Still, others may not be like me, and they may not care about correcting their misconceptions, so guess I should stop. Believe it or not I am trying to be "kinder" and "gentler" in my responses. It's not easy to change at my age, especially when I've ben posting on football sites for over 20 years and how I respond has been the norm for many, if not most guys on the sites, but times have changed, and I am trying to change.

I will think further about what you said and how I respond. Thanks again for saying something.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It seems like that's what he's saying so I was just looking for clarification. From the more recent of his posts he's been consistently saying that using the #2 pick on a QB - especially Wilson - WILL result in the inability to acquire any more talent and thereby leave us with a new QB and a bad offense. If I misunderstood him then I guess I'll need to pay closer attention.

tomdeb likes this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I completely disagree with this post.

Dierking likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Becton and his agent have already said that they would not consider moving to RT. RTs are paid several million less per season than RTs, so I severely doubt that Sewell would consider it either. Even if he is willing to play RT in the NFL, I think #2 is way too high to draft a RT. It's not good value, even if there wasn't an elite QB prospect that would be sitting there at the Jets pick, and imo Wilson is an elite QB prospect. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. I would never take a RT that high. The only positions I'd take in the top 5 are QB, Edge, LT, and #1 WR. I wouldn't even take a CB that high. Then there's the issue of having to pay both of them in 4-5 years. IMO that would tie up too much money on the cap in the OL. I'd rather see that money spread out to playmakers on both offense and defense. I don't want to see another time like 2009-2010 when the Jets had so much money tied up on the OL they couldn't afford to sign topnotch skill position players even with a rookie QB. There are also a lot of good OTs in this draft, and I think the Jets can wind up with a great pair of bookend tackles and OL without having to use two top ten picks on the OTs.

In terms of which "expert" who you prefer to listen to and trust, that's fine. We each have to go with what we believe and who we trust. Personally, I'll go with an "expert" every time who has played the same position in the NFL that he is evaluating, that is consistent in his analytical approach and doesn't conveniently omit positives, and whose attitude and approach is where the NFL is now over one whose philosophy and attitude is obviously dated to 20-30 years ago and to a much more conservative approach than the modern NFL has and/or than I want the Jets to have.

major33 and REVISion like this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

At first I thought taking Sowell would be overkill. But dang...what a great oline we'd have. I'd move Becton to RT. Most teams with a right handed QB run to the right side. RTs are looked upon as road grators, smashing linebacker into the dirt, making holes for their RB. This screams BECTON!!!

It would be awesome to keep Sam and draft Sowell and a top RB in the 1sr round. Sowell would protect Sam's blind side on passing plays and Becton would smash anyone in his path into next week on running plays. 3rd and 3 or 4th and 2 would be an auto-first down for us. We could run left behind Sowell OR run right behind Becton, or play action to Mimms blazing down the sideline.

Pumped!

11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Imagine if the Jets had the overall top pick? At this point I can only imagine the number of people that would be screaming we should trade it for a Herschel Walker haul and that <insert QB not named Lawrence> is just as good as Lawrence. Or that with the haul we would get, we could put an all-pro team around Sam! The main post, which would be on part 3 by now would be titled "Just hear me out..."

major33, NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

It's Sewell. Have you not seen his name posted 100 times already? Here's a hint: they are spelling it correctly

major33, NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Wouldn't it be funny if we did build around Sam, just not the one one might think of when that name is mentioned?

TonyFtLaud and Footballgod214 like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He looks great. I've seen tape on him before, but I doubt we'd be in a position to draft him next year without having to give up a king's ransom (assuming a team would agree to trade).

16. Footballgod214

Becton will play where he's told to play.

17. Footballgod214

Sewell said I could spell it Sowell. So, well?

bicketybam likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

No he won't. He will demand a trade.

REVISion likes this.
  19. Footballgod214

Trade him for Watson....win win!

20. NCJetsfan

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/03/08/...d-the-new-york-jets-about-sam-darnold-report/

Eight teams have called the New York Jets about Sam Darnold (Report)
    By
    Geoff Magliocchetti
    -
    03/08/2021

A report from Sports Illustrated indicates that eight teams have contacted the New York Jets about the status of the embattled Sam Darnold.
    As another week begins for the New York Jets, the Sam Darnold roller-coaster is about to reach another hill.

According to Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer, eight teams have inquired about the services of the embattled Jets quarterback, whose status remains a talking point as the commencement of the NFL free agency period looms. Breer also reports that the Jets are performing their due diligence in analyzing who exactly will hold the starting quarterback position for the 2021 season.

Team personnel, a combo of Robert Saleh, Joe Douglas, and/or Mike LaFleur), is expected to attend the pro days of draft prospects Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, and Justin Fields. While Lance’s is set to be held on Friday, Fields won’t come until March 31.

Breer does note that while the Jets want to see the rookie throwers before they make a decision on Darnold, they won’t hesitate to speed up the process if they can find a worthy partner to work with.

He also lists San Francisco, Washington, and Chicago as teams that would be interested in a long-term veteran starting quarterback, as the top prospects would likely be gone by the time they choose in April.

“Chicago and Washington … aren’t in striking distance to draft one of the top guys and may not think developing a rookie, given where they’re at, is the best play,” Breer notes. “San Francisco would be even more fascinating. Darnold’s a strong fit for Kyle Shanahan’s offense, and trading for him would make the Niners six years younger, and $20 million cheaper at the position in 2020. The Niners like Jimmy Garoppolo, as we’ve said here, and won’t move off him without a clear upgrade. Could Darnold be that?”

The 49ers, Football Team, and Bears respectively pick 12th, 19th, and 20th in the upcoming 2021 NFL draft in Cleveland.

Washington and Chicago, participants in the NFC wild-card playoffs, are looking for new starters, having announced their plans to move on from Alex Smith and Mitchell Trubisky, respectively.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.