Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kotite's Revenge

If that’s even remotely in the ballpark of Wilson’s potential, then it’s criminal not to take him.

However, I think that’s highly overstating Wilson’s potential. But let Wilson’s meteoric rise be our salvation.

Yes, this is the build around Sam thread but I’m all in for the build around the NEXT QB. Let some team way overpay for the #2 and load the roster to the hilt with talent.

This organization is so friggin’ close to be very respectable.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Every option comes with question marks.

Can Sam ressurect his career with a new coaching staff, better oline and better players??????????????????

Will Zack Wilson avoid the bust label and develop into a top 5 FQB????????????????

Can JD trade for Watson and still build a team around him??????????????????????

Nothing is a slam dunk. Every option comes with pitfalls and lots of ?

PJ4Ever likes this.
  3. Footballgod214

Trading for Watson gives us the best QB.

Keeping Sam gives us the best team.

Drafting Zack is something in between.

4. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

To be able to draft the second-best qb in probably the next two yrs drafts and still have 3 first rd picks. You do it . If Wilson throws for Burrow like numbers his first yr, hoping he is not hurt but introduced later in the yr. What is he worth? Probably 2 # 1s at least. If Sewell was drafted and played to his potential what would we be able to trade him for at the end of next season. Maybe a 1st and a third. Same with Smith etc. QBs are the most important position. JD with 3 1st rd picks and a ton of cap should be able to build a good team . Sam even if he improves to Trubinskys level, which we would all love, would require a Carson Wentz, Goff like contract. With a slim qb class,either you overpay him or give up a lot of draft capital to trade up in the draft to get a qb. Plus you are really starting the rebuild yr 3 of JD then. Halfway through his contract. W/o the QB ,or still having Sam. Whose ceiling is that of probably Wentz or Goff as far as wins and losses. Most likely much below that level. If JD did believe in Sam he would have built him up these last 2 yrs. If he did try we are in trouble. I think he knows we need to move on.

5. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Since QB is the most valuable position on the field, how does keeping Sam give us the best team? I think Sam is mediocre no matter who you put around him, so IMO getting a late first or 2nd is much more desirable than keeping him. Heck, even trading for Teddy Bridgewater is a better option with all of our draft picks and cap space. Not that I would trade for him to be the starter at this point, but I think he's better than Sam.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's such a generally messed up situation, because: Jets.

In almost all other circumstances we'd expect the new coach to have a real rebuilding year to get his program going.

Jimmy Johnson gets hired by Dallas after 3-13, then goes 1-15, 7-9, 11-5, Super Bowl.

Bill Parcells gets hired by the Giants after 4-5 and one playoff team in a generation, then goes 3-12-1, 9-7, 10-6, Super Bowl.

Bill Walsh gets hired by San Francisco after 2-14, then goes 2-14, 6-10, Super Bowl.

This kind of pattern is written all over the NFL's history.

But: Jets.

So instead we'll see the classic pump and dumps where the Jets sign a bunch of free agents to look good this year and then go right back into the dumps next year as another regime is stillborn from marketing induced labor.

7. Footballgod214

I meant 'team' outside the QB position. Keeping Sam give JD his full draft to draft players. This is the only option that give JD the most buying power, so ya, keeping Sam gives JD the best chance of fielding a top team. Trading for Watson gives JD the toughest job of fielding a team (out side the QB position).

8. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I kind of get what you're saying, but I'm still not sold on it being a better team since QB is the biggest part of said team. If the QB can't throw accurate passes or improvise and change up plays after reading a defense, then how does that help us even with a great O-Line and top WRs? Or anyone who JD brings in. If the QB is lousy, it hurts the entire team.

Please lord, get rid of Sam. I want a fresh start. :)

9. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Rivers is not going to make the Hall of Fame. He may someday make the list of "best players not in the Hall of Fame," but his lack of postseason success is going to hamstring him. He's been good, often great, but rarely elite. I was just saying that I think Wilson's ceiling is maybe getting a 13-3 season once or twice in his career that still leads to a divisional or championship round exit, but never beyond that.

I'm not totally against him, and I won't be throwing things at the wall if they draft him. I'm just saying that I'm not all in on him.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  10. Br4d

I think Rivers is 50/50 to make it.

The two QB's drafted on either side of him, Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger are both going to get in. I think one of the definitions of a Hall of Famer is whether or not you can tell the story of the NFL without including his name. I think the middle guy in that historic draft that produced 2 QB's who won 2 Super Bowls apiece who also passed for 421 TD's and was an 8 time Pro Bowl QB is definitely on the bubble to get in as well.

Note that right now, through the 2020 season, Rivers has more career TD passes than either Roethlisberger or Eli. He has more Pro Bowl appearances than either of them also.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think Rivers gets in with ease honestly. Aside from the fact that I think he should be in, I believe there's a bit of nostalgia the writers will have for that 2004 class as if it wouldn't feel right if they didn't put him in.

major33, PJ4Ever, NYJFOREVER and 4 others like this.
  12. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I really appreciate you posting this Kurt. Enjoyed watching it.

