Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Whenever you say something is valuable, you need to consider WHY it is so valuable to begin with. It is valuable this year because there are several really talented QB prospects at the top of the draft. We have had the worst QB play in last 3 years in the entire NFL. This pick is MOST valuable precisely for a team like us! You need to think long and hard when you give up that value to a competitor.

And the worst case scenario is not what you described below. The worst case, which also happens to be a most likely one in your scenario, is that Sam continues to be inconsistent as he has been all 3 years in NFL and last year NCAA or even show some improvement, but not enough to be really good player. If that's the case he may end up benched or even if not we have bottom 3d QB play and a pick in 15-20 range. I don't see a scenario where we have a top 5 pick again any time soon. As bad as the Jets were throughout last decade, we only got in top 5 once in 2019 draft. Before that it was I think in 2006.

So, no, don't count on that top 5 pick next year. What do you do then for the most important position by far in football? I just don't think this makes any sense, when we have #2 pick now (not just top 5, but top 2, which hasn't happened since 1997), which as you said is insanely valuable, precisely because there is great QB talent. You give up that pick now, we end up with 15-20 next year, and I am not convinced we can get into top 2-3 to get top notch QB for all the assets we got back this year, and there may not even be a QB as highly touted as in this year's class.

Don't overthink it and don't count on being able to get a FQB next year. Even if you roll with Sam, you MUST have a top rookie QB as a back-up first year. Now, if Sam still doesn't deliver great play as in your worst case (and let's be honest that scenario is still the likeliest), after a few games of learning, we bring in the rookie. And best case, if he plays really well, we can probably franchise tag him and trade next year, and have Smith/Mahomes type of situation. :)

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

What are you basing this on? YOUR eyes? Let me guess....you've watched all 3 highlite vids and Zack's footwork is perfect! No but seriously, JD and company will do 1000x times more investigating than you or me or anyone else on here can possibly do. HOPEFULLY JD comes to the same conclusion....Zack is a future FQB. But if that's not the conclusion they reach, then we'll have to revisit this thread in 2-3 years to see how Zack panned out.

barfolomew likes this.
  3. Footballgod214

But here's the thing. JD doesn't have to love Sam to go with him. JD just needs to lose out on Watson and not love Fields/Wilson enough to go all in on them. What option would he have left? Marcus Mariota? Jamies Wintson? The Beard? Seriously. If he loses out on Watson and can't go all in on the rookies, what options does he have?

4. wellemann

wellemann Member

I agree that Sam being just good enough for a 7-9 season is not bad.

As for picking at no 2... Mahomes was picked at #10... Chiefs traded from 28 to 10 for a third and a next year first. You don't need a top 2 pick to get a FQB. Its scouting... and system fits.

Look how Shanahan and 49rs got to the Super Bowl with Garoppolo. He is not a top QB. But the system works.

A top QB is great, but if we can trade that picks for more picks and get 4-6 starters I would do that.

BrooklynJetsFan and BacktoQueens like this.
  5. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

If we pick 15-20 it means we probably just missed the playoffs. Are you saying you wouldn’t be happy with an 8-9-0 record next year?

Ironic referencing Mahomes bc KC built a team first and then got the FQB.

Neither Watson nor Mahomes were picked in the top 9. In the example we have 3 Picks in the 2022 1st round. If you don’t value capital then Idk.

6. Footballgod214

You make a good point. If the #2 is SO valuable, is it because Zack (or Fields) or some other position player are generational and the entire NFL is desperate to get one of them? And if that's truly the case, why aren't WE getting one of them with our #2?

Bellys Lies likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Here's two:

North Carolina football: Can Sam Howell be better than Trevor Lawrence? (fansided.com)

Is Sam Howell as good as Trevor Lawrence? ESPN sparks debate | Charlotte Observer

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for these. I had heard that Howell was a very good prospect and the top QB in next year's draft class, but hadn't heard that he could possibly be better than Lawrence. There's nothing in either article that makes a compelling case, however. In the fansided article, it basically uses one PFF stat most TD passes thrown in passes over 20 yards downfield, which I think is a silly stat. That depends as much upon the WRs as the QB. The only other thing is says is don't be surprised if Howell winds up with better stats than Lawrence. It gives no other evidence, no stats, no examples of things he does better than Lawrence. Howell could have better stats than Lawrence and still not be as good a QB.

The Charlotte Observer article is just as bad. It cites a couple of games this past season where the ESPN announcers (doesn't even say who those announcers are, and one definitely needs to consider the source/who said it) said one nice thing about Howell, and then in the Duke-Carolina game compared stats of Howell and Lawrence over their first 19 collegiate games. Again, that's rather silly, and shoddy journalism. There's no depth, no substance to the article. The Charlotte Observer is a very biased newspaper for UNC, and the author of the article is a UNC alum. Howell's stats are certainly comparable, and in some categories better, but remember that Lawrence basically had only one reliable WR this year (Amari Rodgers), and that Carolina hasn't had the same schedule as Lawrence. Etienne's a great RB, but Carolina had two of them in Williams and Carter, and I think they have more options at WR and TE than Lawrence had this year. Still, Howell could wind up better.

As you said, even if he is better than Lawrence, we will have no shot at getting him, and because of his shorter stature, I doubt he'll be referred to as a "generational QB."

Spencer Rattler could be very good, but he's likely to go top 5 or at least top 10 as well. The article mentions Kedon Slovis of USC and says that he is probably the #2 QB in the class. That's not what I've read. There's no way I'd draft another USC QB at this point. It's just too soon after Sam, and with all the other bust QBs they've had. If their program regains its luster and becomes a perennial playoff team with great QB play, then I'll consider a QB from USC again, but not now. It also mentions JT Daniels of UGA, Jayden Daniels of AZ St., and Brock Purdy of Iowa St.

