Miami Herald State Watson Picks Jets as #1 Destination

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The assurance that you're getting an elite QB in his prime at age 25 is worth the #2 pick and more.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

While I agree that the #2 overall pick is worth more than a normal first round pick, the reality is that it's only worth what another team says it is. I doubt anyone gives us 3 first round picks or accepts that valuation.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It really is a sad indictment of this shitty team.

4. K'OB

I heard he spends all his time in this thread gaining the insight of fans on how to do his job.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

What it really does is make me more pissed off because that cycle SHOULD have been broken two years ago. We had an ultra-talented young QB, a head coach vacancy and lots of money. We did literally everything wrong.

6. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Fine, but that #2 isn't like a pick in April in the high-teens or 20's. Or a pick next year or 2023.

That pick has to count as 3 #1's.

7. BroadwayAaron

Why? It quite literally doesn't.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With regards to the bold, he could do that I guess, but I'd be more than a little surprised, disappointed, and more than a little upset with him if that's his response.

I think Cimini and the media are nuts. With the salary cap the way it is and so many teams being already at or over the salary cap, I don't think there will be more than 4-5 teams who will be able to be seriously interested in Watson. Houston won't trade with Indy or any team in their division, and may well intend to trade him to an NFC team. I think only two teams have as many draft picks as the Jets, Miami and Jacksonville, and Jacksonville is out because they're in the same division and they will draft Lawrence. Of the remaining teams, I would be surprised if any team goes crazy with their offer. I think we have the distinct advantage with the #2 pick. Because of that, I think we have an excellent chance of getting him if he's willing to be traded to us, and we could get him for fewer picks than any other team because of that #2 pick. Miami could possibly be willing to give up more picks than Douglas, but we could still take the QB that Houston wants at #2. We have that ace up our sleeve.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  9. K'OB

I remember somebody putting that list up in Sams 2nd season and was shocked to see he was already high up the list and that is a fucking embarrassment tbh.

After winning Superbowl 3 this franchise should have been one of the greatest in history, the Jets made the league what it is today by winning that year and what have we now got to show for that?

Derision mainly.

Even just going back to Rex's team, a team pretty much set up to win but then we don't pick the right QB again and the cycle continues on.

donkey and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

maybe....

it’s interesting because you’re essentially trading risk reduction for cap space, right?

the #2 pick could be used on a QB prospect in the HOPE that he becomes a franchise QB. There’s obviously risk in that hope....he may never become a franchise QB, and in fact the odds are probably against him becoming a franchise QB because they are kind of rare. But the upside is that you have a player under a cheap rookie contract for 4 years and an option for a fifth year.

on the other hand, trading the #2 for an established great QB mitigates that risk of failing....doesn’t eliminate it, but mitigates it. That is, the player may fail to live up to his past performance in a new team, new system, different OL, etc. I think that risk is low for us in this case, because it’s not like he had a great cast around him in Houston either, so it’s reasonable to think that he should continue playing well here. But the cost of mitigating the risk of failure is that you get an older player with a correspondingly shorter lifespan (again, not an issue in this case as he’s only 25, so definitely a unique situation)....the real cost is that he won’t be on a cheap rookie deal...he will be good this year and then more expensive after that. In addition, the cost is also that you’ll have fewer premium picks to build around that player. To me, this is the biggest issue....we need MORE premium picks just to get this roster to average....not FEWER. How many of our starters would start on the playoff caliber teams? Becton? Q? Crowder? That’s probably about it.

So it’s just an interesting way to think about it.

Personally I’m not really sold on either Fields or Wilson at #2...I’d rather have Watson than either of them. But I don’t think our roster is good enough to give up so many first rounders. I don’t want to do what the Texans did...have a great QB and still go 4-12.

what really matters is how JD feels....if he gives up multiple first rounders then he needs to hit on his second and third rounders....if he goes a rookie QB route then he needs to be sure on his ability to draft a QB.

JD has amassed 5 first rounders in the next three years....is he going to keep them (or even use that #2 to trade down and generate even more first rounders) and use them to improve the overall roster? Or is he going to use most of them to trade for a star QB?

for me, that #2 is worth a couple of first rounders all on its own...so I’m not on board with three first rounders if one of them is the #2...if that pick is included then I’d be ok with a second first rounder. If the #2 is not in the package, then I could get my head around three first rounders because I do think we would trade down from #2 for an additional first round pick.

but we’ll see....it’ll be interesting to see what Watson is eventually traded for....

#1650 Jets79, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

with a guy like Watson you would always be in contention. Some years you wouldn't have the horses, others you might but you would always have hope.

Hope like that is something we haven't had here in forever

donkey, NOVAJET, chad2coles and 2 others like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Look at your post that I quoted in post #1624. You can't make a statement like, "You can't try to get Watson just so Miami doesn't get him." especially after all the other posts I've made saying why we should trade for Watson. Saying it the way you did ignores all the other posts I've made on the subject, and explicitly implies that's the only reason I want to trade for Watson. The thing about keeping him from the Dolphins was just an additional reason that the Jets should trade for Watson.

It was also bad because I had already replied to another poster who used basically the same wording implying that the only reason I wanted Watson was to keep the Dolphins from getting him.

But it's all good now.

#1652 NCJetsfan, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Ya what I’m getting at is he definitely has padded stats and both knees have had ACL tears.. I can’t justify giving up more than 2 + 23 + 1st Sea 2022. Throw in Darnold maybe.. that’s my max offer

Jets79 likes this.
  14. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

The "padded stats" thing means nothing to me. The fact that he's done what he's done behind a bad O-Line on a poorly run organization over 3+ years is more important to me. And I think that offer gets Watson on the Jets.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We didn't have choice of the QB's in '09.

There was one NFL starting QB in that draft and he went to the Lions on the #1 pick.

The best QB who changed teams that year was Ryan Fitzpatrick and he wouldn't have won for us in 2009 or 2010 either.

16. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

It also allows you to drop the QB if suddenly a Watson or Stafford/Manning pops free and make a move.

17. K'OB

A fair point but Sanchez was still a bad pick :)

18. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Connor Hughes addresses Watson and the Jets.

https://theathletic.com/2367905/202...-york-jets-mailbag/?source=emp_shared_article

REVISion likes this.
  19. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

And to make matters worse they trade up from 17 to 5 to draft Sanchez.
    Hindsight though makes it worse than it actually did at the time. I had hopes for Sanchez when he was drafted

K'OB likes this.
  20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know you don't want Watson just so he doesn't go to Miami. I never thought that. My point was just about focusing on the Jets perspective and not worrying what Miami does. Like you said, that is an additional reason or a bonus. I think it can lead to problems if you are trying to outbid them. Douglas needs to have an offer and stick to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.