I hope whatever the Jets decide to do it works out but I have some serious reservations about dumping Darnold and putting all the eggs in the Zach Wilson basket.

After observing this team the last two years I think the Jets biggest problem is that their team, most especially offensive line, has been complete shit and their coaching staff has been amongst the worst, if not literally the worst, in recent NFL memory. Potentially, this could all change very quickly now. With any luck the coaching script has been completely flipped to the good side and the Jets have enough draft capital the next couple years to finally fix the one major problem they have had for years... namely no impact talent on the offensive side of the football.

I "like" Zach and Fields too for that matter. But I am not seeing where either guy is a sure-fire NFL success story. As that scout notes, the Jets already have a guy on the payroll who's bigger, stronger, and has a better throwing arm. My preference would be to trade down that pick if a good haul is available or to draft Sewell who is a likely hall of fame player with as close to zero chance of failing as any player in this draft. I'm not sure what the statistical chance of failure on Zach Wilson is but I would guess its comfortably over 20%. To put that in perspective if you take a 6 shot cowboy revolver, and put one round in the chamber and spin it you've got a better chance of Zach coming up short than you do of the gun being live. And I don't know about you guys, but after what I've observed the last 2 years I'd say the LAST THING the Jets need to be doing this spring is blowing their own brains out.

What they need to do (says me) is to make absolutely 100% sure you connect on something positive with that premium pick.

tomdeb, KurtTheJetsFan and Br4d like this.
  13. Br4d

The way the Jets build the team into a potential powerhouse is to trade the #2 for a handful of good picks this year and next and then take our lumps for a year letting the new HC and his staff sort out the talent from the chaff on the current roster.

Letting Darnold QB the team during that evaluation process, maybe with a mid to late 1st round rookie QB sitting and learning for a year, is a very sound way to approach things in a year with less upside no matter who QB's the team.

One of the reasons that Zach Wilson is getting so much attention as QB2 in the draft right now is that other than Lawrence he is the only QB who had 2+ seasons as the starter at the college level.

Any of those guys other than Lawrence should have a year on the bench. Giving them the job right away is an invitation to failure.

tomdeb likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That guy is full of shit. There's no way Sam has a better arm than Wilson.

Taking Sewell would be the worst possible move that Douglas could make. Totally dumb. What you advocate is drafting scared, kind of like Mac did. He didn't know how to build a team or who to draft, so he went BPA on round rating. That's a recipe for failure. We've been there, done that. Wake up.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Relax, man. That guy is not "full of shit," he just has a different opinion than you do; he's not lying or trying to con anyone. I believe Darnold has a stronger arm than Wilson but that doesn't make it better; in the post you responded to there may simply be a clouding of definition in translation. Drafting differently than you might advocate is not "drafting scared;" it's looking at wants, needs and availability through a different prism. Whatever decisions Douglas makes on draft day, as much as I might disagree with them, I would never have the hubris to call him "dumb" for making them - he's in a much better position than you or I to have access to the information needed to make good choices for his vision of the future.

There is no need for anyone to "wake up" or whatever denigrating comments are made simply based on differences of opinion. There is a need, however, to wake up enough to respect the rights of others to have and express their opinions, even if you have no respect for those opinions themselves.

16. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Wilson is being used as bait for someone to trade up to #2. JD is playing it very smart. "Wilson is intriguing" is only to give a guise they're interested enough someone with the capital doesn't want to take the risk to miss out on Wilson because Jets pick him at #2.

The same goes with all the "I'll pick up the phone for Darnold". It's all meant to make people believe they might go for Wilson at #2, unless someone is willing to trade the farm for the spot. Which is the likelihood here.

JD wants to trade down, get a buttload of picks. QB isn't as high as priority for him. If it was they could have easily traded for Stafford.

btw - thank you Chris Simms! you're doing JD's job for him.

tomdeb and Footballgod214 like this.
  17. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

So we have a chance at a new QB and people would rather keep a kid who needs a fresh start.

What happens when Sam goes 3 and out? Throws his first pick? Throws his second pick? Doesn't show flashes of brilliance?

This fan base and the stadium will be on top of the young lad, as we've had 3 years of it already.

Both sides need. A fresh start as A.Gase killed both sides involved.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

PJ4Ever likes this.
  18. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

You're missing the point. He's trading #2 pick and Darnold and then going to get Watson. We'll have too much ammo and still a loads of picks leftover. JD should be fired if he can't get this done.

Wilson is a smokescreen. Even if JD drafted a QB not named Lawrence, 50/50 Darnold stays around for the year too. He's not betting his job on Wilson, Lance, Jones, and Fields. LOL. y'all crazy.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Fields was a 2 year starter. If there was a way to trade the #2 pick and ensure we still got him, I'd consider it.

20. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

How would keeping Sam give them the best team? They’ll be better able to build a team if they draft Zach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.