I'm gonna post the articles I've seen that talks about the probable QB class of 2022.

#388 NCJetsfan, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Blesthard who knows the scheme and will do for a season.
    I don't know what the state of play is for 2022 qb's tbh

Footballgod214 likes this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't expect talents like Watson and Mahomes to last to 10 on the draft boards any longer, precisely because teams missed out on them and are now seeing the value of athletic mobile and accurate QBs with good arm. It's going to be harder to find talents like this later in the draft. Would I be happy with 7-9 next year? If we have a rookie FQB in the wings, then yes. Then I would expect us to be play-off contender in 2022 and many years after. And I and others already showed multiple times the higher you pick the better chance you have at success, so no point to revisit this again.

We have a lot of assets to build the team in this and next offseason. But we do need legit FQB. If we can get a rookie now, even if he sits on the bench and learns for some part of next year, like Mahomes did, I feel that in 2022 we can put out a serious roster and end play-off drought.

11. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I’m not going to argue your points because it makes sense, but Im still personally a little higher on Sam than you are. There’s nothing I can say to change your mind on that, but it seems like the NFL world likes Sam more than Jet fans also.

Also, it seems like other vet QBs are getting moved more often, so if Sam were to fail again, who’s to say we don’t move some assets for a vet? There’s also a few solid QBs next year in the draft even though it doesn’t look that great right now. Other QBs may emerge as well in college.

Ultimately there’s different options that Douglas will have to weigh for himself, but getting a haul for #2 and giving Sam one last chance isn’t a horrible idea. It may not be the best way to go, but there is some upside

westiedog1 and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  12. Kotite's Revenge

All in on bolded text.

I guess I’m at the age where I’m excited to have a real direction of this franchise. After the Mud Bowl, fake spike, butt fumble, hcnyj resignation, Gase, etc. I need something. Give me something. Please. God. PLEASE.

KWJetsFan and Noam like this.
  13. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

We will never be 7-9 again ever. EVER
    You want a rookie 22 yo QB to sit behind our 22 yo QB?
    Q: What always was and always will be?

A: One of the top QBs has been picked outside the top 10 literally every draft. Literally every single one. Forever.
    Top 5 QBs in the league:
    Mahomes
    Watson
    Rodgers
    Brady
    Wilson
    How many were drafted in the top 5 picks? 0
    How many were drafted 10 or lower? ALL 5!!

Is this going to be the year everything is different?

Remember all the QBs around last year during FA?
    Seems like a lot of fqbs are available this year, too.
    Is everything going to be different next year? Prescott, Rodgers, maybe Ryan maybe Wilson,

I vote we use that #2 overall pick as a tool to rebuild the roster. Let’s follow the Chiefs and Buccs blueprints. Let’s build a team and plug in the right QB at the end.

#394 ZachMFWilson, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Footballgod214 and Br4d like this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think there has to be an open question in both JD's and Saleh's minds about whether or not Sam Darnold can be an effective game managing QB with some upside in the 49er's WCO.

If they think they can get competent play out of him if they put him in a role where he just has to keep things moving instead of driving the action - well, that's about the only path towards the Jets making a real leap forward this year and maybe competing at some level.

Why is Sam Darnold the key here?

Because if the Jets can move forward with Darnold at QB then they have a lot of other questions they can try to solve in free agency and the draft and they have both the cap space and the picks to do so.

If the brain trust decides Darnold is not salveageable, well that means either rookie QB with all the downside that creates or a trade that will significantly impact both cap space and # of picks moving forward.

It is a crazy thought as I have said before but Sam Darnold is probably the Jets best shot at a playoff spot in 2021. Not a good shot by any means but he is the piece that prevents the Jets from spending a lot of assets to improve one position or alternately entrusting that position to a rookie unlikely to handle the pressure well.

MoWilkBeast and Footballgod214 like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They're all pretty flawed except for Rattler. I imagine he'll be the #1 pick and a Heisman favorite. Full package and athletic.

Howell is willing to move and can do it a bit in college but he's often stuck in the mud when he tries. He's also an Air Raid guy that definitely predetermined where he was going to throw. But he's going to put up big numbers next year I'd imagine.

Slovis - no thanks. The king of floater balls. Purdy was disappointing this past year and I doubt he'll be a top pick. Jayden Daniels is athletic as hell but also frail and should probably stay in school until he's a senior.

JT Daniels is a good dark horse. Forewent his senior year in high school to go to USC, tore his ACL, lost his starting job but he has all the tools including a big arm and runs a more pro style offense at Georgia. He needs to put it all together next year and is another guy that would benefit from playing 2+ years there but he won't if he has a good year. To his detriment at times, he's definitely not afraid of letting it rip.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

NFL should require QB to play 4 full season before becoming draft eligible. Enough already with "I played one good year...risk your franchise on me and guarantee me $30 million dollars!

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  17. Footballgod214

Yup grabbing Blesthard will be cheaper than keeping Sam and also allow JD to trade Sam. But here's the thing Sam has to offer that others dont: An intriguing up side that's not yet been tapped. If Sam is traded then blooms into the QB we thought he'd become when we drafted him JD will kick himself for not sticking with Sam for the 2021, just so WE could see if Sam blooms for US. Because if by chance Sam does, then that makes 2022 so much, much simpler.

Borat likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Colleges should pay athletes to compete for them given the amount of money they make in return. If you get the one then it is possible to maybe do the other.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly! That's why I said next year's class can't compare with this one, and it's ridiculous for posters to say that we can't just wait until next year and draft a QB. They have no clue what they're talking about. That's why I posted all of this to try and stop those inane comments.

Borat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.