Russell Wilson's camp mentioning NYJ as a trade destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Feb 25, 2021.

1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I will be legitimately SHOCKED if EITHER Wilson OR Watson are playing for different teams when the season kicks off. I just don't see either QB being traded. Think it is all one big media hype sandwich with no mayo on it! >:O

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I would agree that I’d be incredibly shocked if Wilson is actually traded. I think it’s a combination of media hype as well as his camp trying to send messages to Seattle like “hey, get your shit together because time is kind of running out here” without really too much of an intention to request a trade.

3. patleahy

I agree BroadwaySam. It definitely reeks of a power play by Wilson and his camp to force Carroll's hand to finally change things. I sometimes visit the seahawks main board, and there have been rumblings on there for years about Wilson being unhappy with Carroll's conservative offensive philosophy.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

There are many reasons for the Jets to not trade for Wilson that have already been mentioned. I expect Wilson to remain with the Seahawks.

hornblower likes this.
  5. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I posted an article in the other Wilson thread that shows the relationship as way worse than I think many of us realized. Their are anonymous SEA sources putting some pretty inflammatory isht about Wilson or there in that piece this morning. I can definitely see the potential for a breakup more clearly after reading that...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's only different if you operate under the notion that Watson is going to be here for that much longer. Why wouldn't he test the free agent waters after four years?

Trading for Watson doesn't guarantee him as some sort of ten year option at quarterback. If things don't go as planned then he's gone. And if he plays well, he will want to re-up on another massive extension when he's the 8th or 9th paid quarterback in a couple years after the current rookie contract crops get paid.

The only thing different is obviously the age. But the window is pretty much the same before the franchise is at another crossroad.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Depends on the price. If we could give Seattle back their 23 ,I’d do it. Trade the 2 for a boatload and we’re off and running

barfolomew and The Dark Knight like this.
  8. patleahy

what inflammatory stuff are they leaking about Wilson, Snatch?

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

From our perspective the two moves would be essentially identical.

There is no way in hell Deshaun Watson comes here, loses for two seasons, and then doesn't force his way out again. Both Watson and Russell have 2 to 3 year windows on this team because this team is not built to support them and you cannot build a contending team overnight.

Getting a QB of the quality of Watson and Wilson on a rookie contract is what we should be looking to do. With the number and quality of high picks we have in 2021 and 2022 we should be able to slide into the right slot in the draft in one of those years and pick up a guy who can be our FQB while also drafting a bunch of guys high in the draft to support them.

This is so obvious at this point that I will be shocked if Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh can't pull it off.

REVISion, patleahy and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

Well if this is the way you're going to look at everything then we EVER make a trade?

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

Stopped reading right here. No offense.

12. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

Weren’t Suh, Evans, Godwin, Barrett, and JPP on the team in 2019?

Are you suggesting the Buccs were a QB AND TE away?

13. patleahy

I agree 100% Br4d I think some folks just get caught up with the BIG NAME and all of the hype surrounding guys like Watson and Wilson. They immediately assume that if we landed one of those guys, we would instantly be Super Bowl contenders, and that isn't the case.

Br4d likes this.
  14. patleahy

BroadwaySam, it is difficult for me to recognize your posts now that you have changed your avatar. My mind was conditioned to expect: broadwaysam = goofy picture of Gase.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

With the state of the roster and the bevy of picks we have, we generally shouldn't be looking to make trades for veterans.

Quarterback is a different animal and obviously the right price for Watson and Wilson should be weighed seriously. How many of these worked out well?

http://www.footballperspective.com/trading-2-first-round-picks-for-a-player/

Again though - the windows are the same. Watson isn't that far away from free agency especially when you factor in 2021 is likely a losing season regardless. So you have a three year window to do something in the playoffs before he once again holds all the cards. By that time the franchise tag for quarterbacks will likely be pretty much unusable.

REVISion likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

I am personally thrilled to move past that phase of Jets history.

Noam, Footballgod214 and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Give Seattle back #23 overall and their 1st in 2022. Makes the trade essentially Adams for Wilson and the most genius move in Jets history! Of course, Adams would then pout and cry about losing a dawg and not having a QB, and how the Seahawks don't care about winning but he does, etc. and then get shipped out of Seattle.

FJF likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

Here's the huge difference: if you get three good years out of Russell, you're not negotiating longterm with a 36 year old. If you get three good years out of Watson, you desperately want to negotiate longterm. One of these guys gives you the option to be a longterm solution, the other doesn't. That's why the situations to me are not even remotely close. You can try to predict the future about how the team will be built and what the success level will be... but age is not a prediction it's a fact. And outside of Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady, you don't see many 36 year olds looked at as a longterm solution.

19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Just heard he stormed out of a meeting today. So it looks like he will force his way off that team. For 77 million left on his contract what could possibly be so terrible.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

What do you think the chances are that things go well enough for Watson that he wants to come back and not test the market for record breaking money? Or not want an extension two years in?

Once it's time to renegotiate, the quarterback holds all the cards.

The window is still three years, four at most for either player.

boozer32 likes this.